Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday and today, with 4.5, my auto-present handles functionality does not work--at least some of the time. I walk up to the powered-off car in the garage with my FOB, and nothing happens. I have to double-click the FOB to unlock and auto-present the handles.

I haven't noticed this as being a consistent issue with 4.5, but it has certainly happened a few times now. Anyone else noticing this?

Yes, I have experienced this too.

And just now, went back out to the car without the FOB, and the green charging ring and driver's console were on. Rebooted the touchscreen, will check again in a little while.

Yep, this too. I use the charge timer and the car is completely dark when I lock and walk away. I thought the display might be coming on when the charge starts, so yesterday I stood watch (with the key fob far away) and it stayed dark when charging began. Came out an hour or so later and the driver's screen was on. If I unlock and re-lock, it goes dark and seems to stay that way.

One other thing I've noticed with 4.5 is that the web browser stops working frequently and requires a re-boot to get it going again.

4.5 for me is a marked improvement in fan noise. My MS was one of those stuck at 100% all the time and that was really annoying. Now I can hear the fan only slightly and with any setting with the HVAC fan going I can't hear it at all.

Auto present handles were a bit sketchy at first with the "left/right" behavior deatiled earlier in the thread but they have worked themselves out. With that being said I've noticed that the front passenger side when touching the door handle doesn't promptly open the door. There is a slight delay in opening.

Other than that it's gravy. With the biggest bonus of having the auto-wiper feature not soaking me upon entry to the car!

As far as Vampire drain in concerned there isn't much of a difference that I've noticed post update. I traditionally loose around 8 miles per day when left unplugged (more initially then it tapers off but the average is 8 per day)

I think the additional vampire drain from the running fan is pretty minimal. 20 miles lost in 2 days doesn't sound too far off from what we've been seeing all along anyway, is it?

My larger concern was that the fan being on all the time increases the wear on the components, adding a lot of service "age" to the fan.

I would much rather Tesla just push me 4.4 again until this is all fixed...but suspect that won't happen, or perhaps isn't possible.

ClearWaterBchSteve said:
The Shore Power feature only partially works in my opinion. I think it would be better if when the car was plugged in and the battery is at or above the desired charge level, all systems should be powered by the utility leaving the battery at its current charge. What is the point of continously draining and recharging the battery while the car is parked and plugged in? In my observations, the utility only kicks in to supply power if there is a large power drain like the HVAC. Idle systems, audio and even using the touch screen does not cause power draw from the utility - still pulls from battery.

I've noticed that shore power is not used for audio/touchscreen energy too. I suspect there may be a few things here:

1. The car is probably not even capable of running the systems directly from shore power--they all draw directly from the pack or the 12V accessory battery. It would be cool if they were, but likely for cost/weight/hardware minimization reasons, it's not wise to do this.

2. The next best thing would be to exactly compensate power draw from the pack by shore power when accessories are being used. Tesla is effectively doing this with the climate control.

3. I haven't verified this, but here's my theory: The shore power almost exactly compensates the draw on the main pack only. The audio/touchscreen systems are powered by the 12V battery, I believe. I don't think the main pack sees a draw until the 12V battery drops to a point where it needs to be topped off by the main pack again. I suspect that when the 12V controller tells the main back to "top me up, scotty", the shore power increases to compensate for this. So effectively the touchscreen/audio ARE powered by shore power, you just don't see the draw until the 12V reaches its "top me off" threshold. (Technical terms).

1. The car is probably not even capable of running the systems directly from shore power--they all draw directly from the pack or the 12V accessory battery. It would be cool if they were, but likely for cost/weight/hardware minimization reasons, it's not wise to do this.

I'm not so sure about that. Prior to 4.5, my car NEVER drew shore power for anything after the charge cycle completed. Since 4.5, it does. I have a TED energy monitor on my 14-50 and I can see reduced levels of consumption (somewhere around 1 kW) when I get in the car and the HVAC, sound system etc. comes to life. The consumption drops to zero once I get out and lock the car. When charging, it's obviously drawing more than 1 kW.

I'm not so sure about that. Prior to 4.5, my car NEVER drew shore power for anything after the charge cycle completed. Since 4.5, it does. I have a TED energy monitor on my 14-50 and I can see reduced levels of consumption (somewhere around 1 kW) when I get in the car and the HVAC, sound system etc. comes to life. The consumption drops to zero once I get out and lock the car. When charging, it's obviously drawing more than 1 kW.

Just because power is going through the UMC into the car does not mean it's drawing directly from that shore power. What I mean is that the shore power is designed to exactly replenish what is being consumed by the car's systems. For instance, A/C draws directly from the high voltage pack. When it's drawing 1 kW, charging is increased to 1kW to balance this. The A/C is not being run directly by the alternating current coming into the car--that's all I was saying.

