Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 press release info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone picked up on the "X min charging required" at a supercharger? How do they know that for a fact? .......

The other problem is that if the supercharger stall to which you plug into is the secondary stall and the primary one is already taken by another actively-charging Model S, you won't get nearly as fast charging due to significantly (2-3x) lower current.

Good question. The FW might well tell you which stall to plug in to for optimum timing?

There's also the question of accounting for older cars which are throttled to 90kW charging at superchargers and therefore may take slightly long to charge.

Has anyone picked up on the "X min charging required" at a supercharger? ...

I interpreted that to mean "you'll need to charge at full power for X minutes" not "you will be able to stop and charge and leave in X minutes". But it would be easy for it to include your expected SoC and the corresponding tapered power levels in that estimate. Slightly more difficult but certainly doable would be to predict whether a free stall will be available. I wonder if the estimate is continuously updated based on your current speed and SoC? Some might be tempted to speed up if the prediction looks good . :)

My point is that he should have waited to make the announcement until the software was ready to be deployed. There was not need to make this announcement today. He doesn't seem able to control himself.
There might be another reason. Since the updated was pretty hyped, not living up to the hype would mean a drop in the stock. With a public beta system like Tesla uses, that would give the beta testers stock information that would not be public. That is a big no-no.

I don't see why a few days matters. Its a bit much to think that Elon can't "control himself". Perhaps he simply has a different attitude to the one you have in these matters.

Its a great set of features they are introducing, there a bit too much complaining around here.

I think it is useful to keep stories in the press that remind people that the underlying software platform that runs the car is dynamically modified and you get new features on an old car. This is something unique to Tesla and that not everyone understands. If I was Elon, I'd have a press conference for every significant firmware release.

I think 6.2 seems like a great improvement, and I think some people here just expect the impossible. From an engineering point of view over the air updates will never be able to increase the range by any significant number, it's not magic what they are doing at Tesla.

I personally feel some of the basics needed tending to before the fluff. I was speaking to a developer who on the X waiting list, and he was laughing as he said we (developers) always want to show off the icing and often forget about the basics ...

This update is aimed squarely at the most common reason people are afraid to buy an EV. That seems like focusing on the basics to me. I've never heard of anyone deciding to buy another car based on the lack of a photo when placing a call.

Hmmmm...
Automatic Emergency Braking
This new Collision Avoidance Assist feature automatically engages the brakes to reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision. Automatic Emergency Braking will stop applying the brakes when the driver presses the accelerator pedal, the brake pedal, or sharply turns the steering wheel.

How about AVOIDING the collision? Is this just lawyer speak?

- - - Updated - - -

While everyone likes icing ....

Sometimes meat and potatoes are just as exciting.

Tesla's still missing the meat and potatoes.

WHAT?????? This car is ALL meat. These are features that we have been asking for, and are a great improvement. Stop comparing Tesla to perfection, compare the car (in it's entirety) to every available alternative.

- - - Updated - - -

Well for one.. The phone interface has a placeholder for a photo, but the photos dont show (which my GM truck does).
Also, the media interface needs a major overhaul as it is still the stripped unit from the beta days.
TPMS - the upgrade now shows which tire, but you cant see the pressure reading. Really Tesla?

There's a few more that are nit picks .. but, I personally feel some of the basics needed tending to before the fluff. I was speaking to a developer who on the X waiting list, and he was laughing as he said we (developers) always want to show off the icing and often forget about the basics ...

Steve with all due respect nothing on your list is either meat or potatoes... hell, not even veggies. Who buys a car based on a photo showing of who you're calling? That's a vital function? Really? The TPMS shows you which tire is low and first displays at -9lbs (aprox) Go get air... don't care if it's 39 or 26 the meat is "hey this tire is low" the icing is exactly how low.

Once again, compare it to EVERY OTHER EV OUT THERE... In Range (Meat), Reliability (Meat), Safety (BIG Meat), Style (Potatoes), C'mon steve ;) It's to even close.

Good question. The FW might well tell you which stall to plug in to for optimum timing?

There's also the question of accounting for older cars which are throttled to 90kW charging at superchargers and therefore may take slightly long to charge.

Sorry, Nigel, I know how you feel, but my car is not throttled. I pull in and start charging at 90 kW. A "B" battery pulls in and starts charging at 120 kW. Within minutes, the B battery car has "throttled" down considerably, while my car is still putzing along at near 90. This is how it works. You know this is how it works. It has been tested by Tesla and by private drivers, and the difference in charge time is no more than a few minutes.

This constant complaining about the inabilities of the A pack is silly to me. I have never noticed any difference in charging between my car and any other. I have never noticed anyone pulling into a SC and running around distractedly because he/she has two minutes less to go hit the bathroom and grab a snack. How in the world can it be so important?!! It's not.

My A pack charges at home, as do most other packs Tesla makes. The SC is an event that happens once a week, once a month, maybe oftener, but no one is sitting around with a stop watch to see who has to wait a bit more to get their charge. It makes no sense.

Just like it makes no sense to continue to try to stir up discontent with the early Model S. My A pack is full every morning, just like everyone else's pack. If I have to charge at a SC, I charge to what I want, just like you. I take a break, read, eat, visit with other owners. Just like you. The difference you are pointing out just doesn't exist.

Even with new software, if the car says it will take 23.5 minutes to charge, who is going to watch, count seconds, and call Tesla to report errors? I have better things to do.

I think it'll be interesting to compare the next time my fiance and I take a long road trip side by side, possibly this summer, to see what it comes up with for P85 vs P85D numbers.