Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many people are going to scream in excitement, rush to the car, wait two hours, then scream in sadness?!?

I must be a bad person, because the image of that made me lol.

Not very nice of Max to make a boldfaced false statement, at least without a :wink:

Hey now, I put a very small disclaimer on the bottom saying that I kid!

At first I made it white, but then realized this forum wouldn't find the humor (on another forum there is a "spoiler" tag, which hides the font, but people there know to look for it) and changed it to VERY light grey :D

Nice first post.

This is a pretty good theory, so far not disproven.

Yes, while not disproven, I find it a very dubious theory. I mean, nowadays, who uses one-byte integers when there's really no need for it. It's not like the build number is repeated thousands or millions of times (like in a database) where single bytes actually count, and most likely, the version and build numbers are just stored as strings. Storing the individual build numbers x.y.z as a three byte integer doesn't make sense to me for software development. I know it's the internet and people will disagree, and that's fine. But I suspect someday in the near future, we'll see a build number that does disprove this theory.

My car is still installing but I'll let you know. Maybe they have the 3G "fix" in this release. Doesn't sound promising :)

My car had no problem connecting to the internet for Slacker, browser, navigation etc. but Tune In seems to be knackered - never connects. I still can't login to this either.
On another note, I am optimistic that the 3G disconnection/slow connection issues that are plaguing us Canadian owners MAY be solved. So far today, it seems to be behaving but I need to try some more scientific experiments.

Yes, while not disproven, I find it a very dubious theory. I mean, nowadays, who uses one-byte integers when there's really no need for it. It's not like the build number is repeated thousands or millions of times (like in a database) where single bytes actually count, and most likely, the version and build numbers are just stored as strings. Storing the individual build numbers x.y.z as a three byte integer doesn't make sense to me for software development. I know it's the internet and people will disagree, and that's fine. But I suspect someday in the near future, we'll see a build number that does disprove this theory.
All it takes is one tool confused by "large" numbers to motivate the entire infrastructure to respect the constraint.

As an example, a lot of the computer world is still limited to 8.3 and it's been decades since Win95.

The "firmware" is really not all software. It includes FPGA configuration bitstream too. And if they store the version number in hardware, it is conceivable to choose a certain number of bits to represent each segment of the version when first setting up the register definitions. It's not as arbitrary as a software-only project.