Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been on Wifi for a bit now, only traffic is the car->Tesla HQ OpenVPN stuff plus some misc traffic for slacker when I open the door and such.... still no update :(

Interestingly enough poking through packet captures there seems to be some bug that causes the car to send out packets over Wifi that seem to be destined for a servers on the VPN with Tesla... mainly DNS queries looking for "mothership.vn.teslamotors.com" going to a 10.x.x.x IP.

Maybe I'll start another thread with this info for speculation :)

Interestingly enough poking through packet captures there seems to be some bug that causes the car to send out packets over Wifi that seem to be destined for a servers on the VPN with Tesla... mainly DNS queries looking for "mothership.vn.teslamotors.com" going to a 10.x.x.x IP.

Maybe I'll start another thread with this info for speculation :)

Please do, that's interesting.

I'm not as impressed with the hill assist feature as others seem to be so i'm wondering if i've done something wrong or if there is a problem with it. Initially I thought it might not be working as I was rolling back at hills but then I tried a steeper hill and it seemed to work. From this I assume that it is detecting the incline but that there may be some sort of threshold. I feel that if its steep enough to roll backwards, its steep enough to have Hill Assist applied. When the update was first applied I had creep turned on so I was wondering if the settings are initialized based on creep in some way. I think with creep on the shallower hills would probably be ok.
Anyone else seen issues on less steep hills?

Anyone else seen issues on less steep hills?

i was hoping that they would've implemented this feature similar to the way it's been done on previous hybrids I've owned...by holding the brake pedal all the way down hard for a second or two after coming to a complete stop. This way the driver gets to decide when to use the feature instead of the output from a magnetometer or whatever.

I don't think the wifi connections having priority for updates is implemented yet. My car sat parked at the airport for 4 days this week without wifi access and when I got back I had the message about the 5.9 update being ready to install, so it obviously got downloaded via 3G...

I had my P85 at the SC on Friday. Software version i was on was the 5.8.7. They agreed to push the 5.9 version. When i picked up the car in the pm, the service adviser mentioned that they car had multiple connections to the Tesla VPN server that were "stuck" and believed that it has to do with my ISP who could be blocking the vpn connection to work properly ( when on wifi). He suggested turning off the wifi, to download the software via 3G. The car still had 5.8.7 with the little clock to install the software. After I got it home, I installed it but a bit disappointing - it was version 5.8.10. Been two days with the wifi off but sill no 5.9 :(

Haha, very good Smartypnz! As someone who installs the center caps with the shark tooth tip of the T pointing at the valve caps, I can certainly appreciate this.

And I thought my wife had OCD :wink:. I usually share info from TMC with her...not this time or I will end up out in the garage prying the center caps off those wheels.

Just curious, do 0-60 times improve, even by .1 second, when starting from the low air suspension setting?

There is speculation that the opposite could occur, if you're getting wheel spin in the rear. By raising to maximum height the extra weight transfer to the back on acceleration would improve the grip at the back. That won't help, of course, if you're not getting wheel spin.

Hmmm, I think rather you need to park facing pointing directly towards Fremont, otherwise the 5.9 particles emanating from the Tesla factory don't line up correcty with the car whole traversing the luminiferous aether...

PS the way you can tell if your valve stems are aligned and you are pointed to Mecca: the red arrow indicating your car on the location tab of mobile app will turn gold and flash.

When i picked up the car in the pm, the service adviser mentioned that they car had multiple connections to the Tesla VPN server that were "stuck" and believed that it has to do with my ISP who could be blocking the vpn connection to work properly ( when on wifi). He suggested turning off the wifi, to download the software via 3G.
Is there anyway we can check for the "stuck" or blocked VPN connection ourselves?