Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've had car almost a month and have never had to re-boot. came with 4.2. FWIW...

Usage pattern makes a big difference for the bug I mentioned. I usually have the rear camera and map displayed, and back up out of my driveway every day. I know my bug is fairly repeatable...but I haven't had the chance to fiddle to see what exact settings trigger it.

Wycolo: The date might be off due to not having the 3G signal. Definitely reboot and see what happens. After the reboot, give it 15 minutes or so to pick up 3G/GPS and get the correct date.

> The date might be off due to not having the 3G signal. [Todd Burch]

My trip the day following upgrade was to a different TelCo zone (small regional co). Probably why the '3G' did not appear on top of screen(?).
Yesterday I drove east to the TelCo zone from whence the upgrade originally downloaded and bingo, 3G appears and then correct time & date.
So there are 3Gs and there are 3Gs?!

With 4.2 I noticed 'slow servo action' when CC picks up. Don't remember this happening with 4.1. So now I 'compensate'.
--

After using Firmware 4.2 for a while, I just sent the following list of notes to Franz and JB. Some of these are software/firmware issues, some hardware, and some miscellaneous suggestions [...]

To those upset by Ben's nitpicking, I suggest that there's a very significant difference between someone finding fault with idiotic tiny issues on the one hand, and someone obsessively searching for a very high level of quality in even the tiniest details. The former is OCD and socially unacceptable... the latter is a good part of what got Apple to where they are today, and I think one of the key things that will drive Tesla forward.

After my test drive alone, I sent Tesla 30+ suggestions for improvement. Many of those were even smaller issues than this. But the point is to me a great car and a great company, even better. "Good enough" isn't.

Guys -

About 30-40% of the time when I go into reverse, I get "Backup Camera Not Available" - anyone have this problem? Most of the time, when I leave the car and come back later, it works again but still get it 30-40% of the time....

Aaron

To those upset by Ben's nitpicking, I suggest that there's a very significant difference between someone finding fault with idiotic tiny issues on the one hand, and someone obsessively searching for a very high level of quality in even the tiniest details. The former is OCD and socially unacceptable... the latter is a good part of what got Apple to where they are today, and I think one of the key things that will drive Tesla forward.

After my test drive alone, I sent Tesla 30+ suggestions for improvement. Many of those were even smaller issues than this. But the point is to me a great car and a great company, even better. "Good enough" isn't.

Fine. Send them to Tesla, that's where they should be submitted. As much as I'd like to think Tesla Motors has someone harvesting this forum, I would not assume that they do.

Agree that Tesla Motors should hear EVERYTHING. I've got to trust their judgement on sorting out priorities (although early returns on that are pretty mixed. Take, for instance, going in the WRONG direction by taking average projected range off the dash). Having spent years in software development, I understand that sometimes easy nits are addressed sooner than important stuff. Sometimes seemingly easy things take several releases because they are deceptively difficult. And, sometimes you make a brilliant change that you are absolutely certain will be well received, but it isn't.

Thank you for NOT putting your 30 items on the forum. My objection - and I suspect others' also - was not attention to detail in feedback to Tesla, but posting minutiae on forum. I try to use the forum to troubleshoot issues I encounter, and to share issues AND MORE IMPORTANTLY SOLUTIONS that I don't find reported elsewhere.

If forum becomes clogged with immaterial stuff and "me too" posts (and it's dangerously close), it's a shame for me because a valuable resource becomes more difficult to use.

I know someone's going to flame me here... That's my opinion anyway. I know some view the forum as a social outlet, and that the forum software measures members on number of posts rather than quality... so I understand that I'm a tiny planet in the universe who may well be orbiting in the wrong direction!

To those upset by Ben's nitpicking, I suggest that there's a very significant difference between someone finding fault with idiotic tiny issues on the one hand, and someone obsessively searching for a very high level of quality in even the tiniest details.

