Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, many of the reports of fan noise are from owners of cars with build dates in your range. I haven't seen too many with VINs in the 8000+ range with complaints. Even so, I'm staying away from 4.5 til this is sorted out. (I haven't been promoted to install 4.5 yet, so doesn't matter at this point for me)
Vin 11505, picked up on Thursday 6/6 with 4.5 .44 installed. My display fan runs all the time. It is fairly soft and if not for this thread would not have even thought about it.

I got 4.5 yesterday and didn't notice any fan noise while driving. The only fan noise I heard was while charging afterward when the outside temp was in the high 80s. I figured the noise was from a fan intended to keep the battery cool while it was charging. Is that what you guys are talking about?

When the temperature is not hot (such as in the morning), open the windows. Walk away, and let the car power off. Walk back to the car after 10-20 minutes, and you'll hear the touchscreen fan humming away. It's not to keep it cool (because the temperature is not hot, and the screen is off). It sounds similar to a PC fan humming away.

I've had 4.5 (.48) for a couple days. Did a range charge for a round trip to Napa today (standard would have been sufficient but I wanted extra margin). Temps have ranged from near 90 down to 65; I have not yet noticed the fan issue even when parked in the sun when temp was in the high 80's. Am wondering if this may be dependent on the HW build; my car was delivered in early Dec.

Our cars are roughly the same age. My fan noise most definitely appeared after going from 4.4 to 4.5 (.48). I've been able to notice it becase the Model S has been in the garage all weekend - it does not seem to be heat related. The fan stays on 24x7 regardless of temperature as far as I can tell.

Today's response from tesla service regarding the fan issue:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Service. We have reported your concern to our Field Engineering team. Please know that we are aware of this concern and the Firmware team is addressing this concern with the Field Engineering team. Hard resets can be performed at your local Service Center but it doesn't consistently resolve the concern nor prevent it from returning in most cases. It is possible that you maybe have to wait until a revised version of 4.5 firmware is released hopefully by the end of the month (this is a estimated ETA and maybe incorrect).

When the temperature is not hot (such as in the morning), open the windows. Walk away, and let the car power off. Walk back to the car after 10-20 minutes, and you'll hear the touchscreen fan humming away. It's not to keep it cool (because the temperature is not hot, and the screen is off). It sounds similar to a PC fan humming away.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't seem to have that problem yet. Knock on wood.

So all this talk has really cause me to pay attention to this fan noise issue. I sat in the car yesterday after it had been in the sun a long time with the sound system and HVAC off and, if I put my head near the display, I CAN hear what sounds like a PC fan humming. It is barely noticeable at all, and if the HVAC is on at the lowest fan setting, it is completely drowned out. Not an issue at all for me. My VIN number is in the signature below, if that helps in determining what generation of cars may have the issue.

So all this talk has really cause me to pay attention to this fan noise issue. I sat in the car yesterday after it had been in the sun a long time with the sound system and HVAC off and, if I put my head near the display, I CAN hear what sounds like a PC fan humming. It is barely noticeable at all, and if the HVAC is on at the lowest fan setting, it is completely drowned out. Not an issue at all for me. My VIN number is in the signature below, if that helps in determining what generation of cars may have the issue.

Same here. I have version 4.4. I never heard a fan before because I always have the HVAC on along with the sound system. I turned them off and sure enough there is a slight, barely noticeable fan noise.

Isn't it normal to expect a conventional PC (non-air cooled) to have a fan running? Are others experiencing a loud objectionable fan noise?

My VIN is S01055 delivered in early December.

Larry

Just as a note, my car 4 days old and loaded with 4.5... Power down the car, all lights offs the car/garage, complete dark. Fan continues to run at a high speed, tho slightly slower, after power down.... And there is a little light from behind the screen, leaks out where the dash meets the front vent at the right of the screen. Not much, but it's there. Also a little bit of light leak down on the floor below the screen. Figuring it must be an led on the circuit board behind the monitor. The monitor back light is completely off, btw, when powered down.

Fan never stops.

Same here. I have version 4.4. I never heard a fan before because I always have the HVAC on along with the sound system. I turned them off and sure enough there is a slight, barely noticeable fan noise.

Isn't it normal to expect a conventional PC (non-air cooled) to have a fan running? Are others experiencing a loud objectionable fan noise?

My VIN is S01055 delivered in early December.

Larry

Certainly possible the fan has always been running in previous software versions, thou if the fan was running, never made any sound my ears could easily identify or I found objectionable. The difference with 4.5 is the sound is noticeable and the quality of the sound (a slight buzzing quality) is annoying to the point I have to leave the radio on to mask the sound. If the sound was similar to the HVAC fan on a low setting, I may have not even noticed the additional sound, but it's not and I hope Tesla corrects this.

I cancelled my install and am glad I did given what I'm reading. This is the first time I've declined the update (started with 4.0 as I recall). Tesla need to get these updates rock solid, zero regressiosn.

Yesterday and today, with 4.5, my auto-present handles functionality does not work--at least some of the time. I walk up to the powered-off car in the garage with my FOB, and nothing happens. I have to double-click the FOB to unlock and auto-present the handles.

I haven't noticed this as being a consistent issue with 4.5, but it has certainly happened a few times now. Anyone else noticing this?

