Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’ve discovered a subtle 6.1 change that might go unnoticed by most. For months now, my car reduces the charge rate and gives the ‘bad wiring’ notification when charging at home on my HWPC. It drops from 79 amps to 59 and sticks there until the charging session is complete. The only way to get it back up to 79 was to stop, then restart the charging session. Since 6.1, the car still drops the charge but recovers periodically on its own. Watching on my phone app, I see it start at full charge, drop 25%, then return after several minutes to 79 amps.... only to drop again after a while. It is like they’ve added an auto-recover feature. If you don’t routinely have the charging problem you probably would never be aware of the change. BTW, I finally had our local hydro utility here today to test the lines while the car charged.... they've confirmed the need for a new transformer on the street to fix the voltage drop.

Also, Elon just tweeted that a future software update will improve P85D 0-60 time by ~0.1 secs and P85s will also receive a speed boost, but not as dramatic. I like that my nearly 2 year old car will be getting faster by a software update![/QUOTE]

That's freakin awesome!! Would love to know what it is... maybe optimized slip algorithms for the drive controllers.... Whether or not actually noticeable, my initial Tesla grin will come back when received!

Ha. Let's see Ford send over-the-air improved fuel injectors!

I think I’ve discovered a subtle 6.1 change that might go unnoticed by most. For months now, my car reduces the charge rate and gives the ‘bad wiring’ notification when charging at home on my HWPC. It drops from 79 amps to 59 and sticks there until the charging session is complete. The only way to get it back up to 79 was to stop, then restart the charging session. Since 6.1, the car still drops the charge but recovers periodically on its own. Watching on my phone app, I see it start at full charge, drop 25%, then return after several minutes to 79 amps.... only to drop again after a while. It is like they’ve added an auto-recover feature. If you don’t routinely have the charging problem you probably would never be aware of the change. BTW, I finally had our local hydro utility here today to test the lines while the car charged.... they've confirmed the need for a new transformer on the street to fix the voltage drop.

Do you run VisibleTesla? If so, can you try to capture a graph of this behavior?

Installed 115 today. Looks like just bug fixes, but under additional improvements it says steering feel was changed, mostly at high speeds. Was this note in the 113 release or did I miss it?

Are you referring to the in-car release notes or the one on your teslamotors.com dashboard? I looked online and don't see that mentioned in the notes. I have not yet updated to .115. I'll look at the in-car notes next time I'm in the car.

I received .115 yesterday less than two weeks after getting the first release of 6.1. I think the release notes are identical. An incremental release like .115 is unlikely to contain new features that we would notice. I do not know what .115 specifically addresses.

Same here. It seems many of these incremental firmware updates are minor bug fixes. But I do not know what the bug(s) were.

In the category of minor changes, is it possible the 12V receptacle in the car was always on before 6.1? I had to leave a door ajar or car in neutral when inflating tires with a 12V pump the other day, otherwise there was no power. I don't remember having to do that before.

My 12v has shut down with the car ever since I got it about 2 years ago. I really wish it wouldn't do that.

My cold weather performance appears dramatically better (at least what I see on my energy graph looks dramatically better).

I used to see regular spikes over 900 and my average use was in the 400 - 440 range.

Now for similar conditions the spikes never get over 600 and average use is around 340 - 380. (Temps in the 25-40F range).

I received the 115 and updated last night. No noticeable differences.

Although, I drove without voice commands on my commute this a.m. And slacker radio was no go.
The hints given where that you need strong 3G... well, I've always gone the same route and was showing at least 2 bars all the way today.
It's as if the car was having trouble getting a 3G link. I even tried a couple reboots of center console and instrument panel too.
(Always fun driving in the dark for a while isn't it!)

All the nav and geo-located air suspension was working fine. Just couldn't take a "drive to" instruction.

I don't normally need to use nav routes to get to work, but lately, I've been testing out how accurate the % charge at destination estimates are... every time, bang on.

I hope by the end of the day the car has figured out its 3G connection.

Do you run VisibleTesla? If so, can you try to capture a graph of this behavior?
Sorry, I'm not good at this.... but last night I tried to capture what I'm seeing with VT. Started charging at 7:05 PM (TOU low electricity rates) and the car went to nearly 80 amps, then dropped 25%. Soon after, it went back to 80 amps and dropped again. Stays at 60 amps most of the time but went back up to 80 briefly before dropping one last time and finishing the session at the lower rate. Up until 6.1, I had never noticed this auto-correction behavior. My pilot voltage always looks perfectly normal until a load is applied. I guess the software detects this and tries to go back to max charge on its own. This would get you the best charging outcome following a transient event I suppose.
charging Post.JPG