Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else think this two day roll out is strangely aggressive? Suspiciously so...
I have mixed thoughts on this.

1. With 5.6, owners were clamoring for them to get around to rolling it out. And they finally started to open those gates, but still not as quickly as some one. Part of the "promise" of 5.6, was to enable even faster rollouts with wifi. With 5.8, they're testing and proving out that possibility. Good thing.
2. With 5.8 -- as discussed in the branch thread -- there's discussion about Low no longer auto-engaging at high speeds, without an option in the car UI to retain the old behavior. This has a potential impact on range of the vehicle and thus is potentially "somewhat troubling" for those that have long range trips planned in the near future. Good PR thing, maybe a short-term bad thing for some owners.

If they included a setting in 5.8 to retain the old behavior, then #2 would be a pure good thing rather than a mixed bag.

I'm not saying they should have held 5.8 for such a setting, I just hope that it comes soon in 5.9 or whatever.

Last edited:
@brianman

Agree with your point 2. As I said in another thread IMO this is a "quick fix change" to work out the situation immediately but I am sure that in the future Tesla will find out a better solution allowing the air suspensions to lower again at high speed.

New style:
tuqeqahu.jpg

Also notice the difference between the odometer and the trip meter. Apparently the car thinks it went on a trip 1 mile further than the car actually went. lol

Yeah, the trip odometer variation has been reported many months back, on previous OS versions. Believed to be a rounding thing that the main odo doesn't worry itself about.

Doesn't look like the clock font has changed. Never can see the clock first try. All other cars I have ever owned with digital clocks had at least twice the size.

Some of us old farmers have old eyes, and the sweet young things that do the programming don't see any reason to enlarge the clock font.

Now that they've added wiper maintenance mode, I've learned the wipers only lift a little ways away from the windshield, and they snap right back (don't hold themselves away from the windshield). I was hoping I would be able to stand the wipers up to make cleaning the windshield easier, but no dice. Wiper maintenance mode helps a little bit, but not nearly as much as I'd hoped.

Just adding to the learning with wiper maintenance mode, wipers have to be in the off position on the turn signal stalk before wiper maintenance mode will work.

Just an note it took 2:30 houses to upgrade the software in my car EU 5.6 -> 5.8
I had set it to upgrade at noon and forgot abut it, wend driving and parked the car at a rest stop 10 km from home
Came back after 10 min and the car was updating, waiting in the car for it to upgrade so you can drive home is annoying