Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My auto wipers were definitely working well today. But I want to see how they behave with a very slow drizzle.

Okay, slow drizzle today as requested! Rainy week in general. I have two conclusions:

1. The auto wipers now work a lot more consistently. Before they'd erratically vary from way to slow to downpour-speed for no reason at all. That behavior seems to be gone.
  2. The sensitivity is still too low. In normal rain the windshield is obscured more than I'd like when they fire, but they're only a second or two later than I'd like. With drizzle this is a much longer period of time, and it's a problem especially at night. The high setting really should be the low setting.

I got 4.5 yesterday. Mine doesn't have the numbers on the charge slider, and the wipers are still fairly poor. Drove home last night in a slight drizzle (and sometimes just mist from cars ahead of me) and I still had to manually wipe. Cool new "swapping" animation for the apps on the 17" screen though :confused:

Quick update - tried the second remote and it works fine. Seems like the update only affected one of them - the last one used? Who knows...

I installed 4.5 (.48) this morning and the buttons on my remote are no longer locking/unlocking the car, nor do the frunk/trunk buttons work. Walking up to unlock (auto-extend) and walk-away lock are working fine, as are the iOS app and the controls on the screen.

Replaced the battery in the remote - no change.

So the proximity functionality is fine, but the buttons are not working. I will try remote #2 tonight when I get home.

Spoke with SC in Fremont and I set up an appointment for next Friday (for this and the annual visit - almost 15k miles!) - I am leaving town tomorrow and hoping that it doesn't develop any other issues while parked at the airport lot. At least they have chargers there.

It is a bit concerning that they are not able to roll-back an update when an issue like this occurs, as it could have made the car unusable if the walk up/walk away stopped as well.

Anyone else experience this?

Got 4.5 (.48) this morning. Now I have the display fan noise. I had my fingers crossed since I really have had very few of the issues others have had with updates. 3k miles on the car at this point. I'm going to try Todd Burch's suggestion with fuse 51 out for 10 minutes. I have not had to pull fuses yet.

The display fan is on even when the car is at "room" temperature in the garage and is switched to "off" manually via the touchscreen- fan stays on. I have some nice, high-quality FLAC files on my USB stick and I sometimes enjoy listening to music in the Tesla while it's parked in the garage - it's a pretty comfortable listening environment. Fan noise needs to GO!

While sitting in the S with it plugged in (120v), turning on the A/C caused current draw from the wall so "shore power" is somewhat active. Just running the audio and touchscreen however does not cause power to be drawn from the utility in my observations.

I like the larger fonts on Nav and did notice the different animations when switching apps. The "charge level" slider has two zones (daily and trip), but no indication of "miles" for the slected level.

Got 4.5 (.48) this morning. Now I have the display fan noise. I had my fingers crossed since I really have had very few of the issues others have had with updates. 3k miles on the car at this point. I'm going to try Todd Burch's suggestion with fuse 51 out for 10 minutes. I have not had to pull fuses yet.
So you are saying you never had the fan issue with previous firmwares and now with 4.5 (.48) you have it now? OK, definitely holding off on updating until there's more definitive information. I dont have the problem on 4.4 (which came with the car). I was hoping the reason was different hardware as mine was built after the early april re-tool (like getting the new handles). but now im not so sure.

So you are saying you never had the fan issue with previous firmwares and now with 4.5 (.48) you have it now? OK, definitely holding off on updating until there's more definitive information. I dont have the problem on 4.4 (which came with the car). I was hoping the reason was different hardware as mine was built after the early april re-tool (like getting the new handles). but now im not so sure.

I have an earlier version of 4.5 but that is the case for me. I never had the fan noise until updating to 4.5.

But then you won't be allowed in the "Bleeding Edge, Early Adopter Society." Membership comes with many perks, just can't think of any offhand!:smile:

#Fail

Jinxed myself. Got the fan noise since this morning.....:crying:

I let Service know already.
I'm with you Nigel, same situation. In my case it's not a 100%-on fan noise like some have described, but more like the sound a PC makes. I never really noticed it before so I'm pretty sure it's something new. I tried the "pull fuse 51 for 10 minutes" routine, no change. Even with the car locked, unplugged and powered down for 15 minutes, fan still running (can tell by sticking head through window). It's a warm day, but the Model S is in the garage and has not been in sunlight today.

Another oddity is the backlight behind the USB plugs is also on??? Something tells me the "vampire" drain will be extra bloodthirsty now.

I'm on 4.4. It was pretty hot on Thursday - and noticed the fan noise Thursday evening.

BUT, I also had a warning about low voltage - and that the car may not restart. The fan noise happened about the same time - which may be related - or just a coincidence.

Tesla's had the car since Friday morning - they're running detailed diagnostics and working with "engineer" to understand why I got the low voltage warning. Now they're concerned the problem might not be with the 12V battery - but with the 85KWhr high voltage battery system.

The local techs are continuing to work with engineering - and the earliest I might get the car back is Monday.

I've asked them to check the fan noise problem while they are checking out the "may not restart" warning.

Just got the 4.5 (.48) update installed. No fan noise, but I didn't have it before. I'm doing a Max range charge for a trip and it's up to 265mi with 4 min remaining. Lately, on V4.4, it was only going to 260-261mi. The charge is tapering off, however and going down to 20A.

Yes, this definitely needs some work. Slider should indicate % and approximate rated miles. Tesla, please address this in a future firmware.

+1 Tesla still does not have this right after several changes. They are iterating toward a good solution however. I would really like to know the rated miles I am 'charging to'.

- - - Updated - - -

Got 4.5 (.48 version) this morning, installed fine. Yes I now have the fan noise as well!

Last edited:
I've had 4.5 (.48) for a couple days. Did a range charge for a round trip to Napa today (standard would have been sufficient but I wanted extra margin). Temps have ranged from near 90 down to 65; I have not yet noticed the fan issue even when parked in the sun when temp was in the high 80's. Am wondering if this may be dependent on the HW build; my car was delivered in early Dec.

I've had 4.5 (.48) for a couple days. Did a range charge for a round trip to Napa today (standard would have been sufficient but I wanted extra margin). Temps have ranged from near 90 down to 65; I have not yet noticed the fan issue even when parked in the sun when temp was in the high 80's. Am wondering if this may be dependent on the HW build; my car was delivered in early Dec.
Well, many of the reports of fan noise are from owners of cars with build dates in your range. I haven't seen too many with VINs in the 8000+ range with complaints. Even so, I'm staying away from 4.5 til this is sorted out. (I haven't been promoted to install 4.5 yet, so doesn't matter at this point for me)

I got 4.5 yesterday and didn't notice any fan noise while driving. The only fan noise I heard was while charging afterward when the outside temp was in the high 80s. I figured the noise was from a fan intended to keep the battery cool while it was charging. Is that what you guys are talking about?