Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on 4.4 and do not have the fan noise. My absolute favorite thing about the car is the silence. I rarely drive with the sound system on anymore it is so peaceful.

Based on the reports in this thread I am therefore reluctant to install 4.5 and if the fan noise is the new normal I will be reluctant to install any further updates at all. It will be a shame if Tesla does not address this.

I found that not to be true. Place your ipad or iPhone on the dash of your MS on a sunny >80 degree. It will stop running in <30 minutes do to overheating.

Actually, I did account for that. See below the part that you quoted where I talk about situations of interior temps exceeding 100. On an 80+ degree day, interior temps will exceed 100 degrees. Then, the fan is understandable, but not when the interior temp is below that level.

I find Tesla's lack of response to the fan issue puzzling. They could say:

- the new default fan level is what it is because of reason X and we don't intend to change it

or they could say

- the fan shouldn't be on all the time, especially when the cabin isn't hot; we intend to fix this in a future release

or they could say something entirely different. What I don't understand is their rationale for saying absolutely nothing when it is
an issue that some non-negligable fraction of drivers find irritating enough to comment on.
Because owners complain non-stop about everything, even the most trivial. If they spoke out publicly about every forum-posted complaint, they'd need more employees for that than anything else.

Recommendation: If you want a response on the issue, email ownership. Note that in this behavior there's a decision on your part about which issues you think are important enough to bring to Tesla; if we flood them with trivialities then we dilute our message and/or their resources.

Edit
Preemptive clarification - The (now) underlined was a general commentary, not a specific reference to the fan issue. I don't have an opinion on that issue yet, nor do I have a good feel for whether it's trivial.

Last edited:
Because owners complain non-stop about everything, even the most trivial. If they spoke out publicly about every forum-posted complaint, they'd need more employees for that than anything else.

Recommendation: If you want a response on the issue, email ownership. Note that in this behavior there's a decision on your part about which issues you think are important enough to bring to Tesla; if we flood them with trivialities then we dilute our message and/or their resources.

Amen. And trust them. They done pretty good so far.

Came out to my garage this morning and the driver's console display was on again. I also notice that my bluetooth streaming stutters (iPhone 3GS) even when it's in the cubby underneath the touchscreen. Not sure if it did that before, as I've never used streaming from my phone in my car before.

Edit
Preemptive clarification - The (now) underlined was a general commentary, not a specific reference to the fan issue. I don't have an opinion on that issue yet, nor do I have a good feel for whether it's trivial.

I'm not proposing that a Tesla rep responds to every comment on the forum. In fact, I didn't even mention the forum. I said I don't understand why they don't respond to the fan issue. I did call ownership about this immediately after I got the 4.5 and noticed the noise. They kept me on hold for a few minutes and then transfered me (without telling me they were going to do so) to the Chicago service center which didn't even know about the issue. So much for ownership customer service. People are different so what bothers you may not bother me and vis-versa. But with this forum, it's pretty easy to objectively see what things people like and dislike about the car. And the forum is very far from being all negative and complaining as you know. When Tesla updates the software and introduces a new sound in a cabin which (aside from the pano/A frame/seat belt creaks and rattles) is amazingly quiet - one of the best things about the car in my opinion and something which everyone comments on favorably - and when lots of people notice this change, and when some fraction of these people also comment that they don't like listening to the new sound, it seems to me Tesla should respond (not on the forum but to those who call ownership about it) and either explain why it's necessary to have the fan on all the time or else explain what they intend to do about it in a future release. An open communication policy like this would be good for owners who would feel like they know what's going on, and also good for Tesla because people generally like to have their questions answered.

I'm not proposing that a Tesla rep responds to every comment on the forum. In fact, I didn't even mention the forum.
I was responding to this part:
What I don't understand is their rationale for saying absolutely nothing when it is an issue that some non-negligable fraction of drivers find irritating enough to comment on.
If you weren't referring to TMC here, what "comment mechanism" were you referring to?

I was responding to this part:

If you weren't referring to TMC here, what "comment mechanism" were you referring to?

I was referring to the TMC, but only to note that a number of people have evidently experienced the same issue. I didn't intend to suggest that Tesla should be posting responses on the TMC forum on this or any other topic, only that they should be open and communicative with their customers when they make a change in the software that a number of people seem to regard as not good.

I was referring to the TMC, but only to note that a number of people have evidently experienced the same issue. I didn't intend to suggest that Tesla should be posting responses on the TMC forum on this or any other topic, only that they should be open and communicative with their customers when they make a change in the software that a number of people seem to regard as not good.
I think Tesla have reached critical mass on vehicle count and, frankly, I think TMC has also on value. The existence of TesLive is a testament to the mutual respect and appreciation.

As such, I think it would be a great move on Tesla's behalf to consider letting a select group (more than 1 less than 20) be responsible for engaging with the TMC forum as an official mechanism for feedback and response. They should be able to do it on their terms (i.e. negotiated with TMC mods), but it seems like a significant opportunity for goodwill and product improvement driven by customer demand.

I doubt they'll do it, but I think it's a good idea. I don't want or need it to be George. I don't want or need them to hire a person specifically for this role. I do think there are Tesla employees that would be interested in spending a small amount of work time and likely a lot of leisure time engaging with the TMC community but they are discouraged from doing so. In the broad sense that's smart (you don't want all your employees spending tons of time on forums and speaking out with a company voice) but in a narrow sense they could be more engaged (a small number of employees that have been briefed on the expectations and protocol).

As such, I think it would be a great move on Tesla's behalf to consider letting a select group (more than 1 less than 20) be responsible for engaging with the TMC forum as an official mechanism for feedback and response. They should be able to do it on their terms (i.e. negotiated with TMC mods), but it seems like a significant opportunity for goodwill and product improvement driven by customer demand.

Like the idea, but as we all have different priorities that we think are important (where's my sunshade?) it would like trying to drink from the proverbial fire hose.

[/OT]