Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My version of 4.5 is limiting me to 60 on my HPWC; maybe it now knows the diff between an HPWC and a high-power J1772 (or the Roadster HPC with the adapter)?

It can't tell the difference between an 80A HPWC and a 75A OpenEVSE, it sets them both back to 60A

Because of the vampire load, I charge just before I go to work, not that I "need" to.

also, charging at the highest rate possible minimizes the "charging overhead", of the losses involved of running the chargers themselves

and finally, I paid for dual chargers, I damn well intend to use them, and I'd prefer Tesla to not override my 75A setting

Simply put, they are going to need a way once they start replacing the older HPWC fuses, to allow users to charge at higher than 60A, having to manually override the setting for each charging session is tiresome and a waste of time, they need a way to turn off this "dumbing down" they've decided they need to protect us from ourselves.

Because of the vampire load, I charge just before I go to work, not that I "need" to.

also, charging at the highest rate possible minimizes the "charging overhead", of the losses involved of running the chargers themselves

Charging right before you leave makes sense--both due to vampire load and to minimize the battery's time at high SOC. That can be done at any charge rate.

However, I disagree about charging overhead. I believe it's been found that around 40A is the most efficient. (I think TomSax did a study--looking between 0A and 80A on his Roadster). Lower than that and the active thermal pack protection is on for longer times, and higher than that and the increased charge rate requires more energy to keep the pack cool while charging. Numbers are probably a little different with the Roadster, but you're probably not better off at 80A vs. 40A...at least not by much.

Charging right before you leave makes sense--both due to vampire load and to minimize the battery's time at high SOC. That can be done at any charge rate.

However, I disagree about charging overhead. I believe it's been found that around 40A is the most efficient. (I think TomSax did a study--looking between 0A and 80A on his Roadster). Lower than that and the active thermal pack protection is on for longer times, and higher than that and the increased charge rate requires more energy to keep the pack cool while charging. Numbers are probably a little different with the Roadster, but you're probably not better off at 80A vs. 40A...at least not by much.

I'm waiting for a study on the Model S, for now I am charging at the highest rate possible to minimize charger losses (%85 efficient)
Unknown how much cooling/thermal management is needed as well, as no one has analyzed this for the Model S, yet.

I assume you meant 60A and not 60 kWh. I haven't seen the 60A message pop up since converting to 4.5 and have used a HPWC a couple of times.

Nothing "pops up", it simply lowers the rate to "60/60". Check your touch screen next time, and verify your EVSE is providing a Pilot signal larger than 60A as well. When you increase it over "60", then you get the "pop up" warning.

Nothing "pops up", it simply lowers the rate to "60/60". Check your touch screen next time, and verify your EVSE is providing a Pilot signal larger than 60A as well. When you increase it over "60", then you get the "pop up" warning.

Correct, that's what it used to do, but with 4.5, I'm not seeing that pop up warning and as Todd Burch pointed out, it isn't limited to 60A to begin with.

Correct, that's what it used to do, but with 4.5, I'm not seeing that pop up warning and as Todd Burch pointed out, it isn't limited to 60A to begin with.

My 4.5 auto reduces my 75A EVSE to 60A every time I plug in, as you can see, I had this behavior in 4.4 and it's continued in 4.5

image.jpg

My 4.5 auto reduces my 75A EVSE to 60A every time I plug in, as you can see, I had this behavior in 4.4 and it's continued in 4.5

View attachment 23753

If I recall, there have been at least 3 different 4.5 variants out there. Might be helpful to ID exactly which you have. Its possible the behavior is different among them.

I am suggesting to everyone, not just you as your pic does show it.

I'm anxiously checking this thread to see when 4.5 gets fixed :). I've been dismissing the update for several days now given all the problems folks have had. I might not have any problems with 4.5, but I'd rather not risk it.

HPWC limiting in < 4.5:
1. when connecting to a "potentially > 60A, non-supercharger station", it auto chooses 60A but you can override it
2. when overriding the setting above 60A, it's only for "single session" (you have to tell it again)

General car behavior:
3. store a "last maximum amperage" setting for each location
4. load a "last maximum amperage" setting for each location

Suspected < 4.5 behavior:
5. when applying 3, cap the stored rate at 60A

For those with an HPWC or EVSE at home with > 60A capability, I suspect they have experienced: 3,4,3,4,3,4,3,4,1,5,3,2,5,3,2,5,3...

What I'm curious about is if 1, 2, and 5 have been changed at all in 4.5 but I suspect "pre 4.5 behavior 5" might be combining with "behavior 4" and confusing the user experience reporting with 4.5 firmware.

Curious. I have v4.5 (1.33.48) and it definitely does NOT do the 60A limit, ever.

I previously had 4.4 and it always popped the 60A limit. And each and every time you'd try to dial it up, it would bitch, you'd clear the message and you'd be able to dial it up. It was annoying. 4.3 did not do that.

They need to put in an option "I am ok with > 60A charging" and not reduce it to 60A every time I plug in, it's really a PITA, I have go get back in the car and increase the charging current, dismissal the annoying message and dial it back to 75A.
If there is even a momentary power blip, it's back to 60A

Here's an email I just sent to service...I hadn't heard of this issue on here (4.5 v1.33.48)--I couldn't get the attached picture into this post (on iPad), however it showed a flatline energy consumption at 0, followed by a short spike to about 1100. It then reverted to normal (~320)--I'll update if/when I hear from service:

While driving this afternoon, my driver's console reverted to the "car off" display and would not display my speed (very unsafe!). I attempted to reset the driver's display manually from the steering wheel. When it came back up, it was still in the "car off" mode and temporarily gave a "service needed" warning. I then pulled over and manually powered the car all the way off from the control settings on the center console. When the car came back on, the speedometer did display appropriately. However, my energy consumption graph was off the chart--see attached--(although active energy consumption on the speedometer was within my normal city driving limits). I was driving at a constant 35 MPH or so at the time (no hard driving). You'll notice that the consumption history was at 0 prior to the manual restart. I did not reset the energy consumption, rather, the data disappeared.

The fob was in my pocket and I've replaced the battery within the last month. The car had no issue responding to the fob.

I have not heard of another incident such as this on the TMC forum, so I thought I should report it, particularly given the safety concern. Perhaps a service technologist can perform remote diagnostics on my vehicle?

Additionally, since the 4.5 update about a week ago, I've been hearing a vibrational sound coming from the front of the car while driving and when I first exit the car. It seems to be related in some way to the HVAC system (fan?). I did not hear this noise prior to the upgrade. I've heard others describe a new sound coming from behind the center console, related to the 4.5 upgrade. This may be the same issue.

Thank you for your attention to these matters,

Jeff