Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I'm 99% sure I've figured out the car audio mute issue. There are two symptoms: 1) If you have energy savings mode turned "On", and you pause the audio before you leave the car, the car will NOT remember that it was paused, and next time you wake it up, it will resume playing audio at previous volume. 2) Also if you have energy savings mode turned "On", and you pause the audio before you leave car for long period, you may come back to completely different song.

It is really very simple error. When car goes into energy savings mode, it somehow does not correctly save the state of the audio pause/play button. Or, possibly, when it wakes up, it does not check prior state. Either way, it wakes up playing. If you've only parked a while, then it will resume same song it was previously playing. If you've parked a long time - say, overnight to charge - the car has been woken up overnight and resumed playing while it was awake (and you were asleep!). So, when you turn car back on, the audio progressed from the song you were playing when you left.

BTW, none of this happens if you have energy savings mode "off".

Though I never had it before 6.2, this error was reported widely several releases ago. Then it seemed to be fixed. Now it is back. Should be ultra-easy fix.

Anyone have a good channel to report to Tesla? "Bug report" in the car doesn't work with this much info. I used to send these things to "ownership@", but that's gone. Now the "service@" is there, but for the past year, it seems they just forward everything to the local Service Center, then you get a call from some well-meaning person who can't fix code. This really needs to get to the software engineers.

Thanks for saying that.

I try to avoid falling into the trap of posting things about changed this or that unless I have pretty solid evidence, because I know what the patterns here have been. I really think this time Tesla has given us something to talk about!
I nearly got sucked into this trap on my most recent update. I could have sworn that the hill hold improved, but now I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I'm 99% sure I've figured out the car audio mute issue. There are two symptoms: 1) If you have energy savings mode turned "On", and you pause the audio before you leave the car, the car will NOT remember that it was paused, and next time you wake it up, it will resume playing audio at previous volume. 2) Also if you have energy savings mode turned "On", and you pause the audio before you leave car for long period, you may come back to completely different song.

It is really very simple error. When car goes into energy savings mode, it somehow does not correctly save the state of the audio pause/play button. Or, possibly, when it wakes up, it does not check prior state. Either way, it wakes up playing. If you've only parked a while, then it will resume same song it was previously playing. If you've parked a long time - say, overnight to charge - the car has been woken up overnight and resumed playing while it was awake (and you were asleep!). So, when you turn car back on, the audio progressed from the song you were playing when you left.

Though I never had it before 6.2, this error was reported widely several releases ago. Then it seemed to be fixed. Now it is back. Should be ultra-easy fix.

Anyone have a good channel to report to Tesla? "Bug report" in the car doesn't work with this much info. I used to send these things to "ownership@", but that's gone. Now the "service@" is there, but for the past year, it seems they just forward everything to the local Service Center, then you get a call from some well-meaning person who can't fix code. This really needs to get to the software engineers.
I think that generally they have issues with the energy savings mode right now. If I use it, the 3G takes a very long time to recover after waking up. I've been advised not to use it unless I don't care about waiting for 3G for 10 mins or so.

Few notes from my latest trip.

A change in .188 is annoying. The range assurance stuff is more nagging now. I started my ~230 mile trip Saturday and every couple of minutes for the first part of the trip it would pop up and complain. I know this trip is possible (done in ~6 times now), but the estimator doesn't think so.

2015-05-09 09.57.24-crop.jpg

or

2015-05-09 09.55.53-crop.jpg

And then as the estimate dipped back below 0% and above again, it'd pop up again, etc. Seemed to be no way to disabled this. Called Tesla and put in a feature removal request... heh.

Also, funny thing at the supercharger:

2015-05-09 12.59.47-crop.jpg

Pretty sure if I'm supercharging there was no need for this to pop up... (yes, it came up right after I had plugged in... notice the charging amperage hasn't ramped yet when I took the pic).

Seems they have some bugs to work out.

