Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made my annual trek from Napa to Tucson over the past couple of days. Have updated to .57 firmware. At the Shadow Hills RV Resort in Indio, CA, I had reserved a 14-50 spot for the night. When I plugged in got the warning message and couldn't get more than 30 amps. It was only showing 199v which I suspect is the problem. But it was a nasty surprise as I couldn't do a range charge. When I arrived at our place in Tucson and plugged into my 14-30 plug, that I used all of last season at 30 amps, would now only allow me 24 amps. No warning this time, just locked the amp slider. I'm thinking this firmware update may be a bit of an overreaction. Hopefully TM will modify the firmware to be a little less severe.

Yeah. I am currently on a road trip where charging is difficult and mileage is Terrible. It is absolutely critical that I do not install this update. The public chargers I used have a wide range of actual voltages and a lot of fluctuation. They are of course perfectly safe.

There should never be updates where it is vital to NOT install them. This is gross incompetence on the part of tesla. Again.

Yeah. I am currently on a road trip where charging is difficult and mileage is Terrible. It is absolutely critical that I do not install this update. The public chargers I used have a wide range of actual voltages and a lot of fluctuation. They are of course perfectly safe.

There should never be updates where it is vital to NOT install them. This is gross incompetence on the part of tesla. Again.

We, Model S owners, really need to clarify when it is appropriate for Tesla to make updates that impact our ability to use our cars as purchased. There seems to be a troublesome trend, of late, of pushing downloads that many of us personally deem reactionary. I would propose that all future updates be fully disclosed, as to the content and purpose, with the ability of the owner to opt out.

Alas, it appears that our "Big Brother" is overly protective at times.

I disagree. Precisely because I was plugging into a previously untested NEMA 10-30 dryer outlet at my parent's house, I wanted this firmware. If there was anything that could present a problem, I would rather it back off automatically if it could. If the wiring and transformers were perfectly safe and within proper specs, there wouldn't be a wide range of voltages and a lot of fluctuation. Charging at above 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit is just playing roulette. Why should a mass produced product do that?

We, Model S owners, really need to clarify when it is appropriate for Tesla to make updates that impact our ability to use our cars as purchased. There seems to be a troublesome trend, of late, of pushing downloads that many of us personally deem reactionary. I would propose that all future updates be fully disclosed, as to the content and purpose, with the ability of the owner to opt out.

Alas, it appears that our "Big Brother" is overly protective at times.

I understand that perspective, but what Tesla is up against here does perhaps justify unusually aggressive damage control. One more road debris/puncture related fire or another electrical fire (caused by house wiring or the car) could be a branding disaster and do long term damage to Tesla and the EV movement. The steps Tesla is taking are more drastic and precautionary than usual, but seriously, given the potential consequences, it's understandable and likely justified. Tesla needs a nice long stretch of good news and no calamities to get back in full swing. The inconvenience that these adjustments are causing is nothing compared to what a crash in consumer demand could mean to all of us in the long run.

Had another new firmware glitch on the weekend. I would enter a GPS destination, and it would immediately pop the directions up on the display. About 2 seconds later they would quietly vanish!

This was 100% repeatable every time and no matter what destination I entered. Fixed by rebooting the touchscreen. Annoyingly it took 15 minutes for 3G to come back and I kinda needed the GPS map!

Can the car somehow detect whatever effect a too small (big) gauge cord would have?

Yes, it measures the voltage as it ramps up the current from the EVSE and can thereby determine the total resistance of the AC feed. If the voltage drop is too high it either charges at very limited current or not at all. Don't know what the exact criteria were before the most recent software update nor what they might have been changed to recently, but that explains how some users have reported getting no or very slow charges when using undersized extension cables or poor wiring connections.

The lady that showed men to my $60 14-50 plug and space was astounded that Tess had an issue with there wiring. She claimed they regularly have an electrician inspect the circuits. Who knows, but I can say most of the occupants there spent an amount equal to or greater than what we paid for the Tesla. Admittedly, once a SC is installed in Cabzon/Indio, RV parks will be in my past.[/QUOTE

i,d be good with that also.

i,m 1500 miles from my S, missing all this drama, can,t wait to catch up and see what,s in store for me.

I disagree. Precisely because I was plugging into a previously untested NEMA 10-30 dryer outlet at my parent's house, I wanted this firmware. If there was anything that could present a problem, I would rather it back off automatically if it could. If the wiring and transformers were perfectly safe and within proper specs, there wouldn't be a wide range of voltages and a lot of fluctuation. Charging at above 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit is just playing roulette. Why should a mass produced product do that?

I agree. The voltage and amperage we are talking about can easily start a fire for any number of reasons. Detecting voltage fluctuations and drops and reducing or stopping the load will dramatically reduce the risk of fire.

If the wire path was installed correctly and is in good repair there should be no problem and you will get full charging.

If you are not getting a full charge then the owner, utility, and/or an electrician needs to be called and made aware of the problem.

If the wire path was installed correctly and is in good repair there should be no problem and you will get full charging.

How exactly do you know this? This is exactly how mis-information starts. One example is charging with the UMC while it's in the sun. There is a temp sensor which will cut back charging even though the ambient temp is in the 60's F. That is a crappy design, that shouldn't be the customers problem. The clipper creek units do not do this, they sit outdoors, and charge up to 80A.

How exactly do you know this? This is exactly how mis-information starts. One example is charging with the UMC while it's in the sun. There is a temp sensor which will cut back charging even though the ambient temp is in the 60's F. That is a crappy design, that shouldn't be the customers problem. The clipper creek units do not do this, they sit outdoors, and charge up to 80A.

This does Suck! totally forgot that happens. need to have a shade box in hot/sunny areas

Does this indicate that the sensor isn't enough to prevent fires/melts? Is that the reason for an additional software revision to monitor voltage fluctuations to control charging current?

The sensor(in the brick) has nothing to do with the UMC melting problems. The melting problems seem to stem from the 40A adapters not being seated all the way up on the undersized pins of the UMC adapter end. I have had no problems since making sure the adapter is fully pressed up against the UMC end.