Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope I'm not too disappointed with the new accelerator config. I can modulate my foot just fine, and would have preferred it apply directly rather than get smoothed out.

I suppose I can cross my fingers they'll make it an option, like the Sport setting for the steering. Most automakers in this price range play the same kind of games with the accelerator pedals and have some type of Sport option that allows direct control.

For me, whenever the re-gen limit line is shown, I can not get any closer than 5 kW to the line. When the re-gen line is at 5 kW, my car will freely coast when I take my foot off the "gas". If the line is at 40 kW, the most I get is 35 and so forth. In that vein, I guess it is possible that there could be a limit at 60 which doesn't show up on the display and you would actually get something less than that. I'll have to keep an eye out for that, although 50F is starting to become a distant memory around here!

I have seen the same thing, the regen line seems to be a "Hey you're not getting here" line. I'm pretty sure that there is a limit even after the line leaves the screen. Same thing happens when the battery heats up when really cold. The line goes away but there is still a regen limit that lasts for a little bit.

I AM seeing some unusual behavior with regard to what I guess has to do with sleep mode.
When my car sleeps in the garage (5.8/plugged in/WiFi but no 3G) I can't wake it up with the app, or Visible Tesla without going out to the car and unlocking it/opening the door. Once I do both the app and VT will connect. Is this normal behavior if you have WiFi but no 3G? Not a really big deal but this WOULD make it hard to monitor the car while out of town. Is this behavior the same if I park it at the airport with sleep mode enabled?
Al, if you are using an Android device, try killing the app (Advanced Task Killer Free works well)...I had the car sleeping at the airport all week and the only time I couldn't reach it was when I hadn't killed the app. That said, sometimes the car was randomly awake...odd.

You know, it is very possible that the reason they limited the sudden onset of max regen, as well as limiting the acceleration response when hitting the accelerator has to do with longevity and reliability of the motor. Both these changes in 5.6/5.8 reduce the amount of stress the motor and drivetrain see. I had my drivetrain replaced due to a 65 mph hum that started after about 3,000 miles of driving. Tesla engineers have no doubt been pouring over these drivetrains that they are replacing and figuring out what is causing them to develop noise. I would bet that this response change is part of the solution.

OK, let's connect some dots. NHTSA complaints re MS (that I know of):
1) Rear tire wear.
2) 2 road debris incidents
3) a single "unintended acceleration" incident (which everyone knows is usually a driver too proud to admit he/she mashed the wrong pedal)
Release 5.8:
* Revisions to suspension settings addresses 1 and 2 above
* Revisions to acceleration mapping addresses 3
If you are going to have a release intended (among other things) to mitigate an inquiry, you would address all outstanding complaints.

Not sure why the regen change, probably learnings about battery maintenance.
Regen has been said to be hard on the drive train. And there have been a lot of drive train replacements already ( I would guess over 5%, purely a guess). This was done for teslas wallet.

i feel there would be less issues with the regen if they had it ramp up a bit at the very end so that it did bring you to a full stop. This would also get rid of the extra distance the car is moving without the breaks. It has always felt like it leaves you hanging, which is slightly worse now that it is ramping up. I do like the slower onset of the regen if it would finish the job.

-----------

Bugeater, I guess I see it differently. If you are no kidding emergency stopping, once your decision is made, the lift of your foot and press of the brakes is nearly instantaneous and leaves virtually no time for the regen difference to matter. Until that decision/comprehension, your foot is still on the accelerator. In aviation, the reaction time you speak of assumes maintaining full throttle tthroughout that initial comprehension of the situation period.

If the situation allows for that coasting you speak of, it doesn't sound so dire.

----------

about the accelerator being slower, I did prefer the old way and I felt I best could control how I modulate it. Now it is easier to accelerate "normally". thus change in acceleration is probably where most of the efficiencies people are talking about are coming from. That being said, I still get low 4.2-4.4 zero to sixty times (tested yesterday with a stopwatch). Just as fast as before. That and the fact I'm sure my braking distance hasn't lost more than a foot or two tells me I haven't lost the p part of my p85+ (the loss of slightly more regen onset doesn't make my car any less of a performance car, the friction brakes do all of the performance).

I spoke with ownership yesterday about the air suspension height and regen settings. These rep has no knowledge outside of the release notes so he put requests in with the engineering teams to answer my questions. I just got off the phone with him today about 5 minutes ago with the responses back from the engineering teams.

Their responses were:

1) regen settings have NOT been changed at all between 4.5 and 5.8. They said IF we think something had changed it probably cold weather related.

2) they had no knowledge of ANY speed that would switch the cat to low height air suspension. It should be completely disabled until a new version release in January.

