Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still on 4.5. But I may have been the last person that got 4.5. So, I was just about expecting the same for 5.6. Though the order doesn't seem to be the same necessarily.

When did you get 4.5? I got it on 7/27/2013, a full 9+ weeks after people started reporting OTA updates. By that time, people were already getting their second or third update to version 4.5, and the European 5.5 was already spotted for a couple of weeks, and two weeks later, 5.0 was getting delivered with new US cars. I felt so left-out... =( The same thing happened with the version before 4.5 (I forget the version number). And now, I'm afraid it's going to happen once again. I'll be so happy if I get it before 2014 this time around.

When did you get 4.5? I got it on 7/27/2013, a full 9+ weeks after people started reporting OTA updates. By that time, people were already getting their second or third update to version 4.5, and the European 5.5 was already spotted for a couple of weeks, and two weeks later, 5.0 was getting delivered with new US cars. I felt so left-out... =( The same thing happened with the version before 4.5 (I forget the version number). And now, I'm afraid it's going to happen once again. I'll be so happy if I get it before 2014 this time around.

I also received 4.5 very late in the game, right around when you received your update. But this morning when I got in the car, the update was waiting for me. Can't wait to get back to the station to check out the update & be able to charge at 1am at 80A!

Hopefully you will get the notification icon soon.

I also received 4.5 very late in the game, right around when you received your update. But this morning when I got in the car, the update was waiting for me. Can't wait to get back to the station to check out the update & be able to charge at 1am at 80A!

Hopefully you will get the notification icon soon.

I guess it's true that not having any bars will ensure that you don't get the OTA update, but the flip isn't. I have plenty of bars at home in the garage and in the office, and nothing yet. I probably got bumped to the end of the list for repeatedly asking to get the update when I had the car in for service three weeks ago. Serves me right.

Last edited:
Got 4.5 on 7/28. I went out of town, parked at the airport for 4 days, and came back on the 7/28 with it ready to go. Didn't install it til a couple days later as I was busy and didn't want to think about it since 4.4 was rock solid for me at the time.

I usually only get 1 bar at home, sometimes even none. Which could be why it took soloing for me to get it, and parking at the airport may have given it the signal strength it needed. But I'm 2-4 bars at work each day. But perhaps they only pushed it at night back then? Or I was just last in line. Can't tell which.

As of today, I still haven't gotten 5.6. Interestingly, I had to park at the airport all day on Wednesday, and didn't get it pushed.

Is it true you can sit in the wifi area of the service center and potentially get the update in their wifi?

No...

In 5.6 (and possibly in 5.0), there is a wifi profile included so the car can connect to wifi at a service center. Once you're on 5.6, Tesla states they will prioritize update to wi-fi connected cars first. So I guess when they release 5.7, that you could go sit outside the SC to see if Tesla will send it to you -- but there's no guarantee they'll send it while you are there...

Guys, given that Tesla said the rollout of 5.6 won't be complete until the end of next week, I suspect only about half of the folks have it. I'm P1577, VIN 1653 and don't have it yet either.

I understand the update-itis--I check my car every morning to see if the update downloaded overnight so I can install it before my morning commute...but unfortunately the firmware threads are starting to get full of "I don't have it yet" posts.

Not to be rude or to put anyone on the spot...just saying that I don't think those type of posts are useful.

Tesla has said the rollouts are automated. They're not going to see your comment on TMC and prioritize your update over others (too bad)!

I guess it's true that not having any bars will ensure that you don't get the OTA update, but the flip isn't. I have plenty of bars at home in the garage and in the office, and nothing yet. I probably got bumped to the end of the list for repeatedly asking to get the update when I had the car in for service three weeks ago. Serves me right.
Maybe you should change your handle to SFORabbit?

Just picked up my MS from the SC where they installed 5.6. They gave me a loaner with 4.5, and I really liked how easy it was to switch from AM to FM to XM when listening to the radio. That feature was absent with 5.0, so glad to see that 5.6 as brought this back. I know also can turn off the chimes on the PDC if I want. I will probably leave them on anyway.

How does one turn on/off sleep mode? I searched all the screens to no avail.

Just picked up my MS from the SC where they installed 5.6. They gave me a loaner with 4.5, and I really liked how easy it was to switch from AM to FM to XM when listening to the radio. That feature was absent with 5.0, so glad to see that 5.6 as brought this back. I know also can turn off the chimes on the PDC if I want. I will probably leave them on anyway.

How does one turn on/off sleep mode? I searched all the screens to no avail.
Controls>Display, then look for 'Energy Mode' Glad you have 5.6!

For those looking at VIN #'s on the roll-out, I am VIN P 8,XXX. I got 5.6 last night, installed fine this morning, all new features seem to be working great, even though I have terrible cell service in my garage (1.5 bars). It also detected and hooked up to my home wifi easily, even though the signal in my garage is pretty faint.