Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How exactly do you know this? This is exactly how mis-information starts. One example is charging with the UMC while it's in the sun. There is a temp sensor which will cut back charging even though the ambient temp is in the 60's F. That is a crappy design, that shouldn't be the customers problem. The clipper creek units do not do this, they sit outdoors, and charge up to 80A.

Your UMC in the sun is a completely different topic. That is in no way related to the firmware update. My post is not miss information.

If your car is not charging at full current there is likely a power issue that is causing it, potentially one that could cause loss of property or life due to a fire.

If you call your utility and let them know they will very likely send a technician out with meters and tools to analyze the problem and probably at no cost. (They like you, you are a big customer) All it takes is a phone call, tell them your electric car won't charge at its full rate and you would like them to check the power coming from the transformer while you are charging so the problem can be fixed.

If the issue is on your side of the meter they will let you know (and possibly what the problem is) and you can then call an electrician and pass the info on to them and they will fix it for you.

Your UMC in the sun is a completely different topic. That is in no way related to the firmware update. My post is not miss information.

If your car is not charging at full current there is likely a power issue that is causing it, potentially one that could cause loss of property or life due to a fire.

If you call your utility and let them know they will very likely send a technician out with meters and tools to analyze the problem and probably at no cost. (They like you, you are a big customer) All it takes is a phone call, tell them your electric car won't charge at its full rate and you would like them to check the power coming from the transformer while you are charging so the problem can be fixed.

If the issue is on your side of the meter they will let you know (and possibly what the problem is) and you can then call an electrician and pass the info on to them and they will fix it for you.
Ok, this is not rocket science. The utility guys will in most cases just brush you off(look up the multiple threads here). It's not that difficult to look at the dash of the model s, and see what the voltage drop is at no load, and under load, and decide for yourself if it's a good idea to charge, and or stay near the car to make sure that if something does happen, you can stop the charge. Since most RV parks will laugh at you when you tell them that their power sucks(I don't blame them), making trips with this firmware disability just went from super long to unbearable.

Let's face it, if the Model S UMC was robust, we wouldn't be having this discussion. House wiring problems will in most cases show up as the red ring of death on the charge port, or result in breakers tripping.

Is someone collecting data how many people see their 15-40 charge rate drop to 30A? I have a short run with the correct gauge right next to the panel. I had the electrician (friend/neighbor) check it again and it's perfectly fine, small voltage fluctuation is coming from upstream (i.e. the power the local power company is feeding into my panel). It's a bit frustrating to see my charge rate dropped to about 7.3kW... most of the time this won't matter since I simply charge over night but on the odd day where I forget to plug in my car (like, random example, yesterday) then noticing how much slower it charges when waiting for it to have enough charge to run today's errands... Oh well. Could be worse, I guess.
I sent a short email to ownership asking if there is an override...

Is someone collecting data how many people see their 15-40 charge rate drop to 30A? I have a short run with the correct gauge right next to the panel. I had the electrician (friend/neighbor) check it again and it's perfectly fine, small voltage fluctuation is coming from upstream (i.e. the power the local power company is feeding into my panel). It's a bit frustrating to see my charge rate dropped to about 7.3kW... most of the time this won't matter since I simply charge over night but on the odd day where I forget to plug in my car (like, random example, yesterday) then noticing how much slower it charges when waiting for it to have enough charge to run today's errands... Oh well. Could be worse, I guess.
An override would probably be a good idea. When you are dealing with electricity, things fluctuate. That does not mean the situation is unsafe. Myself, I'm not installing the update, I just wish tesla would let one opt out of some of these unwanted updates.

I would call your utility. They should come out and fix it for you.

Not to suggest the Tesla is not at fault, but could it be that there is a component upstream that is nearing failure in your case and The S is detecting that even though your part of the installation is good? Perhaps a transformer, etc. When you say a small voltage fluctuation, could you describe it?

Peter

Ok, this is not rocket science. The utility guys will in most cases just brush you off(look up the multiple threads here). It's not that difficult to look at the dash of the model s, and see what the voltage drop is at no load, and under load, and decide for yourself if it's a good idea to charge, and or stay near the car to make sure that if something does happen, you can stop the charge. Since most RV parks will laugh at you when you tell them that their power sucks(I don't blame them), making trips with this firmware disability just went from super long to unbearable.

This is why I'm so concerned about potential "false-positives" with this firmware update. The vast majority of public charging sites are not going to call an electrician out just because a sensor went off in your car. Maybe they should, but they won't. The real-world result is you just lost 25% of your charging capacity at those sites. Unacceptable, IMO.

I guess I am. I started a thread with a poll to keep track of this issue here. Feel free to add your concerns. The more people reporting problems in one location on the forum, the easier it will be for Tesla to identify and address them.

I will check but I believe it is. At work it pulls off a 100amp subpanel that also supplies our digital xray machine and two of our HVACs so I believe (could be wrong) that there may be some voltage/current fluctuations that may account for the drop. Ones at home are on their own dedicated 100amp sub.

Happy New Years BTW :biggrin: look forward to your expertise with 'solar' as many of us that invest in solar have been helped greatly by your knowledge..and willingness to share that knowledge!

I would call your utility. They should come out and fix it for you.
Fix what? The voltage provided is WELL within code.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to suggest the Tesla is not at fault, but could it be that there is a component upstream that is nearing failure in your case and The S is detecting that even though your part of the installation is good? Perhaps a transformer, etc. When you say a small voltage fluctuation, could you describe it?
Voltage ranges between about 237 and 241. Well within code (which suggests a voltage drop of less than 5% under load).

Fix what? The voltage provided is WELL within code.

- - - Updated - - -

Voltage ranges between about 237 and 241. Well within code (which suggests a voltage drop of less than 5% under load).

There is a lot more to power than voltage. Is the frequency within specs, is the voltage fluctuating, is the sine wave clean? A loose connection anywhere from the transformer to your outlet could cause problems that could easily be detected by the software of the car.

The utility should be willing to come investigate it with equipment. In most cases if appliances are damaged because of bad power on their side of the meter they are liable and have to replace the damaged equipment. I'm sure a $60k+ car is not something they would want to replace. (Although Tesla has helped protect them now.)

Transformers are overloaded all over the place in the US. I have seen 7 homes run off of one 15kva transformer. The utility is allowed to run them at 140%. 15kva may have been ok for 7 homes 30 years ago but it's not today. And we are adding an additional 10kva of load with out telling the utility. When I pulled my permit the code office didn't ask for a work request number from the utility. If that number is not requested or you the owner don't call, the utility doesn't know (esp if you have an analog meter) you are putting an additional 10kva of load on their transformer. If you tell them you did that they should gladly come out to investigate.

a4u2ysyh.jpg

abyda6y2.jpg

It was a little dark this am. But you can see the lower part of the screen that shows the area you are backing into.