Obviously they are wrong about #2 since we verified it lowers at 96.5 mph. If they are wrong about #2, I seriously have doubts about #1. Plus we know their internal technical knowledge distribution sucks between groups. But with an inquiry directly to their engineering team that doesn't know about #2... Seriously? I mean I guess that's not surprising either if they can't even roll out a web site update without screwing the entire site up for most of the day like they did yesterday. (I posted pics of that in a different thread, confirmed by others). Plus each car software update came with its new features as well as new "bugs." (They're QA team SUCKS...that's assuming they even have one, hah for all we know the developers that write the code are the ones doing the integration testings too, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here). ALSO their internal anonymous software engineer employee reviews on glassdoor.com aren't very good either.

Put all of that together and it describes an immature and inexperienced software team. As Tesla itself is young, all of this is not very surprising and honestly a little expected. They will mature and improve with experience and the right technical management (aka as long as they don't promote to team leaders from within just for the hell of it when it's not deserved and the person doesn't have the technical know-how for the role, then they will succeed). They nailed most of the non-programming aspect of this car down which is probably where 99% of their focus was...they just have a little more work to do on the software side of the world.

Don't get me wrong. This car is still phenomenal , not perfect, but still phenomenal and loving it. They still have my trust and belief...as long as they give us control of suspension height and transitions to low back in January that is :)

The other possible answer is that they never asked engineering and all you got was the corporate line on these two items. I'm not saying that their QA doesn't stink, I've said that a few times and had people just come out of the woodwork to fight me on that, but unless you speak directly with the engineer you have no idea where that info actually came from. I think it is unlikely that someone in on phone support would actually be authorized to get info from engineering to share with a customer. I suspect what you got was very filtered.

1) regen settings have NOT been changed at all between 4.5 and 5.8. They said IF we think something had changed it probably cold weather related.

Ugh. That is clearly not true. I've mentioned it several times in this very thread, but the first time I drove the car with 5.8 was in sunny, warm So Cal. I noticed the difference in regen immediately. Clearly they need to get their act together and realize that they are in fact messing with these settings.

If Telsa came out and said these issues were due to a bug in the power train firmware and they are working on a fix, that would totally be fine by me. However, not even acknowledging the change is very concerning.

You know, it is very possible that the reason they limited the sudden onset of max regen, as well as limiting the acceleration response when hitting the accelerator has to do with longevity and reliability of the motor. Both these changes in 5.6/5.8 reduce the amount of stress the motor and drivetrain see. I had my drivetrain replaced due to a 65 mph hum that started after about 3,000 miles of driving. Tesla engineers have no doubt been pouring over these drivetrains that they are replacing and figuring out what is causing them to develop noise. I would bet that this response change is part of the solution.

There were no changes, as far as I have heard, in 5.6. I believe they were introduced in 5.8. I would love to be wrong about that since my car came with 5.6. If 5.6 -> 5.8 was only about the suspension I would be happy. But I think others moving from 5.6 to 5.8 have reported noticing differences.

I wonder if some of the change were feeling is due to a change in creep mode. Creep seems much faster and I think that may be why I'm using the brakes more. I never looked at what speed I creeped at before but it's 4-5 mph now. It seems way too fast and I turned creep off today after using it for 4 months.

2) they had no knowledge of ANY speed that would switch the cat to low height air suspension. It should be completely disabled until a new version release in January.

Now this is interesting because the regional service manager called me last night to find out why I wasn't on 5.8. He actually said that it still lowers, just to different heights. I didn't bother to call him out on that, but clearly there is no more communication with the staff than there is with us.

It seems like they are following the Star Trek movies. Every other one is bad.

And yes, I'm still loving the car, but I'm not upgrading to 5.8 unless there is a real reason to.

I spoke with ownership yesterday about the air suspension height and regen settings. These rep has no knowledge outside of the release notes so he put requests in with the engineering teams to answer my questions. I just got off the phone with him today about 5 minutes ago with the responses back from the engineering teams.

Their responses were:

Baloney!

Regen has indeed been changed. And there are just too many reporting the same thing from various parts of the country to be a temperature thing. I can not explain why others report no change.

I am especially unhappy as a recent software change for the LEAF reduced the already mild regen even further.

Had you driven my car before and after you would understand and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

To my post from last night, I really think this change may be affecting different cars differently.
i wonder if there is a correlation to the different regen feelings with different creep settings. for reference, i have creep on and feel a subtle change in the regen profile.

I wonder if some of the change were feeling is due to a change in creep mode. Creep seems much faster and I think that may be why I'm using the brakes more. I never looked at what speed I creeped at before but it's 4-5 mph now. It seems way too fast and I turned creep off today after using it for 4 months.
I think theres a possible correlation. i actually wonder if the creep setting explains the big difference in regen experience.

Umm... creep should only affect it at low speed (<5 mph). I think most of us here are talking about regen while exiting a freeway at speeds greater than 60 mph. At least this is when I find it most noticeable.

I am not getting much renen at low speeds, however when on the highway and I let off it's pretty dramatic...it was like that at low speeds but not anymore. I downloaded 5.8 last week. :-:)crying: