Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm one of the lucky ones....still experiencing none of these problems whatsoever. I'm very happy about that but can't help scratching my head every time I read this thread.

BTW, consistently low 3G signal at my house.

v1.19.29 (For now I don't think I want the .31 update)

I too am on .29 and was having no problems until yesterday morning when I experience the problem described above of the screens staying in night mode and the --- for the outside temperatures. I rebooted the center console and it fixed the issues. But it happened again a few hours later and required another reboot to fix.

Yes I've seen all of those and also my odometer stopped working. I've been stuck at 295 miles for a week now.
I also notice that the car doesn't turn off on it's own in some cases ...

I've needed to reboot the main screen 3 times in as many days with 4.1 because the screen is not functioning correctly.

1) Stays in 'Night Mode'
2) Turn signals work, but don't get the 'ding ding' audio. Which as quickly become my indication that I need a reboot.
3) General flakiness, noticed this morning the air suspension wouldn't work (fixing a curb rash today, so needed to enable JACK mode).

Reboot fixes it. This might be related to screen sleep (which is enabled).

Anyone else have this problem?

Note to Mods: Probably should have a separate sticky thread per firmware version.

tomas, apparently updates are downloaded opportunistically, when you are out and about, stored, and only then are you prompted to install. Connectivity during install is secondary or irrelevant, therefore.

I guess I believe you if you tell me, but why did my 4.1 install schedule on a Tuesday, not install at 2:00 am as approved, reschedule Wednesday, not install Wednesday night, and finally install Thursday? I won't debate that download may be in advance of install and opportunistic, but I wouldn't be shocked to also find out that the car tries to connect at some point during install...

It's fun to try to guess how all this software works, but in the end what's important is that it does work...

tomas, apparently updates are downloaded opportunistically, when you are out and about, stored, and only then are you prompted to install. Connectivity during install is secondary or irrelevant, therefore.

I do not believe this is correct. When I was having my severe battery incident ... they forced the update to my car ... TWICE.

So, I think Tesla has complete control over the process.

I do not believe this is correct. When I was having my severe battery incident ... they forced the update to my car ... TWICE.

So, I think Tesla has complete control over the process.

I think you're all right in some respect.

Brian H is correct in that the download of the install occurs opportunistically, when you have connectivity.

Tomas is perhaps correct in that the install may only succeed when there's connectivity. Perhaps--for security reasons--the install performs some sort of network-based check or permission verification for the install.

Consider, for instance, that you've downloaded the installer package, but Tesla's discovered a problem with that software version--so they want to try to stop users from installing it. They could potentially block most of those installs from occurring by requiring the install package to phone home and get the green light for permission before installing. It's possible.

Steve841 is correct in that Tesla certainly has the ability to push updates to your car, perhaps even to the point of completely logging in to the OS like a server in order to snoop around.

So far 4.1 has been a really bad release so far as I can tell. I constantly get weird things happening like functions stop working, 12v battery died, doors pop open, etc.
I have to reboot every day or so.

Again, this puzzles me. I have 4.1, have been driving the car for 2.5 weeks, and have only rebooted the screen once. (Turns out I actually didn't need to reboot that time). While 4.1 is obviously not perfect, I'm not sure it's the release itself but something else. It almost seems like some people have corrupted installs.

How some people are having daily issues and I've had almost none points to something other than the version directly--as not everyone can recreate the errors. Incomplete install, corrupted install, something like that might be involved. Or perhaps something about your usage pattern is causing repeated issues, and my usage pattern doesn't trigger them.

I entertained the idea that the version that you upgraded FROM might be impacting things. My car was delivered with 4.0 and 4.1 ready to install. I get the impression those who started with earlier versions (3.9?) that have upgraded to 4.0 or 4.1 have seen more problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, this puzzles me. I have 4.1, have been driving the car for 2.5 weeks, and have only rebooted the screen once. (Turns out I actually didn't need to reboot that time). While 4.1 is obviously not perfect, I'm not sure it's the release itself but something else. It almost seems like some people have corrupted installs.

I received the .31 update on Christmas Eve morning. It was flawless for a week. Starting Wednesday, January 2, I started seeing weird things -- center screen not booting with the rest of the car or needing a touch before it would turn on, the turn signal sound thing, etc.

