Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2020.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My update failed on my Model 3, and now the update disappeared. I scheduled with Tesla Mobile Service but they rescheduled me to a Service Center appointment saying that the vehicle needs to be brought in for diagnosis. I asked if they could push the update again remotely and they said my car was "blocked from receiving the update because it failed" :(

Does anyone know if I need to bring it to the SC or if it redeploys again later?

My update failed on my Model 3, and now the update disappeared. I scheduled with Tesla Mobile Service but they rescheduled me to a Service Center appointment saying that the vehicle needs to be brought in for diagnosis. I asked if they could push the update again remotely and they said my car was "blocked from receiving the update because it failed" :(

Does anyone know if I need to bring it to the SC or if it redeploys again later?
Sounds like you already got an answer.

Reactions: brkaus and Fiver
Sounds like you already got an answer.
Yeah, I looked on other posts on TMC and others reported that after a failed update the software update was either re-pushed to their vehicle remotely or that they just received the next software update.

The answer about a blocked update I got was from a tier 1 CS rep and I haven't heard of it before so I wasn't sure. The CS rep told me that I wouldn't receive any software updates in the future without a physical SC visit which I have not heard of before on the forums.

The answer about a blocked update I got was from a tier 1 CS rep and I haven't heard of it before so I wasn't sure. The CS rep told me that I wouldn't receive any software updates in the future without a physical SC visit which I have not heard of before on the forums.

I wonder if that is a new policy to prevent repeated upgrade attempts that would excessively wear out the eMMC storage.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ and X Fan
First, If I am hijacking the thread, let me know and I will start a new one. Not sure how it all goes together, don't want to upset anything. So I am going ahead
on the supposition that this is a general software discussion thread.

At any rate, I am as confused as a milkman at a crematory.
I have two 2020 Model 3s, one built in Feb 2020 and one in Mar 2020. Except for color, they are identically equipped. SR+, no FSD.
Last week the Feb car (The Good Ship Venus) was updated to 2020.44.25. The notes don't appear to show any Earth shaking changes or adds.
Today, the Mar car (The Blue Bunny) updated to 2020.48.10. No mention of another update for TGSV. Usually, they get
update notices within a few days of each other, but in no particualr order.

1) I don't understand why the great disparity in versions, I would assume the
cars would stay at pretty much the same software level.

2) Most of the other software updates mentioned here are totally different numbers. after 2020.48. I presume this has to do more with FSD, which I do not have?

3) Both software listings are followed by a completely different string of letters
and numbers which appear to be in Hex notation. Serial numbers?

If anyone can shed some light on any of this, I would be in your debt.

• Love
Reactions: Daniellane
First, If I am hijacking the thread, let me know and I will start a new one. Not sure how it all goes together, don't want to upset anything. So I am going ahead

I have two 2020 Model 3s, one built in Feb 2020 and one in Mar 2020. Except for color, they are identically equipped. SR+, no FSD.
Last week the Feb car (The Good Ship Venus) was updated to 2020.44.25. The notes don't appear to show any Earth shaking changes or adds.
Today, the Mar car (The Blue Bunny) updated to 2020.48.10. No mention of another update for TGSV. Usually, they get

2) Most of the other software updates mentioned here are totally different numbers. after 2020.48. I presume this has to do more with FSD, which I do not have?

3) Both software listings are followed by a completely different string of letters

The two versions you mentioned are essentially the same. Typically a large number gap denotes a larger feature change, but in the case of 44.25 to 48.10 there aren't really any major user facing changes. It's a bug fix release.

Cars get updates when they get them. Doesn't matter if your vehicles are identical, totally different, have a slider set to advanced or standard, etc, it's just Tesla magic algorithms that make the decision.

Reactions: drdumont

This is not a “great disparity,” but rather one monthly build.

Tesla typically pushes a release approximately monthly. That doesn’t mean every car gets every release - in fact that’s usually not the case. You can decipher mainstream (i.e. not early access betas, etc.) version numbers roughly as follows:

Year.Week.Build.hash

So in the case of 2020.48.10.f8900cddd03a:

2020: self explanatory
48: release from the 48th week of 2020
10: 10th “build” of the week 48 release
f8900cddd03a: unique hexadecimal hash/checksum for the particular build

As mentioned, not all releases go to all cars, and Tesla usually pushes releases somewhat gradually so as to fix any minor issues that arise and avoid the possibility of incapacitating a large portion of the fleet.

