Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bluetooth still an issue

4.5 came down on Friday night. Noticed today that Bluetooth is still unstable - has been since 4.4. At present it's still stuck in "Bluetooth is Initializing" mode until I reboot the touchscreen. Will see if it's randomly rebooting and screeching at me this week while listening to podcasts.

Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood.

I just verified that the touchscreen fans now NEVER power down. They're not full blast, but they stay at a pretty decently high level indefinitely, even after the car has powered off. Not good.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen any of these.

Me neither.

Seems to me that the map has received some fixes. The traffic view updates more reliably, as does the day/night changeover which previously left me with half dark/half light maps. Better now!

+1 on day/night transition.

4.5 came down on Friday night. Noticed today that Bluetooth is still unstable - has been since 4.4. At present it's still stuck in "Bluetooth is Initializing" mode until I reboot the touchscreen. Will see if it's randomly rebooting and screeching at me this week while listening to podcasts.

No Bluetooth issues for me after 2 days, but didn't have problems with 4.4 either.

Last edited:
Same thing, here, my work location also has multiple entries...I wonder if that is due to using multiple different charging amperages at each locale? I.e. does it save each time you use a different charging amperage?

Evan, Via Tapatalk

I think it might be. My home shows up three times, and I've charged on 120v UMC, 240v UMC and now HPWC.

My favorite new feature: the touchscreen will now stay in Day or Night mode if either is selected. Only Auto mode will switch back and forth on its own. (I personally prefer Night mode all the time. Looks particularly good with a black interior.)

Wasn't that there before? Might be remembering that incorrectly though. I thought that has been a feature for awhile now.

I like the night mode as well.

Wasn't that there before? Might be remembering that incorrectly though. I thought that has been a feature for awhile now.

I like the night mode as well.

My understanding is that the selector was always there. But it would reset to auto each time the car was started up. Now, it remembers and saves our selection.

Anyone know if it is saved as part of the profile? I.e. can I save it as Night and my wife as Auto and it will retain it upon switching profiles.

My understanding is that the selector was always there. But it would reset to auto each time the car was started up. Now, it remembers and saves our selection.

Anyone know if it is saved as part of the profile? I.e. can I save it as Night and my wife as Auto and it will retain it upon switching profiles.

Ah, thanks. I had always kept it in auto.

Question for those who have 4.5: What does the iOS app look like on the charging tab? Still has Standard and Range I assume. If you toggle it, does it change the setting on the car? I would have thought they'd have to do an app update to coordinate with 4.5, but I guess not.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it might be. My home shows up three times, and I've charged on 120v UMC, 240v UMC and now HPWC.

Wonder if it is triggered by different volt/amps or by different devices. I.e. I only use a J1772 station I have. But I mess with the rate often so it can reach near completion by the time iI leave each morning. So I've used different rates ranging from 12A to 30A. I hope I dont have 8 instances because I used 8 different current rates.

Still waiting on Tesla, cannot install either.
"We currently halted 4.5 installs and downloads due to a bug found in the software. When a fix is available we will push the newest version to you. If you reboot the touchscreen by holding down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds the prompt to install the software will go away. Sorry for any inconvienance this has caused you and we are feverishly working on a fix. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me directly through email or by phone at 1-877-79TESLA."

"We currently halted 4.5 installs and downloads due to a bug found in the software. When a fix is available we will push the newest version to you. If you reboot the touchscreen by holding down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds the prompt to install the software will go away. Sorry for any inconvienance this has caused you and we are feverishly working on a fix. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me directly through email or by phone at 1-877-79TESLA."
Napabill=win.

It didn't do that before! If it needed to it would bump the video down a little and keep it going. Now it just goes blank (and I've only got one item in my Homelink menu so it doesn't even need to move it).

Doug, I re-checked and believe I am seeing what you're seeing. If I manually turn on the camera in the upper frame and hit the Homelink button, the camera screen does go blank. If the camera comes on automatically in Reverse and Homelink is activated, the video stays on, but the screen bumps down an inch or so to allow the pop-down to display.

4.5 improved a bunch of things, but produced two new issues:

1. Whenever the Homelink menu pops down the rear view camera display goes blank.

The rear camera app only goes blank if you are running it as a default app on the display (on all the time). If you allow the car to activate the rear camera app (only when in reverse), the app will remain in view when using the HomeLink menu — although the rear view image gets vertically truncated, and remains that way even after hiding the HomeLink menu.

Right. I use the rear view camera to judge when I've pulled far enough into the garage, so I've always got it on when Homelink pops up. And then it disappears on the way back out. Annoying.

My workaround is to put it in the bottom panel. That will have to do until they fix it.

Right. I use the rear view camera to judge when I've pulled far enough into the garage, so I've always got it on when Homelink pops up. And then it disappears on the way back out. Annoying.

My workaround is to put it in the bottom panel. That will have to do until they fix it.

Napabill=win.
Ditto to both of these. In general /cheer to Napabill.

Still running 4.4 happily. Looking forward to a fixed 4.5.

I've got a different issue I haven't seen posted here yet. I got 4.5 3 nights ago. Each morning after an "intended" overnight charge, I'm nowhere near full and the amps are dialed down to 5. The first night I though it was just user error. So the second night, I turned off scheduled charge, did a "charge now" at 30 amps, and waited to be sure it was running correctly. It was, so I went to bed. Next morning, only half a charge and it was dialed back down to 5 amps again! I just repeated the same scenario mid-day today. Started out fine at 30 amps. Checked 1 hour later, it's down to 5 amps. At this rate, I'll never get above half a charge. Any thoughts before I call customer experience?

To wrap this up, I called Customer Experience, and all they suggested was to reboot the screen. I did, and then things got worse (temporarily). On "Charge Now" the charge would cycle from 40 amp for about 15 seconds, down to zero amps, then throw a "charge cable fault" error, for about 5 seconds, then ramp back up to 40 amps. This very unnerving behavior went on continuously for 5-6 minutes, before I just unplugged and shut the car off (well, as "off" as it can be). Meanwhile, I was being scheduled for a service center call... a couple of days later. By the time I hung up, plugged back in and tried to charge, everything was fine, and totally back to normal. It's been 24 hours now, I've topped off, got her back to full charge, tried scheduled charge, various amps, all work perfectly. So my guess is, something in the 4.5 update occurred during my schedule charge, and got wonky. Rebooting the screen and restarting the car seems to have sorted it out. (Anxious three days though!)

Thanks for the reboot tip. Helpful.

Doug, I re-checked and believe I am seeing what you're seeing. If I manually turn on the camera in the upper frame and hit the Homelink button, the camera screen does go blank. If the camera comes on automatically in Reverse and Homelink is activated, the video stays on, but the screen bumps down an inch or so to allow the pop-down to display.

Same behavior for me since the update....

Question for those who have 4.5: What does the iOS app look like on the charging tab? Still has Standard and Range I assume. If you toggle it, does it change the setting on the car?

The iOS app looks the same. Setting it to range then back to standard from the app takes it to 90%, even if it was set at a different number before (I had it at 80%).