Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pardon the interruption for a programming announcement...

Part of the reason for doing the tracker (besides getting amazing statistical data) was to reduce the noise here with "got it / haven't gotten it / why didn't I get it" posts.
So in order to work towards that I will continue to reward people who post to the tracker with reputation points (sorry, on the days where a TON of people get a release I run out of the ability to give reputation way too quickly so not everyone gets it - I know, life's unfair) but I will only give reputation to people who post to the tracker and do NOT post here that they got the version and posted to the tracker.
i.e. I really want people to post to the tracker and avoid posting here with simple "I got it" posts. Of course, if you are the first one with a new release (easy to tell from the tracker) or if you find a new bug or can confirm that a bug is fixed, etc, by all means post. But please don't post "I got it" posts.

Thanks and sorry for the interruption.

Interesting Slacker bug today on .188: suddenly it went song hopping. Shows next song, doesn't start playing. After 10 seconds or so, hops to the next song, same thing. Kept doing that. Strong 3g signal. Switched to fm and back, didn't help. Finally rebooted center screen. After that Slacker was back to normal

Interesting Slacker bug today on .188: suddenly it went song hopping. Shows next song, doesn't start playing. After 10 seconds or so, hops to the next song, same thing. Kept doing that. Strong 3g signal. Switched to fm and back, didn't help. Finally rebooted center screen. After that Slacker was back to normal

I've had this happen to me a few times over the years in a variety of releases. When I've seen it, the slider actually looks like the song is playing really fast and then when it gets to the end, it switches to the next song. Switching from Slacker to some other source and back fixes it as well.

I hope that they are going to work with a single code line for both the S and the X (with whatever feature's appropriate for each vehicle). The release of 7.0 may coincide with that of the X.

That would mimic what Apple does when they release new hardware. I doubt Tesla is mature enough yet to pull it out, but I guess we'll see when we get to it. I, for one, can't wait for 7.0 with full auto-pilot features!

Last edited:
I've had this happen to me a few times over the years in a variety of releases. When I've seen it, the slider actually looks like the song is playing really fast and then when it gets to the end, it switches to the next song. Switching from Slacker to some other source and back fixes it as well.
No, that's not what I observed. Both the "amount cached" and the "amount played" bar didn't move. Very much like what happens if you have no 3G signal. But I had strong signal. And as I mentioned I switched to other sources and back and that didn't fix it. A reboot of the center screen did.

No, that's not what I observed. Both the "amount cached" and the "amount played" bar didn't move. Very much like what happens if you have no 3G signal. But I had strong signal. And as I mentioned I switched to other sources and back and that didn't fix it. A reboot of the center screen did.
I've had to reboot occasionally for Slacker issues with every version of the software over the past two years. I doubt it's a bug just introduced in this last build.

Sorry - didn't notice the comment about switching to FM and back. Does sound like a different issue.

I noticed today on my drive down 101 that the Active Blind Spot works great for straight line driving up to 75mph now. It doesn't work correctly on curves and I'd also like to see the size of the detection to include anything on the side of the vehicle, and not just in the blidnspot.

Haven't noticed any performance improvement in .188. But torque sleep seems to be much more aggressive. I'm able to cruise at 70mph with the power meter halfway between 0kW and 30kW.

Based on just a few trips, I'm pretty certain that I can agree that efficiency is improved in .188. On a couple of set routes that I record regularly I've seen significantly better numbers since receiving .188.

The only reason I'm stopping short of saying I'm 100% certain is that there are a couple of other variables, and I'd like to record a few more trips before I say that I am 100% certain. The vast majority of the trips I recorded were with snow tires on, and in colder weather. It's only recently that the weather has warmed up, and only very recently that I switched to all-season tires from snow tires. Even so, I'm still fairly certain .188 has improved my P85D's efficiency.

For me .188 is also much better than .153... But the weather had gotten warmer here in Portland and that could be making any firmware specific change.
But from before .188 to after with very consistent driving on the same routes Wh/mile has dropped by 20-30 (so 6-9%)

Seeing improved performance with .188 as well. Just finished roundtrip to Chicago and back in the last couple of days and was seeing energy use hovering around 300 or even lower - even with part of my travel during a rainstorm. It has been much warmer here, but even so I think this is significantly better than I would have expected to see from weather changes alone.

Seeing improved performance with .188 as well. Just finished roundtrip to Chicago and back in the last couple of days and was seeing energy use hovering around 300 or even lower - even with part of my travel during a rainstorm. It has been much warmer here, but even so I think this is significantly better than I would have expected to see from weather changes alone.

Warming weather makes a HUGE difference. Fact that .188 got pushed exactly when midwest weather turned is I think causing false positives among MS owners going into their first spring.

Warming weather makes a HUGE difference. Fact that .188 got pushed exactly when midwest weather turned is I think causing false positives among MS owners going into their first spring.

There is a chance you are correct, and I did make reference to that possibility in my post upthread.

On the other hand, dirkhh is not a new Model S owner, and he seems to agree.

And some of the trips I've been charting have been at similar temperatures (I record temperature) but the efficiency is significantly better. The variable I'm not certain about is the wind. I try to record that too, but it's less accurate than the temperature. That's one of the reasons I said I wanted to collect some more data before stating I was certain.

Another reason I'm pretty confident that the increase in efficiency is real is that I plug all my trips into EV Trip Planner, and compare my efficiency to what EV Trip Planner would predict. The recent trips with .188 have been significantly better. EV Trip Planner takes temperature into account.

Below is today's trip, and the comparison to EV Trip Planner. Before .188 it was rare for any of my numbers to be better than the numbers EV Trip Planner predicted, unless I had a strong tailwind. As you can see, today's numbers were all significantly better.

EV Trip Planner

Estimates:

DateDistanceRMTotal EnergyAvg EnergyHwy SpeedCabin TempOutdoor TempWindElev ChangeConditionsPayloadDistanceRMTotal EnergyAvg EnergySpd Factor
5/7/1558.35115.326365-7062812TW(630)Clear42557.75315.92751

To Manlius May 7 2015.jpg

Last edited:
Also, while we're talking about the possibility of an efficiency improvement in .188, let's not overlook the fact that I'm fairly certain .188 has also corrected the odometers' over-statement of mileage in P85Ds and S85Ds that had been taking place. See this thread: P85D and S85D odometer inaccuracy corrected in firmware version 6.2.2.4.188. (It would be great if others could confirm this.)

It was generally accepted that the over-estimation was by about .8%. So an efficiency metric based on mileage, like Wh/mi is even "more better" to the tune of .8% more better.

What I mean is if your Wh/mi now is exactly what it was before, it is actually about .8% better, since the car is now recording longer, but more accurate miles. So if you're seeing what appears to be a 10% increase in Wh/mi, it's really more like an 11% increase in Wh/mi.