Thanks Rodolfo. Sure they were very small issues, but any little problem times one million cars over the next ten years (let's hope!) is worth fixing. And of course, one person's trivial nit can be another person's pebble in the boot. (or frunk?) I'd be amazed if Tesla isn't mining this forum for feedback, and there is strength in numbers. If they see a lot of "me too's" on a particular issue, it will certainly get more attention.

One solution might be to make a separate "Trivial Issues" thread for those who care, that others can ignore. To those who were annoyed, I apologize for the list -- but then again, a 41-page thread is hardly the place to be looking for concise solutions ;-)

One solution might be to make a separate "Trivial Issues" thread for those who care, that others can ignore. To those who were annoyed, I apologize for the list
Constructive feedback is a good thing, Ben. Keep it coming.

Besides, that Roadster in your profile gives you a free pass to vent once a month or so anyway. (Not that your post was venting.)

So, what's the consensus of the best process to report bugs (in particular bugs found in the software)? Being in the software business at a large corporation I can tell you that "report it to the company" is not the most efficient approach. It is better than not reporting it, but having it assessed and discussed at a public forum (as long as it is not a security bug, of course, which should be handled privately at least until fixed) gives the opportunity to size, refine and scope the issue before it is reported, and it also prevents the same issue from being reported hundreds of times.

The issue I wanted to report is not a big one but it is clearly a bug (receiving a call while the speech recognition button is pressed resulted in the call being put in limbo and speech recognition continuing until the button was pressed again, which the beginning of the call being considered speech input), it reproduces 100% of the time with my 4.2 software, and it might be a nuisance if you don't realize that you have to press the button again to pick up the call (the guy on the other side of the call doesn't know what's going on).

So, what's the consensus of the best process to report bugs (in particular bugs found in the software)? Being in the software business at a large corporation I can tell you that "report it to the company" is not the most efficient approach. It is better than not reporting it, but having it assessed and discussed at a public forum (as long as it is not a security bug, of course, which should be handled privately at least until fixed) gives the opportunity to size, refine and scope the issue before it is reported, and it also prevents the same issue from being reported hundreds of times.

+1: I also come from the software development world and I strongly believe the current way to report a bug is inefficient.

If many of the bugs I reported / found are still present in firmware 4.3 that would show the model isn't working.

So I haven't tested this theory yet, but I believe the way to reproduce the rear camera bug in 4.2 is the following:

1. Press the Controls button to bring up the control page.
2. Put car into reverse and back up, so the rear camera is displayed. Go back into drive, and my theory is that you'll have issues with the camera covering up other things (the Edmunds bug seen a few days ago).

This may not be 100% correct (I need to try it), but this is (I think) close to the scenario that reproduces the bug.

+1: I also come from the software development world and I strongly believe the current way to report a bug is inefficient.

If many of the bugs I reported / found are still present in firmware 4.3 that would show the model isn't working.

If you come from the software development world, then you must also realize that reporting bugs, and having your personal bug reports correlate to which bugs are fixed is not likely. That the company will aggregate the bug reports, de-duplicate them, determine which are the most critical and fix those regardless of which ones people might or might not feel like are their bugs.

I've had the car for about a month now, and I think 4.2 is pretty solid. I've noticed some quirks with the car, and I'm not sure which ones are mechanical or software; I suspect many are software.

1. Floating backup camera. I still get this once or twice per week. Resetting fixes this temporarily.
2. Browser is very slow and crashes. Resetting fixes this until the next crash.
3. Car not using shore power while preheating the car. I always start my day with reduced range, even when it is plugged in.
4. Left front passenger door unlocked and opened while slowing down at a stop light last week. Tesla Chicago said they would replace the handle.
5. Poor window seals. Even as much as 3d go by and still the window is wet after rolling down (not a software issue)
6. Phone contact pops up (on the console) when a call comes in, but after answering it, the dialer and contact information disappears in favor of what was previously there. This has happened once to me; usually the dialer and contact info stays in the window.

Other than that, I haven't noticed any real software problems with 4.2 that impair function or enjoyment of the car. I've contacted ownership about all these issues, and I will have Chicago service take a look once I go in for the door handle exchange.