Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps this is a naive question, but assuming there has been an increase in the ramp-up of regenerative braking, wouldn't that slightly improve efficiency, particularly in city driving (and, of course, very little, if any, in highway driving?)

Perhaps this is a naive question, but assuming there has been an increase in the ramp-up of regenerative braking, wouldn't that slightly improve efficiency, particularly in city driving (and, of course, very little, if any, in highway driving?)

I would think this would just help with driving style and result in less use of the friction brakes in normal driving, not so much an actual direct improvement in efficiency.

I've always had an intermittent bug with the audio control. Interestingly for some reason it's no longer intermittent in 6.1 - it happens every time.

I'm playing the Slacker radio. I stop the car, press the left-hand roller button on the steering wheel to turn off the sound, and leave the car. When I come back to the car some time later, as soon as I get in the radio starts blaring.

If, instead, I bring up the Audio App and push the STOP button on the touchscreen, this does not happen. The car remembers that the audio is stopped.

I've always had an intermittent bug with the audio control. Interestingly for some reason it's no longer intermittent in 6.1 - it happens every time.

I'm playing the Slacker radio. I stop the car, press the left-hand roller button on the steering wheel to turn off the sound, and leave the car. When I come back to the car some time later, as soon as I get in the radio starts blaring.

If, instead, I bring up the Audio App and push the STOP button on the touchscreen, this does not happen. The car remembers that the audio is stopped.

Funny you should say that... I don't recall it happening before, but that did happen repeatedly to me since 6.1 install. Now that you mention, I recall thinking "WT#, why does this thing not stay off!".

Yeah, that's a pretty sad situation. Even if they can't load it from the service center, you'd think they could just hold onto the car and request engineering to specifically target your car for download (I know they can to that). Then they could proceed with the debug work.
You'd think. And, clearly, this is what they thought as well. While it sucked, I don't blame the SC. They thought they could do it. This is one of those stupid corporate things that makes no sense until you hear why it's being done that way, and it's pretty clear they're not communicating that.

In the scheme of things it's not a big deal: my sensors haven't really fully worked for the last 14 months, what's another one. It's just frustrating we both wasted time on the car when they couldn't do anything, though.

I really wish Tesla could figure out their communications issues.

I went out again today, driving first the Sig S and then the P85D over the same route, to try and characterize the regen onset behavior under 6.1 firmware. It's not quite apples-to-apples because the Sig is still running .92 and the D is running .113, but it was interesting, nonetheless. I confirmed that the D employs two different onset ramps, a gentler one when disabling TACC and a more aggressive one when simply lifting your foot from the go pedal when driving manually. Both profiles arrive at the same amount of regen, but the former takes roughly twice as long to get there.

There is no such difference between the two cases in the Sig: it seems to use the same, aggressive ramp in either case. This could be a difference between the Sig and the D, or it could be a difference between 6.1(2.2.92) and 6.2(2.2.113); if someone with an S85 gets .113 before I do, you'll have to let us know. I have video to back up my observations; I'll upload it later when I get back to my desktop.

I went out again today, driving first the Sig S and then the P85D over the same route, to try and characterize the regen onset behavior under 6.1 firmware. It's not quite apples-to-apples because the Sig is still running .92 and the D is running .113, but it was interesting, nonetheless. I confirmed that the D employs two different onset ramps, a gentler one when disabling TACC and a more aggressive one when simply lifting your foot from the go pedal when driving manually. Both profiles arrive at the same amount of regen, but the former takes roughly twice as long to get there.

There is no such difference between the two cases in the Sig: it seems to use the same, aggressive ramp in either case. This could be a difference between the Sig and the D, or it could be a difference between 6.1(2.2.92) and 6.2(2.2.113); if someone with an S85 gets .113 before I do, you'll have to let us know. I have video to back up my observations; I'll upload it later when I get back to my desktop.

I suspect they've made an effort to reduce the "gain" for the purposes of the active cruise. On my first tests of the TACC (old 6.1) it seemed to respond very quickly to the traffic in front - both accelerating and decelerating. It almost seemed to overshoot - slowing more than required, and then having to pick back up. It seems a lot gentler now. Of course that's all perception and memory, so it's worth exactly nothing.

I suspect they've made an effort to reduce the "gain" for the purposes of the active cruise. On my first tests of the TACC (old 6.1) it seemed to respond very quickly to the traffic in front - both accelerating and decelerating. It almost seemed to overshoot - slowing more than required, and then having to pick back up. It seems a lot gentler now. Of course that's all perception and memory, so it's worth exactly nothing.

Funny you should say that, because my impression was that the .92 version used the gentler regen onset ramp for both TACC and manual driving; it was a PITA, because my reflexes and timing had been long trained by the more aggressive ramp on the Sig 85. Now it feels like the good old days, when not using TACC. Or even better, because there's more regen braking available overall with the Dual motor setup.

Pushing Right Scroll Wheel Will Set/Unset Favorites - Will DELETE Internet Favorites

With V6.1 (2.2.92) when you have your right scroll wheel set to select media sources and you press the right scroll wheel while listening to media, the current station is added/removed from your favorites. Unfortunately, when listening to internet favorites (like Slacker or TuneIn), if the current station is already a favorite, it is removed from favorites and immediately disappears from the the screen and the favorites list. In it's place is the next favorite station. At first I thought this was a feature to skip to the next favorite station. After pressing the right scroll wheel several times, I realized I had deleted all of my favorites.

Hopefully, the next update will address this. Ideally, for me, the favorites selection should either not remove the currently playing station from the screen or should favorite/unfavorite the currently playing song.

Here's a link to the video I promised you:

Regen Onset Profile Test - Tesla Model S - YouTube

Last edited:
Few additional, hardly scientific, observations post update to 2.2.13 on p85d, beyond already listed (steering wheel and continuous, 2-3 second long single vibration for lane departure):
1) regen "feels" more aggressive. My rolling / coasting accelerator pedal position are different as it appears to be a steeper regen ramp
2) on short (5 mile) test circuit I use I heathily beat the predicted energy use from nav /trip energy graph (pictures to prove it). Most of time was again using tacc. I had real difficulty beating this previously. Note, this is reasonably same conditions (dark, damp roads, temp) as post 6.1 update test drive on exactly same trip (posted early on this thread)

to location
View attachment 69754

Return from location:
View attachment 69756

Only anomoly was the start of return trip. I suspect this was because I was waiting at lights for full cycle. Previously it was 3am and less traffic.

Hope this help, Mike

I have experienced the same thing. Before .113, I found that the trip forecast was way optimistic and I NEVER came in ahead, no matter how conservative I drove. Now it seems to be much closer and if I drive conservatively, I can definitely beat it's forecast.

A software update has appeared for my P85 with autopilot (delivered near the end of September, so it's one of the first); it's installing now. I paid for fog lamps and parking sensors, so we shall see if that means I get TACC with the update. Well, we'll see if it is 6.1. I didn't notice that it said anywhere.

So I wonder which it is. Did they make the estimate worse or did they improve performance somehow?

I have before .113 from original posting
image.jpg

With .113
image.jpg

Both show same prediction of 3% energy use. Actuals vary. Of course, caveat emptor: short run, etc

A software update has appeared for my P85 with autopilot (delivered near the end of September, so it's one of the first); it's installing now. I paid for fog lamps and parking sensors, so we shall see if that means I get TACC with the update. Well, we'll see if it is 6.1. I didn't notice that it said anywhere.

It's 6.1 (2.2.113) with TACC (at least according to the release notes)! Can't wait to give it a try in the morning.