Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: reports of faster throttle response, I decided to set my own baseline.

Using the advantage of a midnight commute and two repeatable highway locations with flat terrain, I made 2 runs from 0-60mph. With my phone as a stopwatch and timing myself best I can (please God, no deer... no deer... no deer...) Outside temperature was about 60 degrees and the car was relatively cold for first run, second run was after another 5 minutes of highway driving. Battery at half charge, freshly rotated Primacy tires with about 9/32 tread, bone dry road. I clocked in at 5.0 and at 5.2 seconds.

Now... will be interested to see what (if any) difference the update makes. No prompt yet...

While desperately waiting for the update I wrote an email to Tesla since I have the car in garage location w/o wifi or 3g, and I would have to leave the car outside not to miss the update when it's coming. As a reply the update process has been explained the following. Randomly the cars will be selected for the update, as soon your car has been selected the download of the software begins, over 3G or wifi, every time the car has any connection available it keeps downloading, but you are not informed about the download process itself. As soon the download has finished you will be informed that the update is ready for your car. Obviously when the wifi is on during downloading period it goes quicker ... but you never know when your car is selected since you get the information only when download has finished ... that now makes sense to me with all the observations described here ... it's a pity that they don't inform you when the download is ready to start, so you can make sure to have some good bandwidth available

While desperately waiting for the update I wrote an email to Tesla since I have the car in garage location w/o wifi or 3g, and I would have to leave the car outside not to miss the update when it's coming. As a reply the update process has been explained the following. Randomly the cars will be selected for the update, as soon your car has been selected the download of the software begins, over 3G or wifi, every time the car has any connection available it keeps downloading, but you are not informed about the download process itself. As soon the download has finished you will be informed that the update is ready for your car. Obviously when the wifi is on during downloading period it goes quicker ... but you never know when your car is selected since you get the information only when download has finished ... that now makes sense to me with all the observations described here ... it's a pity that they don't inform you when the download is ready to start, so you can make sure to have some good bandwidth available

Did they mention how long this rollout to Version 6 would take? I'm really getting anxious to start exploring it.

We are currently at the information age and anything data related can be obtained. Look at iCloud, Target, Home Depot, list goes on. Anything on a server or going over the internet can be stolen ie logging in via telsa app, visibletesla, teslamotors.com. Even Apple has learned its lesson and started two way authentication for iCloud.com. Worth it or not, hackers don't value the asset but just the fact that they can do it. I just like a piece of mind that two authentication gives me which is prevents the more unlikely of hacking my SMS and Tesla account for example. Now, if the mobile access is turned off, can Tesla still trace the car is another question...

Good points. I hadn't thought about a data breach at Tesla's servers. I had just assumed hacking the individual account itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough.

It reset to the default of 100+ mph across the upgrade. After the upgrade is complete, it properly retains my 55+ mph setting. In other words, you just have to set it back to your desired setting once (unlike traction control disable, for example).

I did not change anything between 5.12 and 6.0, yet my car lowered as expected on the freeway. I don't drive 100+ MPH. :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is going to sound very cynical, but IMO - earlier cars get a different "build" of the software, due to earlier/different hardware parts in the car. There's a finite number of these cars, so they form an ever-shrinking minority fraction of the entire fleet, and so they're de-prioritised. The newer cars currently in production, which form the modern platform on which the software is built, will always see their updates released first, since it can improve the experience of the maximum number of customers the quickest. This situation will never get better. Owners at the back of the line are the ones with the earlier components. Their builds will be released eventually once the software team is able to carry out the necessary unique work. Sucks to be the early adopter that supported the company through the difficult times, huh?

The same day I received my update to VIN 161XX another owner received an update to VIN 401XX. Observation does not support your hypothesis.

Your last line is quite insulting to early adopters who supported Tesla and made it possible for later customers to even have a product to purchase. There is quite a bit of rhetoric here. Aside from being completely wrong, it's also not very nice.

If we collected the data efficiently we could determine the trend (if a trend exists and its not a random algorithm).

Maybe a dropdown Poll with options would be better (if we could even do it):

Model
Vin Range
6.0 (Y/N)

Mine would be:

P85+
18000-19000
No

People have tried. There is no trend. It is random and it takes about a month to get to everyone.

PS I am not on high horse, have answered questions re rollout sequence and duration every few pages, I get frustrated when people don't read a few pages before asking. I know I shouldn't, sorry!

For some reason I remember actually seeing this, and my service center confirmed, The Tesla T (Logo) at the top goes blue when its downloading an update.

Can anyone confirm?

Sigh, it typically takes 30 days or so, meaning there are at least 23 more days of people who post but don't read asking same questions.

This is actually not true. With two exceptions (v5.8 suspension disable, and 5.12 service center install) every single update prior to that has been about a 2.5-to-3 month wait for me. Each time, the next major version has been seen already before I got the previous version.