Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still on .251. Does this mean when 7 comes out, ill have to first wait for .253, then .21 and then 7? Or usually will they just push 7 out?

You don't have to go sequentially. You will get the latest public release whenever your car gets to the top of the roster for a push. I was always on 6.2, but went from .168 -> .239 -> .253 even though I drove .188 and .249 loaners as well.

Last edited:
Yes, but I haven't seen an 8 bit field used for version numbers for a long time. I doubt they would have done that. It is usually one word, aka either 32 bits or possibly 64 bits. That puts a minimum cutoff at 32768. Not 255.

And, maybe that's why it took someone so long to make the connection, but it is ringing true, isn't it? I mean, who would have thought they'd NEED more than 8 bits for sub-release numbers. Bit economy, speaking as someone who wrote quadruple buffering subroutines to manage memory segments back in the day when a K was a LOT!:redface:

And, maybe that's why it took someone so long to make the connection, but it is ringing true, isn't it? I mean, who would have thought they'd NEED more than 8 bits for sub-release numbers. Bit economy, speaking as someone who wrote quadruple buffering subroutines to manage memory segments back in the day when a K was a LOT!:redface:

Depends on how they're doing things. If every change triggers a build and that build gets a release number then it would be very easy to get more than 255 releases. If a human being is looking at some state and saying this one is 250 and this one is 251, and so on then maybe they don't need more than 8 bits. I'd hope they're doing the former rather than the later because it's by far the better way to handle things.

Depends on how they're doing things. If every change triggers a build and that build gets a release number then it would be very easy to get more than 255 releases. If a human being is looking at some state and saying this one is 250 and this one is 251, and so on then maybe they don't need more than 8 bits. I'd hope they're doing the former rather than the later because it's by far the better way to handle things.

Agreed. I'd be willing to bet that every build that Tesla compiles with any change or bug fix increments the release number.
So when a major new release comes out, it has already gone through many many iterations that were only seen internally (or to early access customers).
That's probably why we see very high numbers on the first public-ready builds, such as 2.0.76 (first 6.0 build), 2.2.113 (first 6.1 build), and 2.4.124 (first 6.2 build).

Agreed. I'd be willing to bet that every build that Tesla compiles with any change or bug fix increments the release number.
So when a major new release comes out, it has already gone through many many iterations that were only seen internally (or to early access customers).
That's probably why we see very high numbers on the first public-ready builds, such as 2.0.76 (first 6.0 build), 2.2.113 (first 6.1 build), and 2.4.124 (first 6.2 build).

I was thinking the same thing, but have no programming experience, so was leaving the discussion to those of you who do. I was glad to see you say this!

Definitely does not seem to be the case for me in the P85D with .253. Looked out for this a few times today and didn't experience anything that would suggest it monitored brake lights.

Maybe it's better if I describe the behavior and not the conclusion. I'm open to being wrong on both.

With .251, the operational case of decelerating car in front of you, locked on by TACC, is greatly improved. Whereas before, TACC would only decelerate when the distance to the next car was noticeably shortening, it is now doing it the way I would do it as a human. I see brake lights, I let off the go pedal ever so slightly to a coast condition, maybe 0.25-0.5 seconds before old TACC would have waited to decelerate. New TACC seems to do this earlier than before as a coast condition instead of jumping straight to hard decel.

A 0.25-0.5 second difference is huge. Perceptive drivers could describe one version as "choppy" with "roughness" while the reduced-latency version is a non-event in the driver's mind. For those of you who are hyper sensitive to this, you know the difference between 250ms and 500ms lag (both suck!). :)

Now, for the conclusion bit. I don't agree that when brake lights go on, cars slow down. If you're like me in my former ICE car, you sometimes lightly hover brake as you want to slow down, but you're not quite sure yet. This state could last as little as 0.5 seconds, but usually, a human decision is made by the event +1.0 second mark. In this condition, the brake lights are on, but deceleration is minimal. A perceptive human driver will enter a coast-condition for the initial 0.5 seconds in anticipation, but old TACC did not.

Whether the new TACC is doing some kind of brake-light algorithm on top of the radar, I don't know. But if it were me working on the autopilot team, I would for sure superimpose a brake-light algorithm on top of the radar sensitivity, even if it just gave the TACC a 0.25-0.5 early action in the form of deceleration/coast.

- K

Last edited:
Maybe it's better if I describe the behavior and not the conclusion. I'm open to being wrong on both.

With .251, the operational case of decelerating car in front of you, locked on by TACC, is greatly improved. Whereas before, TACC would only decelerate when the distance to the next car was noticeably shortening, it is now doing it the way I would do it as a human. I see brake lights, I let off the go pedal ever so slightly to a coast condition, maybe 0.25-0.5 seconds before old TACC would have waited to decelerate. New TACC seems to do this earlier than before as a coast condition instead of jumping straight to hard decel.

Whether the new TACC is doing some kind of brake-light algorithm on top of the radar, I don't know. But if it were me working on the autopilot team, I would for sure superimpose a brake-light algorithm on top of the radar sensitivity, even if it just gave the TACC a 0.25-0.5 early action in the form of deceleration/coast.

It should be pretty easy to tell if the TACC is now coasting at the times you suggest it might be. Assuming you had been requiring power to maintain whatever speed you had been cruising at, the power gauge would be showing the power usage in orange. If the TACC was going to be actively slowing you down for a car braking in front of you it would regeneratively brake, and you'd see green on the power gauge. If the TACC is really causing the car to coast, you should see the thin orange line at 0, even if it is for just a short time, before the car would then either go back to using power or start braking, depending on what the target car had actually done.

On a road trip this weekend, a .253 car's TACC accelerated coming up to a car while they were braking for traffic. The car then went into its usually heavy friction brake mode. It was a significant improvement since the last time I drove with TACC under .188, but still not silky smooth. As Khat described it though, TACC under .253 is much better about using regen and ramping up to speed, but it will still slam the friction brakes or gun it at times.

Ah, right. I was going by this, which looked upon a cursory view like it was different from 2.4 release notes:

Just got a software update notice. Installing now. 7.0? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Why do people do that? Someone started a thread like that here a couple of weeks ago that then wound up getting merged into this one. But how much of an optimist do you have to be to believe that just because you're receiving an update, it's the long-awaited 7.0, and that you're the first person getting it? And even if you are that much of an optimist, to start a thread before being certain? Really?

Why do people do that? Someone started a thread like that here a couple of weeks ago that then wound up getting merged into this one. But how much of an optimist do you have to be to believe that just because you're receiving an update, it's the long-awaited 7.0, and that you're the first person getting it? And even if you are that much of an optimist, to start a thread before being certain? Really?

I completely concur with you. I also feel the same way about people posting that they got the already established "generally" highest build number. Thanks but what is that really adding to the conversation? That said, I just scroll past them. I've probably made posts that others just scroll past too! :)

I completely concur with you. I also feel the same way about people posting that they got the already established "generally" highest build number. Thanks but what is that really adding to the conversation? That said, I just scroll past them. I've probably made posts that others just scroll past too! :)

One of the reasons the firmware upgrade tracker was started was to eliminate the need for the repeated posts about the most current version. Perhaps it's just taking time for people to catch on.