Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatever the monthly service rate will be, I'd pay a surcharge to NOT be on AT&T! Having worked for the Death Star in the past, and having zero coverage with them at home (versus 3 bars through Verizon), I'd be insane to prefer them as a network provider for my car!

On my 5540 mile trip in May / June I very often found that my cell phone had 2-3 bars or more while my S had 1 or none. I would really like to be on Verizon too, and 4G if possible!

Anyone else seeing the car not noticing dawn? As the day grows brighter, my headlights remain on, and the screens remain in night mode. Both are set to "Auto" mode.

This seems to have started happening since 5.6. I've rebooted both displays, will see what happens tomorrow.

Anyone else seeing the car not noticing dawn? As the day grows brighter, my headlights remain on, and the screens remain in night mode. Both are set to "Auto" mode.

This seems to have started happening since 5.6. I've rebooted both displays, will see what happens tomorrow.

Um... that's by design. 4.5 worked the same way (and I've seen the screens in day mode with the lights on...) I know that in AZ, headlights are required for 30 minutes after sunrise, and 30 minutes before sunset. I suspect other states also have that law (or something similar), so the headlights stay on long enough to comply...

That's $30 per month more than I already pay for my phone. Don't understand why it is so much. I currently still have unlimited data...

I always thought the WiFi hotspot function was a feature of the phone, not the carrier network. It seems strange that you would be charged extra just for enabling your phone's hotspot function, especially if you already have unlimited data! For that matter, how would they even know you turned it on?

@Denarius, I used to press on the "P85+" in the "About window" and hold down for a while to make the car drive off and reveal the picture of the Tesla staff. Now, I press down on the "P85" and it does the same thing. Although does my memory deceive me... is the 5.6 picture a bit different from the 4.5 picture I used to have?

Anyway: definitely "P85+".

My P85+ never showed a plus in any of the software windows. 4.5 or 5.6. Are you sure it ever did show it? I believe I emailed ownership and they said that the + does not show up in the software.

- - - Updated - - -

For clarification, I emailed them when I first received the car.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, @andrewket,

You're certainly making me question my memory but... mine said P85+.

If I'm hallucinating, then I'm gonna owe you & @Denarius a beer or three.

And @AlMc.

I have a plus and the displays have always said "P85".

I always thought the WiFi hotspot function was a feature of the phone, not the carrier network. It seems strange that you would be charged extra just for enabling your phone's hotspot function, especially if you already have unlimited data! For that matter, how would they even know you turned it on?

They look at stuff like the User-Agent: passed through by web browsers to web destinations, to see if it contains full-blown computer OS's versus the phone & mobile operating systems. Then they do one of two things -- either they give you a warning e-mail and throttle your data, or they tell you they're switching your data plan to one that permits tethering because you've done it anyway.

There is a lot of information out there - just Google it. Verizon lost a court case on charging for tethering, based on their acquisition of spectrum that came with open-access conditions. The rest of the carriers have somewhat conformed toward the judgment, in fear that they would be subject to the same if they were to be sued; however, if you have unlimited data, many of the carriers have not capitulated yet.

Got 5.6 early

So the new Seattle SvcCtr at the I-5 and I-90 junction phoned back, hearing that I needed 5.6 early but no other service. "Just come on in now. It'll take up to two hours. We can loan you a car but all of our Model S loaners are out." I elected to hang around and sip green tea from their espresso machine. They were finished in an hour but "Would you also like us to wash it?" Sure. Then up rolls the transporter truck with seven new Model S's and I watch them unload the beauties and drive them into a huge room (twice the service area next door) devoted to new car delivery.

No charge, of course. You may spend a lot up front on a Tesla but it sure does buy you a lot.

So the new Seattle SvcCtr at the I-5 and I-90 junction phoned back, hearing that I needed 5.6 early but no other service. "Just come on in now. It'll take up to two hours. We can loan you a car but all of our Model S loaners are out." I elected to hang around and sip green tea from their espresso machine. They were finished in an hour but "Would you also like us to wash it?" Sure. Then up rolls the transporter truck with seven new Model S's and I watch them unload the beauties and drive them into a huge room (twice the service area next door) devoted to new car delivery.

No charge, of course. You may spend a lot up front on a Tesla but it sure does buy you a lot.

Indeed. I've always found the service centers great

I just had them pre-load it when I got my tires rotated on Saturday. That way I didn't have to wait around for the update to complete and just started it when I got home that night.

- - - Updated - - -

They look at stuff like the User-Agent: passed through by web browsers to web destinations, to see if it contains full-blown computer OS's versus the phone & mobile operating systems. Then they do one of two things -- either they give you a warning e-mail and throttle your data, or they tell you they're switching your data plan to one that permits tethering because you've done it anyway.

There is a lot of information out there - just Google it. Verizon lost a court case on charging for tethering, based on their acquisition of spectrum that came with open-access conditions. The rest of the carriers have somewhat conformed toward the judgment, in fear that they would be subject to the same if they were to be sued; however, if you have unlimited data, many of the carriers have not capitulated yet.

Typically they only do this if you have a huge amount of data usage.