Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm privy to another major consumer product deal that comes bundled with AT&T wireless service and it absolutely includes a bandwidth tax. Its impossible to know how the Tesla deal is structured, but there is no way that AT&T gave them unlimited bandwidth without charging an absurd rate.

I suspect that this is why we're not seeing an LTE upgrade coming available. It would absolutely lead to more data consumption.

Would it? I can still only listen to one song at a time and even if the maps load faster, it wouldn't be any more data. Am I missing something?
I agree - the only thing you might do is more web browsing but that is more limited to the crappy/slow browser rather than 3G. I occasionally use a LTE hotspot in my car and web pages are only slightly better with that. Same thing when browsing at home when connected to my LAN via wifi.

But I agree that it is unlikely that they have unlimited bandwidth - that just promotes overconsumption on the part of Tesla which is bad for AT&T's network.

LTE would increase bandwidth consumption because customers would be more likely to use high-bandwidth services (eg: satellite images in maps instead of vector graphics), and less likely to have the car connect to a LTE hotspot.

Personally, I have my iPhone programmed to turn on the Personal Hotspot every time the car's bluetooth connects to the phone, and have the car switch over to that hotspot as I drive. T-Mobile LTE is much much faster in my area than AT&T, and with my T-Mo unlimited data package, I figure I can save Tesla a few bucks while improving my service.

If it had LTE, I would probably have less of an incentive to tether. I'm sure there are other people who tether for similar reasons.

No. I recall several owners holding back on 5.6 for a few months while they waited out 5.8.

I recall at least one FW version that either auto-installed, or limited how long it could be delayed for.

In either case, clearly Tesla controls the car configuration. If they want to force an auto-update they undoubtedly can do it. It's trivial to do with our systems management system here where I work...

Would it? I can still only listen to one song at a time and even if the maps load faster, it wouldn't be any more data. Am I missing something?

I think so. I find the slow connection limiting in a few ways that discourage me from using it. Zoom, panning, stretching the map is a PITA right now because of the slow update. And maybe my experiences is atypical, but I find that I don't use slacker/tunein much because the quality isn't great. I assume that an LTE connection would rectify that.

Plus, a better connection would make web-apps more usable - so increased usage.

How much difference it would make... anybody's guess!

I think so. I find the slow connection limiting in a few ways that discourage me from using it. Zoom, panning, stretching the map is a PITA right now because of the slow update. And maybe my experiences is atypical, but I find that I don't use slacker/tunein much because the quality isn't great. I assume that an LTE connection would rectify that.

Plus, a better connection would make web-apps more usable - so increased usage.

How much difference it would make... anybody's guess!

Make sure you go into the music app settings and then under the slacker settings and hit the option for higher quality on slacker. It does make a decent difference in the quality. It won't be as good as what you could get from a high-bitrate file on a thumb drive... but unless you are an audiophile it should be good enough.

Even going to LTE, I think Slacker is capped at 128 bit rate... so I wouldn't expect you to get anything better than what we are already getting.

Personally, I have my iPhone programmed to turn on the Personal Hotspot every time the car's bluetooth connects to the phone, and have the car switch over to that hotspot as I drive. T-Mobile LTE is much much faster in my area than AT&T, and with my T-Mo unlimited data package, I figure I can save Tesla a few bucks while improving my service.

How is this set up? If I leave Personal Hotspot on all the time to make it convenient to connect the car it kicks me off my WiFi network inside the house.

torque sleep 1 day late???

He said he already had version .115. Almost no P85Ds, if any, have .115, so he probably isn't driving a P85D. (There was a report of just one P85D receiving .115, and it wasn't from richrootes.) Also his sig says he's driving a 60.

Edit:

This is the only post I've seen anywhere on the forum that talks about having .115 on a P85D:

Just got the notification for my P85D as well.

Slightly off topic-- I wonder why there isn't a way to begin the update directly from the mobile app itself?

Last edited:
Yep - I have a 60, Andy

Might be a fix for the dodgy footbrake a few of us have reported....?

We'll see I guess

He said he already had version .115. Almost no P85Ds, if any, have .115, so he probably isn't driving a P85D. (There was a report of just one P85D receiving .115, and it wasn't from richrootes.)

Edit:

This is the only post I've seen anywhere on the forum that talks about having .115 on a P85D:

- - - Updated - - -

OK - Visible Tesla is telling me that the new version is:

Firmware Version: 2.2.139

I'll have a look over it when I get the chance.......

yes, the new version is .139
Service Center is installing it on mine right now - as part of the brake issue service call - though I have no idea what are all in the new version. Will know when I get the P85D back later today.

I have a ranger out here now taking care of nick I had in my wheel after delivery. Great guy, super professional! Anyway we went out to lunch and talked all things tesla. I mentioned how excited I was for the new torque sleep software. He told me I that he is going to push the new .139 software to my car when he is all finished. He indicated that it might have torque sleep as the version number jumped higher then just one number (.113 .114 .115 etc) and that usually indicates alot of coding changes.

Anyway we shall see!