Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible dialog from Sunday's meeting at Tesla to discuss releasing the torque sleep firmware:
JB: So where do we stand with torque sleep? Is it ready to go?
Engineering Manager (EngMgr): No. Unfortunately we still have a few issues with efficiency and NVH.
JB: That is not what I wanted to hear. I promised the owners we would deliver this by the end of January, and it is already February 1st.
EngMgr: I'm sorry, my guys are working as hard as they can but we ran into these issues.
JB: We have to do something. The owners on the TMC forum are already up in arms about this and it is only one day late! Isn't there anything we can do?
EngMgr: I'm just not comfortable releasing this firmware as Normal Mode, because these issues will become obvious to everyone with a P85D. But we could make it part of Range Mode temporarily while we work on the final refinements.
JB: It's a kludge, but if that's all we've got, let's go with it. It should buy us a couple of weeks to fix the remaining issues. And tell your team that no one leaves the building until Normal Mode is nailed!
Could be pretty close to reality. Range-mode-only is a weird requirement otherwise. On the plus side, Tesla (almost) hit a date they promised. It's a Groundhog Day miracle! :wink:

It will be interesting to see more owner data points, and also some eventual disclosure from Tesla as to whether this release is a) part of promised torque sleep, b) all of promised torque sleep, or c) actually isn't torque sleep yet.

Intuitively, I feel as if many of the D owners are expecting much broader range benefits than they will actually get. Tesla has been pretty clear that improved range is for highway miles... where there is sustained, steady-speed driving that can benefit from the gear ratio of the front drive. The reason that can translate into higher EPA rated (theoretically) is because the EPA combined loop is biased towards highway (at least for me, a city-dweller!). So, if you are doing much city driving, suburban driving, any accelerator mashing, any sustained over-the-limit driving, significant hills... I suspect achieving rated range will be even more remote than it was P85 in same circumstances. And, I know if I got a P85D, I would be doing all of those things!

Once Cottonwood and I both have .139 we'll be in a position to do side-by-side testing of any potential Range mode benefits using our identical P85Ds, both running on 19" Hakka R2 snow tires. Well, his is a different color... :biggrin:

Obviously the red one goes faster and is less efficient.

Good theory. However, are EPA ratings with Range mode on? If so, then I think Tesla may have delivered what it promised (pending confirmation by owners)

I don't buy that Tesla did EPA ratings with range mode. Range mode is sticky so the best they could manage would be an average between range mode and no range mode (based on how the EPA traditionally deals with driving modes). But I can't imagine why Tesla would have the car show EPA rated range without range mode and more range with it if the tests were conducted with it.

Once again Tesla communication on this is terrible. There shouldn't be a debate about if they've delivered torque sleep or not. Ideally the release notes would update for every patch version (so we know what changed). But without this on an issue like this Tesla should tweet or something.

I'd really love to be able to reconcile what people are currently experiencing, plus any hypothetical gains from torque sleep, with the range calculator on the Tesla site. For example, for the P85D, in the city, at 0 degrees, and heat on, it shows a range of 213 miles (vs 209 for a regular 85).

Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 1.30.24 PM.png

I'd really love to be able to reconcile what people are currently experiencing, plus any hypothetical gains from torque sleep, with the range calculator on the Tesla site. For example, for the P85D, in the city, at 0 degrees, and heat on, it shows a range of 213 miles (vs 209 for a regular 85).

View attachment 71201

I literally lol'd when I saw the new range estimator for the P85D when it came out. Imaginary range numbers.

Intuitively, I feel as if many of the D owners are expecting much broader range benefits than they will actually get. Tesla has been pretty clear that improved range is for highway miles... where there is sustained, steady-speed driving that can benefit from the gear ratio of the front drive. The reason that can translate into higher EPA rated (theoretically) is because the EPA combined loop is biased towards highway (at least for me, a city-dweller!). So, if you are doing much city driving, suburban driving, any accelerator mashing, any sustained over-the-limit driving, significant hills... I suspect achieving rated range will be even more remote than it was P85 in same circumstances. And, I know if I got a P85D, I would be doing all of those things!
I keep hearing that the front drive unit has a taller gear than the rear... can someone say where that came from and what the exact value is?

