Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being in Australia (and awaiting a RHD Signature), I have to say, I have faith in Tesla fixing all their issues (and adding functionality) before we get our cars in late-2013/early 2014. It kinda helps with the waiting.

Here's my running tally of issues that still exist, have been resolved, or that I have not yet verified after 40 miles on 1.19.42 (v4.2):

My Fixed Issues:
1. Pano roof sticking
2. Album art is now properly downloading for my songs. I'd still rather use the MP3-stored art though. Whenever I play a John Williams song from a soundtrack, if they can't find the album art they just display an image of John Williams in a tuxedo. A bit odd :). Guess that was the cloud search result.

My Issues that still exist:
1. My right turn signal indicator on the driver's console screen is somewhat intermittent. If I have my right turn signal on, the indicator blinks and I get the turn signal sound, but the green background flashes off and on every few seconds, and the arrow/sound is not an even rhythm. It's a bit syncopated, for you music folks out there. Oddly, the left signal does not exhibit this behavior. I'll try to take a video and post it tonight--and will also send it to Tesla service.

Unknown status (Haven't observed it occur yet). I guess it's a good thing to be in this category:
1. Occasional door handle not extending or retracting.

2. Random Loss of 3G coverage, or difficulty regaining 3G coverage after being out of coverage for awhile.

3. Very faint, slight static when changing volume on the steering wheel.

Haven't checked yet:

1. Ambient light buzzing

A couple of days ago, I wrote off to customer care to ask:

Of course, still no response. My guess is that they figure 3.5 is the safest thing, and any cars still with it should stay that way. But if so, why not just say so? We continue to feel left out and ignored...

If they are randomly updating 200 cars per week, it is statistically very likely that some cars will wait a long time for updates (put 10,000 people in a stadium and have them toss quarters, someone will probably toss ten heads in a row). Better to use a pseudo-random process that picks up stragglers.

If they are randomly updating 200 cars per week, it is statistically very likely that some cars will wait a long time for updates (put 10,000 people in a stadium and have them toss quarters, someone will probably toss ten heads in a row). Better to use a pseudo-random process that picks up stragglers.

I would have assumed it was 200 new cars per. So once you get it, you are pulled from the pool. Of course, they seemed to have issued a minor update that may have started the process over again.

I still haven't received an update of any kind since delivery. I am still on version 1.5.something or other.

One thing that doesn't seem normal is that I cannot get the back door handles to extend out unless I tap the front door handles.
It seems that the back door handles would extend out if I touch them...but they don't.

I still haven't received an update of any kind since delivery. I am still on version 1.5.something or other.

One thing that doesn't seem normal is that I cannot get the back door handles to extend out unless I tap the front door handles.
It seems that the back door handles would extend out if I touch them...but they don't.

That's how mine have always been.

I was updated from 4.1 to 4.2 last night, I've only had the car a full week today.

This morning, after about 1 mile "Call Tesla Service" message displays, I call Tesla, give them the last 5 digits of the VIN, "yes we have some alarms from the car", "Is it ok to drive I ask", "yes, looks like a minor inverter alarm". Still no one in my local service center to ask when it can be looked at, very cold out here, 10-13 degrees.

Update: went out and started the car, the "Call Tesla Service" message went away.

Last edited:
Finally got my first update last night, from 1.15.14 to 1.19.42. So far all is good. I really had no major issues before, a few screen resets needed here and there.
Very cool to finally be able to have the auto-presenting door handles, voice commands, GPS linked Homelink.
Trying to get used to the new look (at least compared to 1.15.14) for the Energy app and the fact that the projected vs. rated range bar (forget what it was called) went away.

I'm installing 4.2 as we "speak." I had very few issues with 4.1 other than the pano roof bug. Then again, I live in Oregon so the only time that was an issue was when I was showing the car off to friends in my garage.

I'm much more troubled by the fact that my dad hasn't gotten any updates AT ALL for his car and he's Sig 417 with a VIN in the mid 500s. He's asked why and was told that there were a number of factors that play into when one gets an update, including geographic region and vehicle equipment. Well there must be something else, too, because we live about a mile apart (if that) and the only difference between our configurations is paint color. (and he's a Sig). I'm quite impressed with his restraint at this point; I'd be calling them on a daily basis and would have "asked" to talk to GeorgeB by now!!!

I just received the message this morning that an update was ready. I have the last version of 4.1 which was delivered with my car in early January. Other than the tire pressure monitor warning (that the tire pressure monitor is not working and it needs service), I have been very happy with 4.1. I have not had any of the other issues discussed, and even my pano roof worked fine. I also liked the fact I could turn off the displays as it has been very cold in Chicago and this decreases the vampire charge loss. I have never had to reset my displays in fact, and so again, 4.1 has been golden for me except the TPM issue.

My questions is for those that have installed 4.2, if you had the TPM warning, did this fix it? Thanks!

...I did some more testing on the way home from work and after pulling into the garage. Updates are in bold typeface.

Here's my running tally of issues that still exist, have been resolved, or that I have not yet verified after 90 miles on 1.19.42 (v4.2):

My Fixed Issues:
1. Pano roof sticking<--Not sticking anymore.

2. Album art is now properly downloading for my songs. I'd still rather use the MP3-stored art though. Whenever I play a John Williams song from a soundtrack, if they can't find the album art they just display an image of John Williams in a tuxedo. A bit odd . Guess that was the cloud search result.

3. Very faint, slight static when changing volume on the steering wheel.<--This is gone.

My Issues that still exist:
1. My right turn signal indicator on the driver's console screen is somewhat intermittent. If I have my right turn signal on, the indicator blinks and I get the turn signal sound, but the green background flashes off and on every few seconds, and the arrow/sound is not an even rhythm. It's a bit syncopated, for you music folks out there. Oddly, the left signal does not exhibit this behavior. I'll try to take a video and post it tonight--and will also send it to Tesla service. (Note: Couldn't repeat this on the way home for some reason, even though everything else was apparently the same. I'll keep trying).

2. Ambient light buzzing is still present.

Unknown status (Haven't observed it yet). I guess it's a good thing to be in this category:
1. Occasional door handle not extending or retracting.

2. Random Loss of 3G coverage, or difficulty regaining 3G coverage after being out of coverage for awhile.

(By the way, I'm surprised nobody else is giving updates like this for their cars. Seems like it would be comfort to those having issues and awaiting an update, as well as good information for Tesla to assimilate).