So in short, your cars are basically one wide release apart. That’s normal.

Is anyone experiencing Dashcam / Teslacam issues with 2020.48.10? I updated this morning and immediately gave me the error that the USB was running out of space. I formatted it form the screen and the car can’t see it anymore. Tried 4 different USB drives formatted with FAT32 and ExFAT, windows and Mac, reboot a few times, no matter the car won’t see them.

@Fiver, and @ucmndd... Year.Week.Build.hash
Duhhh... Of course it's a hash code. I shoulda known that...
Thank you both for the concise replies.

It's kinda like the ABRP vs Range Anxiety and a few other items.
To Paraphrase Dr. Strangelove...
"How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The CAR!"

I just get in and drive, do what the car tells me, display The Tesla Grin,
and bask in the envious glances of mere mortals.

• Love
Reactions: ucmndd
This is not a “great disparity,” but rather one monthly build.

Tesla typically pushes a release approximately monthly. That doesn’t mean every car gets every release - in fact that’s usually not the case. You can decipher mainstream (i.e. not early access betas, etc.) version numbers roughly as follows:

Year.Week.Build.hash

So in the case of 2020.48.10.f8900cddd03a:

2020: self explanatory
48: release from the 48th week of 2020
10: 10th “build” of the week 48 release
f8900cddd03a: unique hexadecimal hash/checksum for the particular build

As mentioned, not all releases go to all cars, and Tesla usually pushes releases somewhat gradually so as to fix any minor issues that arise and avoid the possibility of incapacitating a large portion of the fleet.

So in short, your cars are basically one wide release apart. That’s normal.

For those who may not be aware, it’s pretty handy to turn on “week numbers” under settings/calendar on iOS.
2B509E69-553B-42CE-A3E9-2CD42439A625.jpeg

EA69F855-85E6-42F3-ADD8-E0013744DA92.jpeg

I recommend you use Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker. ev-fw.com It allows you to enter your updates keeps a record of your history. I think our average updates is about every two weeks for the at least the last year. I do this for both our model S and our Model 3.
here’s a couple screenshots to show you the history on our Model 3.
It is not necessary to provide your Tesla credentials. You would just have to manually enter updates as I do. Very easy. And it contributes two information for the Tesla community.
5303C92F-35AE-480F-91D0-30A2E209814B.jpeg
1D48F6E2-B5AA-4747-AFB1-3414095FB0A3.png

Is anyone experiencing Dashcam / Teslacam issues with 2020.48.10? I updated this morning and immediately gave me the error that the USB was running out of space. I formatted it form the screen and the car can’t see it anymore. Tried 4 different USB drives formatted with FAT32 and ExFAT, windows and Mac, reboot a few times, no matter the car won’t see them.

An update: it’s working now. What did the trick was I had to take it for a drive to “warm up” I guess and after a grocery stop it started working again, all of the USBs sticks working.

Don't know if it is the new software on my Model S LR+ but

1) Only get 40 Amp charge rate on a 90 Amp circuit ( 208 V )
2) Use 102 miles range to drive 58 miles @ 0 F deg. Wind not a factor. (too bad range mode is gone)

Could the FSD be sucking up all the juice ?

Don't know if it is the new software on my Model S LR+ but
1) Only get 40 Amp charge rate on a 90 Amp circuit ( 208 V )
Unclear what EVSE you are using? Have you ever got over 40 amp at the location you are at? etc, etc details vs vague statement.
2) Use 102 miles range to drive 58 miles @ 0 F deg. Wind not a factor. (too bad range mode is gone)
Could the FSD be sucking up all the juice ?
0F is certainly it. Also may be road based on conditions (wet, snowy, etc extra friction). Unclear what all heater settings (temp, fan, etc) you were using. I've experienced pretty low range at 14F

Range Mode Gone?
Yes on Ravens.

Unclear what EVSE you are using? Have you ever got over 40 amp at the location you are at? etc, etc details vs vague statement.
0F is certainly it. Also may be road based on conditions (wet, snowy, etc extra friction). Unclear what all heater settings (temp, fan, etc) you were using. I've experienced pretty low range at 14F

Yes on Ravens.
I have range mode on my 2019 Raven X...