Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. Regen was limited at 84% and it's only 44 F? Seems odd. Thought it had to be much colder out for that to happen at that SOC.

I'm still on 6.0 and was getting the regen limitation quite frequently last week at temps in the 40s (we warmed back up this week, so haven't seen it). I occasionally got that last winter on 5.x variants, but only after the car sat in the parking garage all day at work.

This may be crazy, but I’m wondering if I may be seeing some range improvement with 6.1. I’m attaching a screenshot of my most recent trip. I used 77 range miles to go 61.7 miles. The trip included a couple of short stops, about 30 miles of highway driving at 60-72 MPH, a fair amount of rural country roads at 40-55 MPH, and a little stop and go, traffic-light stuff, etc. The temperature was between 17 and 20 degrees the entire time, so that’s pretty darn cold. I did pre-heat the cabin a bit, and then did keep the car pretty cool, at 66 to 68 (I like it cool.) I had to use the rear defroster quite a bit, as my yellow lab was in a crate in the hatch area. I charged for about 15 minutes before setting out, so the battery was not completely cold when I left. Even so, my regen was limited for about the first half of the trip. Also, I used the TACC for probably about 70% of the trip, and as I posted a few messages upthread, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have been driving more efficiently without the TACC. What I’m saying is that I think I might have been awfully darn close to actual mile for range mile if the weather had been warmer and I had not been using the TACC. That has not been the case before. Not even close.

Am I imagining all this or has anyone else with a P85D seen any possible improvement in range since the 6.1 update?

Trip to Syracuse.jpg

My pre-AP P85 is not updated yet either, although has been on Wi-Fi most of the day. Hopefully soon. Anyway, I look forward to especially the parking improvements - although they are stuff Tesla is playing catch-up on, I will appreciate the possibility to get this stuff after the fact. Both the camera guides and full-car sensor graphics are very welcome. I've owned many cars with fairly sophisticated graphical interfaces, but already the P85 has received more updates - and more substantial feature updates - than all of them combined. Also, I look forward to any and all improvements to the still a bit lackluster navigation.

For adaptive cruise, I will have to wait for the Model X, but having driven many cars with adaptive cruise I do think it is a great feature. For you experiencing it for the first time, enjoy. :) It is a big less magical ten years later (still have one ICE with it), but still, a great feature I look forward to in the Tesla as well. So, savor the first times you use it, if it is your first adaptive cruise. I look forward to Tesla turning the adaptive experience into that full-blown AutoPilot and really wowing...

This may be crazy, but I’m wondering if I may be seeing some range improvement with 6.1. I’m attaching a screenshot of my most recent trip.

I was thinking the same thing. I did 130 miles today, maybe half at 70mph, the rest in road works or local traffic at 40mph or below. Got home with 75 miles "Typical" remaining. Bear in mind this is on a 60kWh, none of your lovely P85D-ness, so a solid 200 miles I'm happy. :D

This is the last bit of the journey, I forgot to reset the trip :redface:

Energy graph 3.jpg
Energy graph 4.jpg

The spike is where I stopped to test the 3 phase charging problem I'm having. It added 7 miles, but lost 3 of them as soon as I got back on the main road :confused:

BTW Before anyone accuses me of hypermiling, I was driving normally and keeping up with traffic, which was very light. :D

Last edited:
I updated to 6.1, but the rear camera backup lines aren't appearing. When I go into reverse I see a black screen WITH the lines for a mili-second, then see the normal camera view but the lines disappear. I tried resetting the screen several times, didn't seem to work. Anyone else have this problem (and find a solution?)

I see in some screen shots there seems to be a traffic cone button on the camera screen - that doesn't appear for me either.

TACC and all the other new features seem to work fine.

I updated to 6.1, but the rear camera backup lines aren't appearing. When I go into reverse I see a black screen WITH the lines for a mili-second, then see the normal camera view but the lines disappear. I tried resetting the screen several times, didn't seem to work. Anyone else have this problem (and find a solution?)

I see in some screen shots there seems to be a traffic cone button on the camera screen - that doesn't appear for me either.

TACC and all the other new features seem to work fine.

Did you try turning it off and on again? (Soft reboot)

You mean just turning the car itself off? Yeah I've been in and out of it all day and at no time have the lines worked...

Reboot the center screen is what I believe he means. Hold down both buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously for about 15 seconds and the screen goes blank (don't panic). The system will reboot. This fixes most glitches. I suggest it after every firmware update.
Hard reboot: Hold both buttons down for 60 seconds. resets everything.

Reboot the center screen is what I believe he means. Hold down both buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously for about 15 seconds and the screen goes blank (don't panic). The system will reboot. This fixes most glitches. I suggest it after every firmware update.
Hard reboot: Hold both buttons down for 60 seconds. resets everything.

Yes i tried this as well with no luck.