Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seconded. If I'm at a supercharger and don't need range mode to get home, why use it?

Ummm. Perhaps I need 100 miles of added range to get home. I can achieve that with a Supercharger in less than half an hour, or at a public charger in 5 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps if the user puts the car in Park while the outside temperature is very low, a popup reminder to plug in the car would be a good idea?

That is a good idea. Just a quick beep-beep-beep when you shut the car off with an on-screen message. It might only really be helpful for new owners, but that's an important demographic.

Remember the much maligned Microsoft paperclip that used to pop up and annoyingly remind you of stuff you already knew, or didn't need? Please don't encorage Tesla to make my Model S like that.

Afreakingmen brotha.

This whole thing is twisting me around. On one hand, I'd like to see Tesla realistic about range, weather influence, cold weather overnight drain, etc. Better training, yes. Better documentation, yes. Projected average range on dash (vs. rated), YES. Give us the tools and training so we can learn faster and estimate better.

On the other hand, there's this concept of designing the software for an "average person", "new user" or some such, rather than someone who's going to use the car every day.... WHAAA???? C'mon. Every single one of us was an average person and a new user before we got our Model S. Anyone who buys a car like this is going to take the time to learn how it works, right? After they've learned, they don't need the "novice" interface. And if you think your grandpa who can't operate the VCR is going to buy this car, fuggedaboudit!!!!

Software that coddles and warns us every time we do anything, NO, NO, NO.

j.jpg

Remember the much maligned Microsoft paperclip that used to pop up and annoyingly remind you of stuff you already knew, or didn't need? Please don't encorage Tesla to make my Model S like that.

Exactly. Besides there already is a popup when you are charging. And it already prompts you if you want to Standard/Range charge. It happens whenever you plug in a charging cable. It takes up the whole 17" screen.

bit like the "GUEST" mode on your phone,tablet,pc

My STRONG opinion:

99% of the time, the car is going to be driven by experienced driver
We already have MORE software than any other car.
We do not need "novice user" features cluttering up UI, creating more bugs, creating more confusion, and distracting Tesla from what's needed for the REAL user.
From my experience, at least half of novice users (computer, TiVO, Tesla, anything) are not helped by more popups, just more intimidated and confused.

I've valet parked, given to attendant at car wash, etc. No problems.
Are you really going to let a valet charge your car????

How about a "Driver Guidance mode" where newbie-centric popups appear; for new drivers, valets, etc?
No, not something as poorly imagined as Clippy.
Thoughts?

While not perfect, I created an app for the Tesla that provides a set of instructions for 3 situations - Guest, Valet, and car wash. These also have slightly different instructions with graphics and advice. You access from your Tesla browser at: Tesla Guest Operation

Just make it full screen to show all the instructions. It includes English and Spanish versions as well. There are a few others apps like it around if you prefer a non-Tesla look.

I noticed that too, but I think the conditions were that I was using navigation, and then powered off the car while still navigating (e.g. I parked before it thought I had arrived).

I thought that if I canceled or completed navigation, the navigation UI's disappear, and the left-side-of-speedometer goes back to its prior display.

I noticed that too, but I think the conditions were that I was using navigation, and then powered off the car while still navigating (e.g. I parked before it thought I had arrived).

I thought that if I canceled or completed navigation, the navigation UI's disappear, and the left-side-of-speedometer goes back to its prior display.

Yup, for me it's always been when I got out without cancelling nav (since it doesn't always realize we're "there")

I've had to reboot about 5-10 times on 4.2 due to the rear camera getting stuck on top of the window order on the touchscreen. My car has 1.19.49 and it happened again today.

Should be easy to fix, but does anyone know if this issue is expected to be fixed in the next release? It's the only reason I've had to reboot in a long while.

Update to 1942 left me with date: Jan 5th or so. Time is 8 hours ahead. [Today is March 7th!]

Does this point to an incomplete update? Car drove normally yesterday on 120 mile round trip. Yesterday 3G never appeared on screen when I got into town, so maybe I need to reboot?
--