Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have the update. Everything is awesome!

Really cool how traffic aware cruise control even works in stop and go traffic. Once you stop at a light just need to tap the pedal to get it following the car again when the light goes green. The battery % for trips sure will help with long distance, especially for S60 drivers. I'm sure it updates constantly as you are driving, so you can speed up/slow down to make sure you reach your destination with whatever % left on the battery you want while still getting the best time/speed.

Back-up lines are great!

I'm interested to see how far away the auto high beam can recognize cars in front of you and coming the other way.

As for Valet mode: that is very simple to solve: You tell the valet-driver this "listen buddy, if you joyride or mess up my car in any way, i will tear your head off, giftwrap it and send it to your motha and ***** down your spine" with a Dirty Harry style voice :)

Put the fear of Gott into them. Works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you also pull the cruise control stalk (resume)? My s550 used to allow this

Yes you can. Used it this morning on my drive into work. I like how the TACC will completely stop you, and can fairly aggressively apply the brakes if needed. I also really liked the 360 degree FOV on the new parking sensor display when backing up, and the Automatic High Beams. I've also switched to the battery % indicator so I'll see how that feels for a while. Overall, very impressive .X update.

This is a prophylactic post...

For those new to the FW release process (and there are more of those with every release), please note:
1) Releases are pushed to cars by Tesla according to their algorithm(s). These are more or less random... but I have some new info below
2) The only known way to accelerate your update is by asking Service Center to load it... which they USED to be able to do easily, but now it is often not possible (see new info below)
3) Most releases are pushed out slowly... over a couple of months. So, no reason to panic if you don't get it for weeks.
4) It is not unusual for Firmware pushes to be stopped and started... or in some cases superseded before they are completely distributed.

REPEATED "DIDN'T GET IT YET" OR "REALLY WANT IT" POSTS TO THIS THREAD DO NOT ACCELERATE ANYTHING... THOSE POSTS MAY HELP YOU VENT, BUT TOO MANY MAKE THIS THREAD UNBEARABLE AND OBSTRUCT REAL INFORMATION!

NEW INFO from Service Center today (since my car is in for annual service today, thought I'd request 6.1)... was told cars are grouped somehow by config, and certain configs are cleared for release before others. Service center can only update your car if it is one of the groups that is cleared. This indicates that the algorithm is not random, and takes into account some elements of configuration... what I do not know and wouldn't hazard a guess. As with most info, you can decide if you believe this. Given the variety of owners posting receipt in this thread, I'm still inclined to believe it is more random than organized... though not surprised if groups are authorized in sequence to avoid mad dash to service centers.

I love a lot of things about my Tesla, but I think the software updates (not just these ones specifically, but all software updates) are going to end up being my favorite feature.

A couple times a year its like Christmas, pouring over patch notes and finding out what new things my car will be able to do. Seriously, how freakin' sweet is that? Who else has a car that introduces new functionality over time? It's awesome!

This is a prophylactic post...

For those new to the FW release process (and there are more of those with every release), please note:
1) Releases are pushed to cars by Tesla according to their algorithm(s). These are more or less random... but I have some new info below
2) The only known way to accelerate your update is by asking Service Center to load it... which they USED to be able to do easily, but now it is often not possible (see new info below)
3) Most releases are pushed out slowly... over a couple of months. So, no reason to panic if you don't get it for weeks.
4) It is not unusual for Firmware pushes to be stopped and started... or in some cases superseded before they are completely distributed.

REPEATED "DIDN'T GET IT YET" OR "REALLY WANT IT" POSTS TO THIS THREAD DO NOT ACCELERATE ANYTHING... THOSE POSTS MAY HELP YOU VENT, BUT TOO MANY MAKE THIS THREAD UNBEARABLE AND OBSTRUCT REAL INFORMATION!

NEW INFO from Service Center today (since my car is in for annual service today, thought I'd request 6.1)... was told cars are grouped somehow by config, and certain configs are cleared for release before others. Service center can only update your car if it is one of the groups that is cleared. This indicates that the algorithm is not random, and takes into account some elements of configuration... what I do not know and wouldn't hazard a guess. As with most info, you can decide if you believe this. Given the variety of owners posting receipt in this thread, I'm still inclined to believe it is more random than organized... though not surprised if groups are authorized in sequence to avoid mad dash to service centers.

I would add that trying to jump the queue by asking the service center to do it (unless you're there for a legitimate unrelated reason) really isn't fair to those owners who need the service center for actual service.

This could be in my head, but it feels like when cruise is disengaged with the break it does not immediately slow down like it did before. The TACC is awesome.

This would make sense. A problem with "dumb" ACC is that if it reacts quickly, the meatsack tailgating you can't react in time and slams into you. Delaying braking to allow for human reaction behind you is a good thing.

View attachment 68568

But seriously, this is an pretty comprehensive update.

For the car preparation feature, it'd be useful to have something to indicate how close it thinks it is to understanding the driver's schedule.

Memory settings for the passenger seat would also be nice.

Could not agree more ... while I appreciate every update, some go backwards in terms of their stability, and we've been asking for a PIN to prevent disabling remote access for 2 YEARS.
Presumably part of valet mode ... the patience has worn VERY thin.

Exemplary posting, mgboyes, and it's nice to see the Brits getting an update before anyone else! :) Breaks the notion that USA cars or even Californian cars get them first.

This looks like an amazing set of updates. I've suffered from the lack of quite a few of these improvements... no backup lines, tunein podcast transport controls, shuffle mode. Nice!

Next on the navigation improvements hopefully will be taking altitude into account. Journeys between two towns that are at different altitudes take different amounts of energy depending on which direction you go.

Then - allow for supercharging along the route and suggest charging at them!

Regarding suggest to charge. I would really like it also to suggest the most efficient charging pattern along a route - and if charging is needed to get from A to B it should give an option to route via a charger - or to let the user enter another destination where some other unlisted charger could be found. Too many drivers prefer to top it up to 100% which take unnecessary time instead of maybe charge for 10-15 minutes and arrive at the next with 25% left instead of arriving with 55%.

And - the most important change! To allow us - on the settings of the navigation app - to enter a set of URLs pointing to KML files (read about KML files on Google Maps and Google Earth) - then we would shortly have many KML files published with various charging networks, tourist type info, speed traps, etc.. etc..

Could not agree more ... while I appreciate every update, some go backwards in terms of their stability, and we've been asking for a PIN to prevent disabling remote access for 2 YEARS.
Presumably part of valet mode ... the patience has worn VERY thin.

I get you think that this feature is important, but seriously, this is something that no other car I know of has (a PIN to disable the free, built-in remote access service) mostly because no other car even has a free built-in remote access service! If you don't want a random untrusted person to disable remote access while driving your car then don't give them the keys in the first place!