SC installed 2.4.213 on my classic P85+ yesterday. Tracker updated. It's curious that when the SC installs an update, the mirror reverse positions is not preserved. If I install the update OTA, all positions are preserved across the update. This is not the first time this has happened to me either.

SC installed 2.4.213 on my classic P85+ yesterday. Tracker updated. It's curious that when the SC installs an update, the mirror reverse positions is not preserved. If I install the update OTA, all positions are preserved across the update. This is not the first time this has happened to me either.

Does the SC maybe do a "reset" along with installs perhaps? It couldn't be a hard reset though or else you would lose your driver profiles and homelink too.

My mirror tilting was lost when I updated to 6.1 and it was an OTA update. Other people have reported losing the mirror sertings after OTA updates. But it doesn't happen on every update, and has only happened to me once. So I don't think it's a matter of SC vs. OTA, just something that is not rare but not consistent.

My mirror tilting was lost when I updated to 6.1 and it was an OTA update. Other people have reported losing the mirror sertings after OTA updates. But it doesn't happen on every update, and has only happened to me once. So I don't think it's a matter of SC vs. OTA, just something that is not rare but not consistent.

It may happen occasionally with OTA updates, but I believe the consensus here is that it happens 100% of the time with SC installed updates.

It may happen occasionally with OTA updates, but I believe the consensus here is that it happens 100% of the time with SC installed updates.

In over two years, I've only lost my mirror tilt settings once, and it was with an over-the-air update and not one of many that I've had installed during a service visit. What's interesting to me is just about every time my car's been in for service, they will report on the invoice that they installed the latest firmware. That seems to be one of the "standard" things they do at each visit. Anyone know if it's done via the SC's WiFi or whether they do it hard-wired?

In over two years, I've only lost my mirror tilt settings once, and it was with an over-the-air update and not one of many that I've had installed during a service visit. What's interesting to me is just about every time my car's been in for service, they will report on the invoice that they installed the latest firmware. That seems to be one of the "standard" things they do at each visit. Anyone know if it's done via the SC's WiFi or whether they do it hard-wired?

Not sure, but I had .213 installed at the SC yesterday and, as expected, I lost my mirror settings again. It happens to me every time the SC does an update.

Thanks for the tip. I listen to audiobooks a lot and it was very annoying as it reset back to the start of the book every time I hopped back into the car. Setting Energy Savings off solved it.

I reported to Tesla (via our local Aussie service manager) and they said they didn't know of the problem previously. When I updated them with the workaround, they commented that "they should read the forums more often" :)

I'm on 188 firmware.

Elon, I've heard many times just how much even you love I-405 in LA. Not! So trying to avoid it in Friday evening commute traffic should be a good idea. Unfortunately the Model S navigation software doesn't seem to think so.

Friday, May 15th I drove from the San Jose area down to Fullerton. Nav. wanted to stop at the Culver City supercharger before heading to Fullerton even though driving directly would leave me with over 100 miles charge to spare. No problem. I just removed that supercharger from the route. Problem solved right? Wrong! Along the way on the last leg of the route the nav. wanted me to avoid a slow section of I-5 due to traffic. I decided not to go off the freeway and the traffic wasn't so bad after all. However, unknown to me when nav. recalculated the route to Fullerton it ADDED the Culver City supercharger back into the route again! Nothing obvious about the new route showed up on nav. so I didn't know what had happened. So there we go on the 405 through LA during Friday evening commute time...

Elon, I hope you agree that this is a real bug and plan to have it fixed soon! Nav should never have added that supercharger back into the route without me confirming.

Before the traffic detour my final ETA was shown as minutes before 7:00pm. After not taking the traffic detour my ETA was shown as after 7:30pm! I arrived after 7:40pm. I didn't lose 40 minutes plus be not taking the detour. Traffic only slowed me down there by 1 - 2 minutes where nav. wanted me to detour.