Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not really loss

What I am interested in, is how much loss there would be in cold weather, say 20º or less.
On another note, I have not run into any glitches with 5.0 myself.

More loss is my guess, but not really loss, but used to keep the main battery safe and thermally sound. I am guessing that if you can plug it into a 120 v 15 amp outlet, you will not have any problems in cold weather. That 120 v 15 amp circuit will give you 24 kW in 24 hours. More than enough to keep the main battery happy (warm) and leave you in the plus column of kW in the main battery.

It seems to me that when I unlock the doors remotely using the fob, the wakeup process starts. So in the morning, when I do this in order to unplug the car, by the time I open the door to sit down, it's ready.

Ah! In the morning, sometimes I walk to the door (it still auto-presents, right?) and open the car and put stuff in, then go unplug. Other times I hit the fob and unplug and then hop in. I may have more waiting at work than at home, as it turns out, since there I'm just "walk up, hop in, drive." (See, I'm easing into the new reality. ;-) )

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't it be COOL if they added a touchscreen "Sleep" and "Wake" times for the car so it would be ready for you in the morning and know when to go to sleep at night... Probably pretty darn easy to add as an option!

Oh, you genius (if it can do that). :-D Me likey.

Already running 5.0. Received a firmware update this morning, version 1.35.102. I am entirely unsure about what this update has done. The release notes look similar to the original, though I have not spent any time looking through it.

Already running 5.0. Received a firmware update this morning, version 1.35.102. I am entirely unsure about what this update has done. The release notes look similar to the original, though I have not spent any time looking through it.
They usually don't change the release notes for build updates.
I have added this build to the bug tracker - if you notice any issues, please add them there.

More loss is my guess, but not really loss, but used to keep the main battery safe and thermally sound.

Actually, according to Tesla's Walter Franck there is no battery management when the car is off (this is what he told one of our members via email):

The loss of range when the car is off has absolutely nothing to do with energy needed to heat, cool or otherwise do anything to the battery pack. The battery pack simply doesn't consume energy when the car is off nor do the systems that manage it. All of the "sleep" energy loss is going to onboard computer systems and providing the useful benefit of keeping them ready to start-up at a moment’s notice when the driver returns.

I myself am very skeptical of how accurate that statement really is, but it's something to consider.

I wonder about this too. I've been collecting stats on my car via the API and I've noticed the car wakes up every two hours or so. The temp sensors start working and the car draws about an amp from the battery doing something for about an hour then goes to sleep again. (This is under 4.5)

Definitely something going on there over and above just keeping the computer systems ready.

This probably belongs more in the vampire loss thread, but I suspect the occasional draw seen on the main pack with 4.5 has to do with the DC to DC inverter. With the high standby power required, it would quickly drain the 12v battery. A 100 watt draw alone would drain a 24Ah battery in just two hours. Therefore the main pack has to come on-line every few hours to charge up the 12v battery. With the main pack normally off-line, there is no thermal management. But once it comes on-line to charge the 12v battery, thermal management takes place. This is why you occasionally hear the pumps start. By significantly reducing the standby power requirements, the 12v battery should last much longer and the main pack can stay disconnected with no management required.

At least this is what I think is happening based on what others have said regarding thermal management and load draw without standby.

And when the car is plugged in... Does it not need to wake to maintain the battery to pull juice from the socket?

- - - Updated - - -

Try this again... When the car is plugged in, will the car bypass in favor of the external power source to maintain the 12v battery? And therefore take less "vampire" drain from the main battery?

Probably not. It only seems to use the charger only when charging the main battery pack or when the climate control is engaged. Others have noticed the charger does not engage until the main battery pack drops below a certain threshold before it starts charging again. So I would imagine you have to go through many 12v charging cycles before the main pack is low enough to engage the charger. If it could charge the 12v directly, then somebody would have noticed a very small ongoing or intermittent draw from the UMC. I haven't heard of that being the case, but then I don't monitor the power going into my MS at that level to confirm.

Hopefully they get version 5 back on track for full deployment. I would love to kick this massive vampire loss to the curb! After waiting nearly a month for 4.5, I don't expect to get 5 anytime soon anyway. I may just have to stop by the service center and have them do a side load as they put it. This is where they add the firmware but not install it. You basically get a prompt within an hour to schedule the install. Doing it this way keeps the amount of time at the service center to a minimum if just there for something quick.

Do you have parking sensors or the cold weather package?

No to both. I ordered before those were available. It does have a CF yaht floor though. Good thing though is it's a P85+ with tech, sound studio, pano, twin chargers, 21" turbine, air suspension etc and he said this same car now is $7k more than I paid with the recent price increases. So I'm happy.

PS, another service center I stopped at to charge said 5.0 is being worked on and a couple new cars he received they actually downgraded to 4.5 because of how slow 'sleep mode' recovery was and said it's one of the bugs they're working on. Hopefully that's true and they can atleast make it an option as to enable it or not.