3. I haven't verified this, but here's my theory: The shore power almost exactly compensates the draw on the main pack only. The audio/touchscreen systems are powered by the 12V battery, I believe. I don't think the main pack sees a draw until the 12V battery drops to a point where it needs to be topped off by the main pack again. I suspect that when the 12V controller tells the main back to "top me up, scotty", the shore power increases to compensate for this. So effectively the touchscreen/audio ARE powered by shore power, you just don't see the draw until the 12V reaches its "top me off" threshold. (Technical terms).

This makes sense... synchs with my experience that if I leave the car for a half hour to go, say, grocery shopping; there's only minimal rated range depletion while I'm gone. However, often for the next few miles, I get poor efficiency... mebbe the 12V is getting recharged making my energy utilization look bad!

This makes sense... synchs with my experience that if I leave the car for a half hour to go, say, grocery shopping; there's only minimal rated range depletion while I'm gone. However, often for the next few miles, I get poor efficiency... mebbe the 12V is getting recharged making my energy utilization look bad!

This is just due to the fact that the energy use over that 30 minute period occurs over a distance of zero miles. When the value next updates, it's distributed over the next tenth of a mile, making that .1 mile's energy use per mile appear high.

Just because power is going through the UMC into the car does not mean it's drawing directly from that shore power. What I mean is that the shore power is designed to exactly replenish what is being consumed by the car's systems.

Fair enough... that could be what's happening. All I know is that prior to 4.5 nothing was coming from the wall outlet to replenish what was being consumed from the battery, even though others reported that their cars were drawing shore power in the same scenario.

I got V4.5 (1.33.48) last week. I have never had the fan issue (hearing is fairly good) and still dont. The auto-present handles works pretty well but I have had a few times even before this where they did not come out. I pushed and that brought them out OK. Its like I am going be the car multiple times and they pop out but I am doing something else, and then the one time I want to get in, it throws a mini-tantrum, or just gets tired. I'd guess I notice that failure like 1 in 40 or so.

When I first got the update and plugged in the charge cable, my HPWC thunked but I was set to not charge til 1AM. I figured there was a new bug. I would stop the charging, but it wasnt charging so I started it and then stopped it and the charger would shut off, and then a moment later come back on. I tried to 'fix' it for about 10 minutes before I remembered the forum discussion of shore charging. It would have made a good comedy video for those of you who know what was happening. Anyway my charger also does not come on when I just get in the car, but when the climate comes on about 15 second later then the HPWC comes on. When I leave the car it shuts off about 30 seconds later.

I enjoyed the direct to Delaware SC this weekend, and I think they have minor aesthetic updates to the GPS screen. Did it used to show stars at dusk on the horizon view?? Anyway I have seem no other problems with this download so far. And no reboots since the download either, at least not yet.

The Shore Power feature only partially works in my opinion. I think it would be better if when the car was plugged in and the battery is at or above the desired charge level, all systems should be powered by the utility leaving the battery at its current charge. What is the point of continously draining and recharging the battery while the car is parked and plugged in? In my observations, the utility only kicks in to supply power if there is a large power drain like the HVAC. Idle systems, audio and even using the touch screen does not cause power draw from the utility - still pulls from battery.

(Bolding mine.)

Well, not good for those of us on time-of-use billing schedules. For me, I would rather the car drain its own battery and then I'll charge it back up after midnight on the cheap rate. (That is, unless we could have some sort of... I don't know... sleep mode or something. I know, crazy.)

(Bolding mine.)

Well, not good for those of us on time-of-use billing schedules. For me, I would rather the car drain its own battery and then I'll charge it back up after midnight on the cheap rate. (That is, unless we could have some sort of... I don't know... sleep mode or something. I know, crazy.)

Same here. I don't want the car drawing power outside my 1a-5a super off peak rate.

Same here. I don't want the car drawing power outside my 1a-5a super off peak rate.

Interesting thought. Perhaps it should be user-selectable. I am also on TOU rates and have charging scheduled for off peak hours, but note that the shore power draw for powering accessories is much lower than charging current. I think when the cold winter months hit, I'd prefer to use a bit of on-peak power to pre-heat the car and the battery pack rather than set out with a cold pack and/or one that has lost some range due to temperature. At this time of year, using the battery and charging back up off-peak might be preferred.

@Trnsl8r, andrewket & mknox: Very valid point regarding not using utility during peak hours. Unfortunately for me, our electric company does not offer time-based rates :cursing: This seems stupid in Florida where SO much more energy is required during the daytime hours for A/C usage accross the state. Also, we are speculating whether slightly discharging the battery, then replenishging it while the car is parked has any measurable impact on the battery's future capacity/lifespan - it very well may make no difference... However, 10 miles per day of vampire drain could be equated to putting 3,650 miles on your battery each year without ever leaving the garage right?

Auto-present handles still work for me in 4.5 (.48). CPU/Touchscreen fan always-on seems to be only "downside" I've noticed with the new version. Would really like to see radio stay on if only passenger is in the car. Seems pretty dumb to have to leave the driver door cracked. The passenger seat also has a sensor (for the airbag).

Last edited: