Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be eager to see if 4.2 corrects the very bad decision Tesla made that keeps "range mode charge" locked on if you use it once. You must remember to turn it off again, rather than it simply working for one charging cycle, consistent with Tesla's advice that you use it only when necessary. I'll bet it's not long before some less-technical owner uses range-mode charging once and ends up leaving it in that setting for weeks or months, causing real degradation in battery life.

Anyone with 4.2 done a range-mode charge then checked the settings screen before the NEXT charge?

Will be eager to see if 4.2 corrects the very bad decision Tesla made that keeps "range mode charge" locked on if you use it once. You must remember to turn it off again, rather than it simply working for one charging cycle, consistent with Tesla's advice that you use it only when necessary. I'll bet it's not long before some less-technical owner uses range-mode charging once and ends up leaving it in that setting for weeks or months, causing real degradation in battery life.

Anyone with 4.2 done a range-mode charge then checked the settings screen before the NEXT charge?

My understanding was that it's SUPPOSED to switch back to standard mode...so hopefully it's just a bug.

Key Fob Not Present

Now that I'm on 4.2 I am noticing that occasionally it isn't recognizing that the key fob is with me. It's in the same place it always is - my jacket pocket. I have to unlock the car with the key fob before the message goes away and I can drive off. Anyone else seeing this?

Change the battery!
I'll second that, while my car was being worked on for some other issue last week, I mentioned the car seemed to have a harder time noticing the key fob in the last few weeks; he swapped out the battery on the key fob, haven't seen the same issue since.

Hopefully the key fob battery isn't normally going to need replacing every few months!

If you charge more than twice in row range mode it comes up with a warning say that you should switch back to standard mode to preserve battery life.

You're correct. We are back to the 8 miles a day of drain or so but if you're plugged in, not a big deal. I haven't noticed any random error messages yet so maybe this is the release they'll roll out a little wider.

I was on a road trip this weekend, parking outside three nights at different hotels in the LA area, temps in the 30's during the night and nowhere to plug in, losing about 5-8 miles per night. Fortunately I'm still on 4.1, sounds like that with 4.2 I would have been in trouble...