Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still on 5.11. Any clue as to how the order of OTA updates get distributed? VIN number? Delivery date? Region of country?

There was a rumor that those on WiFi got them earlier but I've been on WiFi forever and no love.

It took about 3 months after release for me to get 5.11.

I'm still on 5.11. Any clue as to how the order of OTA updates get distributed? VIN number? Delivery date? Region of country?

There was a rumor that those on WiFi got them earlier but I've been on WiFi forever and no love.

It took about 3 months after release for me to get 5.11.

is the firmware rolling out in numerical order? I'm about 30,000 and I don't have it yet.

Random order, no noticed correlation to wifi or 3G, yet.

Actually the way it works is the mirror automatically folds in when car locks, and unfolds when you get back in. So it should be open when you are backing out of the garage. You would have to manually set it to fold before entering the garage.

I wasn't ready to pay for the upgrade, but it was paramount for my wife. That along with lighted mirrors for the sun visor and better positioned cup holders. So I got what was available :tongue:.

If you have to fold going in, I'm guessing you'd have to fold going out too. Be nice if they didn't unfold immediately or there was a way similar to the geofencing of the air suspension to have the mirrors fold and unfold.

This morning my wife went out to the S (which is on wifi at home) and found a window on the screen saying something like (major paraphrasing here): "Update failed to complete. Will retry later". She dismissed the window and drove the car. I hope tonight it tries again. So still on 5.12...

---- UPDATE Sep 18 0542 PST ----

No message in the car about the update, so still waiting...

Last edited:
Some random things I've noticed after moving from 5.11 to 6.0 (.11 then .13 today)...

* Cruise control is much smoother and takes a little longer to get to set speed
* Regen is smoother (setting has not changed, but the sudden braking effect when you lift your foot quickly is gone)
* Balloon noise at full throttle is now almost inaudible
* Typical Range is now very accurate instead of being just ... typical.
* Vampire loss overnight in max power saving (i.e. with 3G disabled) is 1-2 miles (typical) instead of ~4 miles
* Start-up from sleep is virtually instant
* Maybe subjective - the air con seems a bit more agressive on auto in Range Mode. Still maxes out at 3/4 but is definitely colder.
* The "X" close window buttons are bigger and have a much larger "hit" area.

* Bug: at night, in "P", switch the headlights from "auto" to "off". Wait for the car to go from "P" to "Car off". Headlights setting switches back to "AUTO" and the lights turn back on - and stay on until you press the brake. When you press the brake, the headlight setting stays on "AUTO", but the lights are now switched off!
* Bug: USB playback is slightly glitchy. Every so often a tune will skip and drop a beat. I have good hearing so this is quite noticable to me, YMMV.

6.0 (.13 version) delivered this AM — first OTA update and the process was smooth so I am impressed as a fairly new Tesla owner. Like others have said, the dash widget areas are certainly smoothed out with a more clean look and clean lines. Calendar integration has not yet worked for me (maybe because my events never have addresses in them?) so I'll keep looking at that. Overall no noticeable difference in door handles but smart air suspension is amazing

No known order ...

Im VIN 748 and on 5.12 still ...

This is going to sound very cynical, but IMO - earlier cars get a different "build" of the software, due to earlier/different hardware parts in the car. There's a finite number of these cars, so they form an ever-shrinking minority fraction of the entire fleet, and so they're de-prioritised. The newer cars currently in production, which form the modern platform on which the software is built, will always see their updates released first, since it can improve the experience of the maximum number of customers the quickest. This situation will never get better. Owners at the back of the line are the ones with the earlier components. Their builds will be released eventually once the software team is able to carry out the necessary unique work. Sucks to be the early adopter that supported the company through the difficult times, huh?

This is going to sound very cynical, but IMO - earlier cars get a different "build" of the software, due to earlier/different hardware parts in the car. There's a finite number of these cars, so they form an ever-shrinking minority fraction of the entire fleet, and so they're de-prioritised. The newer cars currently in production, which form the modern platform on which the software is built, will always see their updates released first, since it can improve the experience of the maximum number of customers the quickest. This situation will never get better. Owners at the back of the line are the ones with the earlier components. Their builds will be released eventually once the software team is able to carry out the necessary unique work. Sucks to be the early adopter that supported the company through the difficult times, huh?

i think this is far from the truth. I got my car about 2 months ago and still waiting on V6.0. I would give Tesla the benefit of the doubt that they built a OS framework that can handle different hardware versions and not create a unique version for cars with different types of hardware.

If that was the case then there would be a version number for each potential combination of features selected (navi, parking sensors, etc.)