Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't noticed too much of a problem with the maps. I am just happy to get the direction up change, it was much needed.

Glad you like it. Direction-up is fine for the Navigon but for orientation I want north-up so that you can understand where you are in relation to the world. And when I move the map I don't want it reverting to goofy (direction up) mode.

Ok, let me start by saying I love the 5.6 update; everything runs more smoothly--and faster--from the maps to the web browser. One thing is weird though...I used to have the whine that comes from flooring it--often referred to as the pinched balloon whine--and after the update it's, well, different. Now, it happens less often at lower speeds, but at full throttle from 50 mph+ I now have a "double whine." That is, two separate and distinct whining noises starting a fraction of a second apart but coming from slightly different locations. It's not really noticeable with the stereo on, but very clearly audible without. Has anyone experienced this since the update? I have a 60kw MS, and this happens at speeds >50 at 240kw of power (completely floored, essentially). Is anyone able to replicate this...or for that matter confirm that it does NOT happen on their car? If it's the new normal, I will skip the service visit...

Bump...anyone else having this issue?

Posts moved. I figured you'd get more response here.

I have a doctor appt on Friday down the street from the new SvC in Scottsdale. If I haven't gotten it by Thursday, I am going to call to ask them if I can pop on by Friday for the upgrade. I am refusing to clean my screen until I get the screen cleaning mode in 5.6. And it's getting pretty mucked up.

Anybody notice that the info screen (after tapping the Tesla logo at the top of the 17" screen) has changed and no longer dynamically shows the status of the exterior lights? I was curious about when my brake lights go on during regenerative braking. Is the exterior light information elsewhere now?

When dark, turn on your rear cam while driving you can see when the lights come on.

Anybody notice that the info screen (after tapping the Tesla logo at the top of the 17" screen) has changed and no longer dynamically shows the status of the exterior lights? I was curious about when my brake lights go on during regenerative braking. Is the exterior light information elsewhere now?

I've heard this is a change they made in 5.6 (curious as to the reasoning :confused:). You now have to rely on the charging screen or the controls page if you want real-time status of the car.

I find this change perplexing as well. I assumed that all images of the car were "live" and that they were all generated by the same lines of code. No idea why they would want to create separate code for the about-your-car info screen.

What do you guys use that screen for? I've never used it except to read release notes.

I, too, used it for that purpose. As others have stated, why remove it?

Looks like I'm still experiencing range loss while the car is sleeping -- and at a higher rate than I did with 4.5 (which would lose ~7-8 miles per day, and averaged 7.2 miles lost per day the one time it was parked for a week at the airport).

On 5.6, I noticed it was losing ~3 miles while parked at work -- similar to 4.5. But I didn't take any specific notes on it until yesterday/this morning. We returned from an overnight road trip around 1:30pm yesterday and the car had 40 miles remaining rated range shown. I had it charge to 75% overnight, and I checked it just before 7am -- the dash showed 141 rated miles, and the charging screen showed it had added 107 miles of range... so 40+107-141=6 miles lost in approx 17.5 hours. If that loss holds, I'm now losing ~10 miles of range per day on 5.6. With the holiday today, I don't think I'll drive it, so will monitor it at ~1:30pm today and again tomorrow morning.

The car appears to be going to sleep since I see the dash doing its ~11 second wake up, and Visual Tesla gives me the sleep warning if I open that app while the car is sleeping. I did try rebooting both screens when we returned from the trip yesterday.

Last edited: