Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be great if you could perhaps post your VIN, so they'd know exactly who to thank in the next release. :)

Seriously, these guys are working around the clock to add new features, crazy hours, aggressive deadlines, etc. And you want to insult them. There was no need. Perhaps if there were NO software updates and you ran into them at the local bar midday, laughing about getting paid for doing nothing, then insulting them would be in order.

But do you REALLY believe they want to do anything but get good solid code out the door for Tesla customers? If your answer is 'no', perhaps you need to rethink what you drive.

Let's go with you happened to pick today to swear off caffeine and/or quit smoking and you were just feeling a little cranky. Because that's not the Minnesota Nice I grew up with.

Bonnie, are you sure "Monkey code" was an insult?

So... 2.2.140. Definitely more efficient. First impressions: Better than the P85...Details as I compile them.

Wow, coming from you, that's strong praise, can't wait to hear more details!

I wonder if they're testing two different solutions head to head, .139 vs .140. So far my wife's P85D hasn't received an update to .140, she's still at .139. They could just leave them as is and collect data on both solutions to determine best implementation.

The other thing I guess is that .140 could include the .1 better 0-60 as well though I doubt it.

Since you have direct line to Jerome, can you find out what's different between the two versions of code?

I might be inclined to say pushing code so fast isn't always a great thing... but I'm in software testing and we generally like lots of time to do our checks :)
If you're working a well defined agile process then you can actually get code out to prod pretty fast.

Agreed, releasing multiple firmware changes (to anything, let alone a car) in one week is a little bit overkill for the general consumer.
Imagine if Apple released 3 or 4 firmware updates to their same Macs or iPhone models in a single week... I don't think that would be construed as good practice.

OK, HPWC dropped to 248 Volts and I got the update; I guess the update just did not like 250V and higher. :biggrin:

Just in time for the 330 mile drive across Colorado tomorrow in the P85D! Will preheat with the end of charging and then use "range" mode. Hope it helps!

Bonnie, are you sure "Monkey code" was an insult?

No, I'm not (and thanks for asking). But 'code monkey' is generally accepted as a derogatory term within the industry & I reacted to that.

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 7.28.18 PM.png

If the firmware team is reading this: THANKS.......I realize you are probably given next to impossible deadlines by the boss. I appreciate all your efforts.....I have the 2.2.140 and I will test thoroughly test it tomorrow.

bonnie,

Firstly, shame on you for betraying your frozen home wasteland and moving to California! It's below 0 here right now... ugh!

Secondly, while I am aware of the negative connotation of the clinical definition of "code monkey" (I am an officer in a software company), that was not the original intent. It may have come off that way but it wasn't intended to be negative. In our business, it would be perceived humorously.

While we are at it... for Tesla to come out with these kind of updates twice a week, things must be on fire in Fremont. As in Elon is in the office throwing things at code m... never mind, engineers. :)

bonnie,

Firstly, shame on you for betraying your frozen home wasteland and moving to California! It's below 0 here right now... ugh!

Secondly, while I am aware of the negative connotation of the clinical definition of "code monkey" (I am an officer in a software company), that was not the original intent. It may have come off that way but it wasn't intended to be negative. In our business, it would be perceived humorously.

While we are at it... for Tesla to come out with these kind of updates twice a week, things must be on fire in Fremont. As in Elon is in the office throwing things at code m... never mind, engineers. :)

I miss snow. And hey, I was born out here & taken to Minnesota while still a toddler (no one asked me, but it was okay :) ). And I'm even thinking about flying back this month for some family stuff. Snow? Cold? Pffffyt. Minnesotans are tough.

And your post totally negates the earlier one ... and thank you. I know Tesla employees read these forums and I would bet that the engineers read every single post in threads like this - it's their product, they want to make sure nothing is going wrong, they want to know what people like & don't like. Having been in the place of overworked with impossible deadlines (stevezzzz and I could tell some stories about execs and their *motivating* talks), I hate to see anyone see anything that might make them feel unappreciated.

And this post from you makes clear you feel the same way. Thanks for that - you made some engineers feel good tonight (as do the rest of you, with both what you like and don't like). We all like to feel appreciated.

:)

i got .113 several days ago, then .115 a few days ago, then .116 last night, and now the car informs me there's another update.

it seems like nobody here got BOTH version .116 AND version .139, so maybe .140 is a combined version to get everyone back on the same release channel?