Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine upgraded successfully last night - 3:20AM PDT. My driver's side rear door latch stopped functioning (door wouldn't open from the outside - I could push in the door latch all the way and it would stay in when all the other doors were opening) earlier in the week. I called and the service guy said it was a hardware issue, so I scheduled a visit to my service center. This morning, after the update to 4.5, the door handle is working perfectly.

There are two fuse boxes. As you face the car, standing in front of the frunck, you want the box on the left side. Pull the cover on this box. You will see a bunch of fuses. Two of them are yellow (20 Amps). One of the yellow fuses is along the right side of the box (this is not the one you want). The other, which is the one you want, is along the top side of the box (closest to the front passenger seat). It sits between a 5 and a 30 Amp fuse. Pull this yellow fuse and wait for ten or fifteen minutes before sticking it back in. This did the trick for me (at least for now).

Thanks, that's the number 51 fuse. I pulled it, screen and fan shut down. Reinstalled it about 20 minutes later and screen and fan started back up. I left the windows down and went out there a couple of hours later without the fob, fan is still happily humming along. Oh,well. It was worth a try. The noise is pretty annoying, given that's its the only noise when the car is stopped.

Thanks, that's the number 51 fuse. I pulled it, screen and fan shut down. Reinstalled it about 20 minutes later and screen and fan started back up. I left the windows down and went out there a couple of hours later without the fob, fan is still happily humming along. Oh,well. It was worth a try. The noise is pretty annoying, given that's its the only noise when the car is stopped.

I just checked my car again and the fan noise is back. I agree, it is very annoying. Note to self: unless there is something you really want, delay software updates as long as possible. Or, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Yes, my house and my office are both listed three times. And of course the address is wrong (somehow my house number is 99 when our street stops in the mid teens!)

How odd. We observed the same thing today – the address is listed as 93 on our street, which actually ends in the low 20s. When parked in the garage where we charge, the iPhone app correctly lists our address as the car's location.

Hmm. It does seem like pressing the cable release should unlock both the car and cable if you have the key fob in your pocket. But I wonder if the car can actually detect the key fob when you're standing next to the charge port? We approach our car from the left-rear as we enter the garage, and we have to walk up to the driver's door to get the handles to extend (stepping over the UMC cable), and then walk back a couple of steps to unlock/unplug.

It sounds like exactly the same as our setup. I used to use the trunk latch trick daily but no longer. The car either doesn't try to detect the fob when the cable release is pressed, or it can't detect it in that location.

Sent an e-mail to service this morning and they said the 4.5 is temporarily halted. Probably a good thing based on others input.

Same thing, here, my work location also has multiple entries...I wonder if that is due to using multiple different charging amperages at each locale? I.e. does it save each time you use a different charging amperage?

Evan, Via Tapatalk

There is a disappointing number of regressions in these software updates. It feels like 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I figured that by a year into production (which we're almost at), we'd be purely into software-based updates, but they're still working out firmware issues. And we haven't even touched sleep mode yet.

I hope the pace of development really picks up soon...

4.5 improved a bunch of things, but produced two new issues:

1. Whenever the Homelink menu pops down the rear view camera display goes blank.

2. The improved fonts on the maps are great, and a bunch of other glitches are gone... but in night mode the side streets are nearly invisible and I don't see the route.

Mine upgraded successfully last night - 3:20AM PDT. My driver's side rear door latch stopped functioning (door wouldn't open from the outside - I could push in the door latch all the way and it would stay in when all the other doors were opening) earlier in the week. I called and the service guy said it was a hardware issue, so I scheduled a visit to my service center. This morning, after the update to 4.5, the door handle is working perfectly.

Mine did this during the update. I came back to the car after a time (assuming it had finished) and when I tapped the handle, only the handles on the passenger side opened, although I could hear motor sounds on the drivers side handles. I was a little freaked out, but when I opened the passenger door and the 17" screen came on, it said it was still updating. After the update finished, all was back to normal.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Whenever the Homelink menu pops down the rear view camera display goes blank.

