Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where has the option to keep the car in the center of the map gone with 5.8?
As noted in the release notes (as pointed out by AnOutsider) but also echo'd in my post in I forget which thread (re: 5.6), the cross-hairs has been replaced by a new button that allows you to choose between centering on the car with heading up and centering on the car with north up.

@Discoducky--If I'm understanding you correctly, just hit the map mode toggle (always north vs. car-orientation) once and it will recenter you. No more dedicated button.

Thanks. I swear that it would not stay centered before I rebooted the 17". But it is working fine now. So far so good and I'm able to connect to Wi-Fi no problem.

I suspect the full scale rollout is a prelude to announcing the fee schedule and sign-up program for 3G service plans. TM has consistently said they will implement the charges after everyone has firmware with wifi and tethering. Well, now we have it and 4Q earnings are coming up. Look for a wireless fee line item in new guidance. Tesla is about to become a telecom company too!

Wow! Didn't look at TMC yesterday and nearly missed this thread. My S had the 5.8 upgrade waiting this morning! Had to wait until pm to upgrade. Went from 4.5 to 5.8.
gy8eny7a.jpg

Not at home yet so can't test home WiFi. Tried Google free WiFi but wouldn't connect within a few tries. Still hopefull...

I'm out of town until the end of the month, is there any way to remotely check whether or not the vehicle has received an update?

AmpedR, I've not finished reading this thread, but someone else may have already mentioned this.
You can "see" the firmware version "sort of", but using Visible Tesla. You look under Details. And it shows the last part, you have to guess which version you are on, but it shows the maintenance release. Like I am 5.6.145.45. VT shows the 145.45 part, so I know I am on 5.6. You should be able to download and run Visible Tesla away from home.

I can 100% confirm that low air suspension setting has been disabled at higher speeds. Specifically tried it manually on highway tonight after getting 5.8 today. My guess this is in response to the two fires. Of course Porsches lambos ferraris et al would have had similar if my worse results given the same situation.

AmpedR, I've not finished reading this thread, but someone else may have already mentioned this.
You can "see" the firmware version "sort of", but using Visible Tesla. You look under Details. And it shows the last part, you have to guess which version you are on, but it shows the maintenance release. Like I am 5.6.145.45. VT shows the 145.45 part, so I know I am on 5.6. You should be able to download and run Visible Tesla away from home.

Yes but that will only tell you what version is already installed. It will not tell you if an update has been downloaded and is awaiting your approval to install.

Does anyone know if you need to be at home to receive update, or can you be another place? Mine at 4.5 and i see no install waiting. Do i call Tesla, or what?

ok, sunday AM, it,s installing now... Thqnks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you need to be at home to receive update, or can you be another place? Mine at 4.5 and i see no install waiting. Do i call Tesla, or what?

You can be anywhere. Roll-out is still happening, you're not alone; but many of the service centers have been updating folks when they drop by.

- - - Updated - - -

New topic: does anyone know if the screen brightness defaults back to auto after the car is switch off or sleeps? (The dreaded ambient light buzz is still there.)

I called ownership services in attempt to fix the Bluetooth problem which appeared after the 5.6 update performed on my car last week at the SC (during the fog lights retrofit).

The ownership said that the Bluetooth mulfunction is a known 5.6 common problem which supposed to be fixed with 5.8. They also told me that 5.8 upgrade supposed to be pushed to all cars by the end of today.

What is the Bluetooth problem in 5.6, fixed in 5.8?

I'm about to bring my car into service on Monday to see if there's a fox for staticy Bluetooth sound coming from my end (eg people can't understand me). Plus I've found if I'm listening to music via Bluetooth on my iphone, and I end a call, the bluetooth disconnects, and I need to re-connect the phone.