(BTW, yes--my "Auto Present Handles" setting is on, as it has been since the beginning of time).

Edit: And just now, went back out to the car without the FOB, and the green charging ring and driver's console were on. Rebooted the touchscreen, will check again in a little while.

Ouch. Tesla, methinks you guys need to expand your beta testing program...

Edit: Went back to the car 20 minutes after rebooting the main display, without the FOB. This time, driver's console was off, but the charge ring was still glowing green. Sigh...

Edit: Went out to the car yet again. This time, everything was off, and the auto-present handles worked again.

Last edited:
Well, many of the reports of fan noise are from owners of cars with build dates in your range. I haven't seen too many with VINs in the 8000+ range with complaints. Even so, I'm staying away from 4.5 til this is sorted out. (I haven't been promoted to install 4.5 yet, so doesn't matter at this point for me)

My plan as well.

Yesterday and today, with 4.5, my auto-present handles functionality does not work--at least some of the time. I walk up to the powered-off car in the garage with my FOB, and nothing happens. I have to double-click the FOB to unlock and auto-present the handles.

I haven't noticed this as being a consistent issue with 4.5, but it has certainly happened a few times now. Anyone else noticing this?

(BTW, yes--my "Auto Present Handles" setting is on, as it has been since the beginning of time).

Yes, on two occasions today. First time I noticed it. Had to click FOB to unlock.

Here's an excerpt of an email I just sent to ownership, so those interested know it's been reported:

Todd Burch said:
Hello,

I am Model S VIN P01653 and I have the .44 flavor of firmware 4.5. No doubt you've heard from everyone and their mother about the "touchscreen staying on" issue, so I won't bother to report that.

I wanted to report a few other issues that I noticed on 4.5 that I didn't observe in 4.4:

1) Sometimes, after plugging my car into the UMC in my garage and walking away, I'll come back to the car 30 minutes later and the driver's console screen and/or the green charging ring LEDs are lit. Clicking "lock" on the FOB fixes it and puts everything to bed. (New behavior in 4.5... 4.4 was fine).

2) It seems like the door handles pop out one side at a time (left, then right) whereas with 4.4 they seemed to come out in a more synchronized manner. At least that's how I remember it.

3) A few times since installing 4.5, I've walked into the garage to meet my powered off Model S, FOB in hand, and it does not auto present handles. Double-clicking the roof on the FOB unlocks/presents handles. (Was fine in 4.4).

Back when I was growing up, a long, long, time ago, I got interested in building audio equipment (anyone remember Heathkit?) and found that when tuning the radio I was unaware of any high-pitched sounds due to not tuning correctly. As it turns out, my family has a familial hearing loss issue. Move ahead to 1968, and I'm ordered to report for duty. Upon further examination I'm declared 4F due to my hearing loss and don't get sent to Vietnam. So now I'm enjoying the Tesla, and don't hear a damn thing. You think I'm complaining? Not bloody likely.

Certainly possible the fan has always been running in previous software versions, thou if the fan was running, never made any sound my ears could easily identify or I found objectionable. The difference with 4.5 is the sound is noticeable and the quality of the sound (a slight buzzing quality) is annoying to the point I have to leave the radio on to mask the sound. If the sound was similar to the HVAC fan on a low setting, I may have not even noticed the additional sound, but it's not and I hope Tesla corrects this.

That is exactly what I experienced. I wasn't following this thread when I installed 4.5 (I'll make sure to follow similar threads in the future!), and so I wasn't aware that the screen fan noise was an issue for some people. But I noticed the sound immediately when I got in the car the morning after the download. And I agree, it does have an annoying buzzing quality to it.

The new fan noise from 4.5 (.48) is annoying yes, but what is more concerning is the increased vampire power drain because the fan is ALWAYS on. My Model S has been sitting in the garage since Friday evening when it had 169 miles of range. The update went in early Saturday. Saturday morning, I checked to review the update and immediately noticed the fan noise. I have a very short daily commute (<15 miles round trip) so I'm trying the lowest charge setting at 50%.

This morning, the range is 149 miles (20 miles lost in 2 days??). Even though it's plugged in, it has not charged since the range is still higher than the "charge" setting so it's letting the fan and idle systems bleed off the battery until it drops below the charge level setting. The ambient temperature has been mid 70s to mid 80s. In the past i experienced a few miles per day of drain, but it's much more significant now.

The Shore Power feature only partially works in my opinion. I think it would be better if when the car was plugged in and the battery is at or above the desired charge level, all systems should be powered by the utility leaving the battery at its current charge. What is the point of continously draining and recharging the battery while the car is parked and plugged in? In my observations, the utility only kicks in to supply power if there is a large power drain like the HVAC. Idle systems, audio and even using the touch screen does not cause power draw from the utility - still pulls from battery.

I think the fan noise is a by product of a much more involved update in 4.5 which affects the entire power system (charging range, shore power, etc.) There is a lot of good feedback from owners on here. Many are noticing the same behavior with this update - let's hope the engineers are listening...

- - - Updated - - -

In earlier versions, when I would arrive home and put the car in park (radio/climate control off), I would distinctly hear the fan power down. I don't hear that now.

I noticed the same behavior before the update.