Interesting. 4.5 works just the same as 4.4 did for me. If I'm backing out of the garage (with the camera on) and the Homelink pop down appears, the whole video screen jumps down an inch or so to let you see the menu. I had always wondered why it couldn't just cover part of the video window like it does with any other window that may be in its way.

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked my car again and the fan noise is back. I agree, it is very annoying. Note to self: unless there is something you really want, delay software updates as long as possible. Or, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

I never noticed a fan noise before, and still don't with 4.5. It's been in the mid-80's here, and the interior of my car has been plenty hot inside after sitting. Could this perhaps have something to do with the version of screen hardware being employed?

I've got a different issue I haven't seen posted here yet. I got 4.5 3 nights ago. Each morning after an "intended" overnight charge, I'm nowhere near full and the amps are dialed down to 5. The first night I though it was just user error. So the second night, I turned off scheduled charge, did a "charge now" at 30 amps, and waited to be sure it was running correctly. It was, so I went to bed. Next morning, only half a charge and it was dialed back down to 5 amps again! I just repeated the same scenario mid-day today. Started out fine at 30 amps. Checked 1 hour later, it's down to 5 amps. At this rate, I'll never get above half a charge. Any thoughts before I call customer experience?

I never noticed a fan noise before, and still don't with 4.5. It's been in the mid-80's here, and the interior of my car has been plenty hot inside after sitting. Could this perhaps have something to do with the version of screen hardware being employed?

That's possible, but seems unlikely. Your car was delivered 3/9 and mine was delivered 2/19; I'm doubtful they changed the hardware in that short period.

Update:

Tesla Service called to ask me whether the noise was coming from the top or the bottom of the screen. Apparently they are working on this....

I've got a different issue I haven't seen posted here yet. I got 4.5 3 nights ago. Each morning after an "intended" overnight charge, I'm nowhere near full and the amps are dialed down to 5. The first night I though it was just user error. So the second night, I turned off scheduled charge, did a "charge now" at 30 amps, and waited to be sure it was running correctly. It was, so I went to bed. Next morning, only half a charge and it was dialed back down to 5 amps again! I just repeated the same scenario mid-day today. Started out fine at 30 amps. Checked 1 hour later, it's down to 5 amps. At this rate, I'll never get above half a charge. Any thoughts before I call customer experience?

Silly question, but perhaps Occam's razor: Do you have the charge limit set to somewhere rather low? You'll see a little white triangle beneath the green charge bar...

Are you referring to the whine that sounds like a balloon with the nozzle being pinched? What I call a squeal that happens at high throttle?

My car is doing that all the time now and it's driving me nuts.

Did someone else notice an improvement in acceleration with the Model S 60kWh? I certainly do, car seems to respond more aggressively when stepping on it and the whining sound is gone too.

This one's not new. Any time an overlay appears over the video, you'll notice the video is blanked out.

It didn't do that before! If it needed to it would bump the video down a little and keep it going. Now it just goes blank (and I've only got one item in my Homelink menu so it doesn't even need to move it).

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you're firmly inserting the charge cable all the way in. If the pilot signal doesn't contact it pulls back to minimum current.

I received the 1.33.44 update on May 29th and immediately found several issues.

1) While seated in the car, the primary display goes blank for a split second - every 3 seconds.
2) When the car is locked, the primary display stays on - all the time.
3) No video from the rear camera - just a solid grey video window.

I've tried rebooting several times, with no change in behavior.

I picked up the car on May 2nd - this is/was my first software update.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experience something similar.

Thanks!

It didn't do that before! If it needed to it would bump the video down a little and keep it going. Now it just goes blank (and I've only got one item in my Homelink menu so it doesn't even need to move it).

Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood.

I just verified that the touchscreen fans now NEVER power down. They're not full blast, but they stay at a pretty decently high level indefinitely, even after the car has powered off. Not good.

- - - Updated - - -

I received the 1.33.44 update on May 29th and immediately found several issues.

1) While seated in the car, the primary display goes blank for a split second - every 3 seconds.
2) When the car is locked, the primary display stays on - all the time.
3) No video from the rear camera - just a solid grey video window.

I haven't seen any of these.