I remember back a little where people were complaining about Tesla not doing such and such to allow someone inside to make the handles present to someone walking up. Like when someone at the airport is walking up, or the wife is coming out and walking up without her key. Seems the only way people used to do it was to go to controls, and unlock the car. Or you'd have to put the car in Drive, and then back into Park. "I wish Tesla would fix this"!

I wand to report that they did. All it takes now is to push Park, even if it's already in Park, and the door handles present. I hope the people who needed this have noticed it was done.

Tesla heard us. And they fixed it. Thanks, Tesla!

I've posted some efficiency data under .139 in a different thread. My verdict concerning the existence of torque sleep improvements to P85D efficiency and range is: 'Probable': I managed 307 Wh/mi over a 90 mile loop, mostly at highway speeds up to 75+ mph. Temps today are moderate (mid-to-high fifties), but the wind is blowing.

P85D range and highway battery performance - Page 15

Agreed. There are several instances where range mode is actually detrimental. For instance, while SpC range mode should be off so as not to limiting pack conditioning. FWIW, I've never seen any utility in using range mode. If you need the extra range simply turn off AC and modulate your speed.
Fairly new to Tesla here, and I need some help here to understand this better. I recently asked the same question of a Tesla Ranger who explained to me that the battery heater is a closed loop fluid system heated by an "electric heat circuit" that runs parallel to it. He said that this is not affected by "Range" mode. When I asked if preheating the cabin helps to warm up the battery, he said it really doesn't help much because the cabin heat is basically a "toaster oven" heater that is completely separate from the battery warming circuit.

Now I know I have read very much the opposite on these forums, so now I am a bit confused?

Fairly new to Tesla here, and I need some help here to understand this better. I recently asked the same question of a Tesla Ranger who explained to me that the battery heater is a closed loop fluid system heated by an "electric heat circuit" that runs parallel to it. He said that this is not affected by "Range" mode. When I asked if preheating the cabin helps to warm up the battery, he said it really doesn't help much because the cabin heat is basically a "toaster oven" heater that is completely separate from the battery warming circuit.

The only problem is that it doesn't match with my experience, nor does it match Tesla's documentation where they show the motor heating the battery. (There is also an electric heat circuit).

Where range mode helps the most is when the battery isn't preheated fully (typically because you forgot to turn range mode off when you parked). Range mode reduces the amount of power used to bring the battery up to temperature (unless the battery is below a certain threshold). This increases the amount of driving time it takes for the battery to become fully heated but doesn't use any significant amount of extra energy.

Hmm... No I'm pretty sure cabin AC and pack conditioning are controlled by the same backbone. Never heard of two independent systems. I've always heard that it's best to turn AC off while SpC especially during hot weather, otherwise it will drain resources from the pack.

Totally non-scientific, and certainly not enough data to make any real judgment, but here are my last two drives to work in the morning. The red line is yesterday's commute into work (which I accidentally drew too far, in that it includes some of my drive home yesterday as well), and the green line is this morning's commute into work, after the .139 update. The drives were pretty much identical weather and traffic conditions.

IMG_0067.JPG

OK! So inspired by this great conversation and detective work, I just took my wife's P85D out for a little experiment, post- 2.2.139.

I did two laps of the same route on our island, the first with the "new" Range Mode OFF, the second with Range Mode ON. I kept the climate control completely OFF the whole time, hoping to show that any difference in the new Range Mode was in the power train and not in climate control power management.

The route is 19.5 km roundtrip, two-lane, curvy and with significant elevation changes (about sea level to about 200 m). Since speeds are low, I would expect this to be a sensitive test of power train efficiency. Aero drag will not dominate. There are significant climbs, and significant regen descents. The temperature was about 8ºC, it was calm, and the road was damp.
Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 4.35.06 PM.png

On each loop from Ganges to the turnaround point and back, I travelled the speed limit when possible, which is 80 km/h on most of the route, but drops to 50 km/h ~1.5 km outside Ganges. On the outbound legs, I used ACC to follow the traffic consistently, which was 60-75 km/h; on the return legs, both times, I travelled the 80 km/h speed limit on normal cruise control most of the way.

And the envelope, please:

First lap, Range Mode OFF = 205 Wh/km (330 Wh/mi)
Second lap, Range Mode ON = 188 Wh/km (303 Wh/mi)

That is just shy of the 10% increase in efficiency JB promised. Maybe we are getting somewhere!!