Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got notification on the center display when leaving from work earlier today. I didn't have 45 minutes, so I postponed installation. Does the car need to be connected to 3G or Wifi during installation, or the software is fully downloaded already? (I don't have cell / wifi access in the parking garage at home.)

What build number are people getting pushed to their car OTA lately? Or more specifically are early VIN "classic" owners still receiving .113 OTA?

The reason I am asking is because I had an issue (see this post) where they loaded an older build on my car (.105) at the service center after already having .113 pushed to me OTA two days before my visit. When I went in this morning to get my problems looked at, the manager at the SC told me that the problems were related to the firmware and the reason they loaded .105 on my car was because .113 was not supposed to be pushed out to early VINS as it was buggy.

I am still not clear on what he meant about the firmware causing my issues and didn't ask him to clarify whether it was .113 that caused my problems or the rollback to .105.

I took some photos to show the backup guideline alignment, or lack thereof.

IMG_1954_.jpg

IMG_1956_.jpg

IMG_1957_.jpg

IMG_1958_.jpg

IMG_1959_.jpg

IMG_1961_.jpg

IMG_1963_.jpg

Additional data point. Last Tuesday I got 6.1.2.2.113 over the air. The next day my S85 was in for its 24k service. I had a barely audible and intermittent clunk from the rear. SC replaced the drive unit. Firmware was updated by the service tech to .114 apparently to handle some kind of change in the drive unit.

How would the young'uns find it on amazon without knowing what to search for?
So who under 50 knows what this is:

View attachment 70007
Hint: you might use to improve your wh/mi equivalent if you were running rough and it wasn't from the curb feelers.

I have one of those that was for my 914 w/ dual webers.
it is a breathalyzer!

6.1 seems pretty sweet so far. best update yet, maybe. trip prediction is neat and very accurate locally.
mmm 1 week w/out my car and it is 'new' again

Updated to 6.1 Saturday. Very happy with new trip energy analysis software! Also, backup lines -- yes, I know from this thread that they could be tuned to the outside width of the car or at least wheels, but still very helpful as delivered in 6.1.

Thank you, Tesla!

Alan

P.S. And FINALLY the consumption graph defaults to average... I have a mental image of this task being bubble-sorted below the cut line on every project management review from 2012 - fall, 2014, and someone finally saying, "f*ck it! Put the goddamn intern on it and stop bothering me about it!" :)

For anyone concerned that the backup guidelines won't work on white snow, here's how they looked last night:

CmVeMGtl.jpg

The timing of receiving the update could not have been more perfect. Basically got the update icon 2 hours before embarking on an 18 hour road trip through snowy, rural Maine. The navigation charge suggestions were super helpful in helping us determine whether to top off in a city at a slow rate or just continue on the HPWC we were heading towards (luckily, we were able to do the latter). By adjusting our speed on the highway, I could easily see our buffer go from 4% left at destination to 10%.

Also, don't know how many ppl have done this but it's rather amusing to be IN the car while it's updating. All sorts of fun clicking sounds, steering wheel LEDs flashing on and off, the screen doing some weird stuff and even some bogus error messages. Basically, being inside of a meditating robot as it's gaining new skills :D

I got 6.1 yesterday for my old grey P85 vin 6883. I like the trip energy prediction. My parking lines seem to be more accurate than the pics posted -- I tested them as well, but didn't take pictures. I wonder if the cameras can be aligned differently. Parking lines turn black/grey when the display is in night mode. Tried backing out of the garage (car was in night display mode because garage was dark), and was nearly impossible to see the lines on the blacktop.

couldn't you just force your display into day mode?

I certainly could. I don't plan to, as I just leave it in auto and it works fine for all other purposes. I don't need the lines to get out of my garage. (Much more important to watch my mirrors as they have about 3 inches of clearance on each side) Just hadn't read reports of that behavior, so I thought I'd mention it.

EDIT:
The more I thought about this the less it made sense. Why would the lines be darker when the screen was in night mode? If the display is in night mode, it is most likely dark out, which would make darker colored lines hard to see. This couldn't be intended operation. Reproduced it just now. Rebooted. Now lines are a lighter color, regardless of day or night mode. Odd bug.

Last edited:
Trip Prediction

So I finally got 6.1 yesterday afternoon and thought I would try the trip prediction feature of the energy display. Curious to know what is taken into account here, as I ended up doing "worse" than what was predicted. I started out with a fully pre-heated car and drove "gingerly" at or below the speed limit the whole way. The temperature was 10 F with no wind and the roads were clear and dry. I'm wondering if it's just an extrapolation of the normal "Rated" range estimate?

On an unrelated note, you will see that I start out with about 87% capacity. My car charged to 90% at 4:51 AM and I left at 7:30 AM. That's typical of my range loss while the car sits.

IMG_0161.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the clunks sound different? From different places? I don't have any clunks, so I guess mine is not normal.

Mine feels like a loose U-joint. In stop and start traffic I can feel and subtly hear a small clunk as that car transitions from power to re-gen braking and back. In an underground parking lot with the windows rolled down, you can hear the clunk sound quite plainly as it echoes off of the concrete walls.

Climate settings also could be largest cause of under achieving trip projection.

That was my guess too, so I'm assuming the prediction does not account for temperature. This is just my Day 1 observation, so I'll need to play around a bit more with it. I'll bet in summer I will actually do better than the projection, because on many days I will get better than Rated consumption on my commute (i.e. sub-300 Wh/mi).