Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Double Whine after 5.6 Update

Ok, let me start by saying I love the 5.6 update; everything runs more smoothly--and faster--from the maps to the web browser. One thing is weird though...I used to have the whine that comes from flooring it--often referred to as the pinched balloon whine--and after the update it's, well, different. Now, it happens less often at lower speeds, but at full throttle from 50 mph+ I now have a "double whine." That is, two separate and distinct whining noises starting a fraction of a second apart but coming from slightly different locations. It's not really noticeable with the stereo on, but very clearly audible without. Has anyone experienced this since the update? I have a 60kw MS, and this happens at speeds >50 at 240kw of power (completely floored, essentially). Is anyone able to replicate this...or for that matter confirm that it does NOT happen on their car? If it's the new normal, I will skip the service visit...

I enjoy the randomness. Kind of feels like Christmas when I finally get the update available screen. :smile:

For testing, In order to get a proper cross section of hardware configs, prior sw, climate, driving habits, terrain, etc. there are only 2 approaches I can think of: select cars scientifically according to all those criteria, or go random. Either way appears random to owners group.

I received 5.6 a few days ago. It's been great but I noticed that when plugged in my car does not go into deep sleep. If I unplug it does as I notice the boot screen on the dash. Is this normal? Should the car be sleeping even when plugged in?

Just an update to the preconditioning issue posted earlier, I verified this morning that my car did pre-condition the cabin via shore power.

Saturday morning it did it while ramping down the charge rate, I was charging at 30a and the meter jumped to 38a when I turned on the cabin heat
Sunday it was completed before I switched it on and the power meter showed 8a and my HPWC was doing the green cylon thing so power was flowing.

For testing, In order to get a proper cross section of hardware configs, prior sw, climate, driving habits, terrain, etc. there are only 2 approaches I can think of: select cars scientifically according to all those criteria, or go random. Either way appears random to owners group.

When I did large systems testing, we did both, some planned tests to hit all the cases, and some tests chosen at random, because sometimes the random dart finds cases you could not predict.

5.6 would really make up for having to put the snows on today.

What are "snows"? :confused:

99.JPG

Received mine yesterday as well. Two things stand out:

1. On the pano roof, the 15% setting was eliminated. I think that was a bad call. 15% was perfect for keeping the car cool on hot days while parked. 20% opens it too far and 12% doesn't create any airflow.

2. The north-is-up setting should either be on a separate button or in the settings screen. Every time you touch the map screen to pan, shrink, or expand it goes into goofy mode rather than staying at north-is-up. It's really a pain to use.

Everything else seems fine.

I haven't noticed too much of a problem with the maps. I am just happy to get the direction up change, it was much needed.