Since then I've been rebooting every 2nd day or so.

Todd, how would you rate your 3G coverage where you live and drive mostly? The notion advanced by Kishdude when in poor 3G areas could be possible. Perhaps the weirdness happens more frequently whn the car it's in a place where it gets stuck trying to connect.

Waiting for the bugs to be resolved

Not good. I wonder how many people who are reading these problems are going to want to defer.

On the other hand, that might mean I would get mine this year after all. :smile:

You are right I will not be placing my order until I see how the issues are handled. I purchased A Ford Focus Electric and the few issues I had were resolved very quickly and I have not had any other issues thus far.

Todd, how would you rate your 3G coverage where you live and drive mostly? The notion advanced by Kishdude when in poor 3G areas could be possible. Perhaps the weirdness happens more frequently whn the car it's in a place where it gets stuck trying to connect.

I live in an area with VERY poor 3G coverage. 1 bar at best if the car's out in the driveway. In the garage (where I leave it whenever it's home), I get between one bar and no coverage. (Cold clear days seem to have weaker coverage).

During the day, I have 3 bars in my office parking lot. I don't get wierdness in either place.

- - - Updated - - -

I received the .31 update on Christmas Eve morning. It was flawless for a week. Starting Wednesday, January 2, I started seeing weird things -- center screen not booting with the rest of the car or needing a touch before it would turn on, the turn signal sound thing, etc.

Since then I've been rebooting every 2nd day or so.

What version did your car originally have? As a sig, I'm guessing 3.9? Maybe there's something to this theory that the version you upgraded *FROM* is impacting the reliability of 4.1.

What version did your car originally have? As a sig, I'm guessing 3.9? Maybe there's something to this theory that the version you upgraded *FROM* is impacting the reliability of 4.1.

My theory is that it's 1.19.31 that's the issue. I have v4.1 but with 1.19.29 and it's been absolutely flawless and I don't seem to be missing any functionality.

Todd, do you have .29 or .31?

v4.1 (.27 or .29, I forget which). Prior to that, v4.0 (1.17.solongago). Prior to that, 1.15.8.

- - - Updated - - -

My theory is that it's 1.19.31 that's the issue. I have v4.1 but with 1.19.29 and it's been absolutely flawless and I don't seem to be missing any functionality.

Todd, do you have .29 or .31?

Unfortunately, the .29 is the release that wouldn't let me charge the traction battery because of 12v charging problems.

Wasn't that a hardware rather than a software problem?

Nope, that was someone else.

In my case, I updated to v4.1 (.29), then the next time I came home the car's charge port turned red with "charging stopped" and a message to disconnect and reconnect the cable.

If I left the driver's door open, thereby keeping the 12v system fairly active with climate control and radio, etc., then the car would charge. The moment the car went back to sleep (30 minutes) charging would stop.

They pushed .31 to my car the next day, that resolved it. That release was just fine for just over a week before I started to get issues on January 2.

OK, so my theory's still alive--that those that started with older SW versions but updated to 1.19.31 are having most of the issues.

If the update was not for all files--doing a complete OS reinstall, essentially...then there could be some files from the early versions that coexist with other files from the latest version. Maybe those files aren't playing nice with each other?

I'd like to think that each software update is essentially a complete wipe and reinstall, so that every car has the exact same software install. Otherwise you'd end up with a messy situation.

I have still not been upgrade to 4.1 - VIN628/SIG737. I had 3G disappear once after being in an area with no coverage for an extended period of time. I had to do a hard reset of the center console by popping a fuse at the direction of my service advisor. I don't have the manual handy to check the fuse number, so let me know if you want to resort to this and I will take a look.

I posted a problem earlier about losing my 3G connection. The problem has persisted for 4 days and the Tesla service center has been very good at calling me to keep me informed of progress on a fix. I decided to take the steps that digitaltim took and removed the fuse(51) to do a hard reset. It worked!!! I am surprised that Tesla staff are unaware of these fixes. I have to say that the car does not demo well without connectivity. You lose so many of the cool features. I hope Tesla employees read this forum.