Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "firmware" is really not all software. It includes FPGA configuration bitstream too. And if they store the version number in hardware, it is conceivable to choose a certain number of bits to represent each segment of the version when first setting up the register definitions. It's not as arbitrary as a software-only project.

I've worked in the software industry for the last 25 years, and versioning has always been an Achilles heel. There is no perfect versioning scheme. Requirements vary with the industry, the release cycle, regulation, and any other number of factors. There is no one "right" way to version, and versioning schemes change as a result.

When new features are released, we will know. Until then, I won't particularly care about the version number other an the fact that it is the latest.

Like what? I can't remember the last time I encountered anything limited to 8.3.

I didn't challenge that because someone will come up with some obscure embedded system that's still running DOS or Win 95 that relies on 8.3 and has one upstream WinXP machine that has to deal with it. I'm sure they're out there, but they have to be really few and far between.

Since he hasn't seemed to have been around much lately, allow me to impersonate Dirk and remind people to enter their data in the firmware upgrade tracker here:

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

It takes almost no time at all, and the data being gathered is definitely valuable.

After entering my most recent firmware update data just now, I took a look at some of the previously collected data. While I hadn't been particularly concerned about it, I had thought I had been "left behind" a bit, having had version .250 until today, while having been reading for some time about many people having .251 and .253. Well, when I looked at the data just now, I learned that I wasn't really left behind at all. Only 11 P85Ds had a version newer than .250 before this newest release, and there had been 41 that had reported an update to .250. So I was in the same group with the roughly 3/4 of the P85D owners who had not received additional updates, and of the 1/4 that had received updates beyond .250, some of them had probably received them at Service Centers.

I find this stuff interesting.

And until Dirk and Hank got this going, we were all pretty much in the dark on all this. So I'll again say thanks to them for the idea and the implementation, and to everyone else--remember to share your data, for the benefit of all of us!

Tesla is going to skip v7 and skip to v8, which focuses on the prominent display of individual tire pressures. v8 won't have autopilot features since v7 is still going to be delayed a few Tesla weeks.

Side note: no updates on either car here for a while. P85D is still on .251... forget what the P85 is on, but it hasn't seen an OTA for a while. I guess Tesla pushed me back on the list after all of my griping. lol.

Side note: no updates on either car here for a while. P85D is still on .251...

Which, if I recall correctly, you got at a service center, right?

There were only 8 P85Ds on .251 in the tracker, and only 3 on .253. I didn't bother to check, but it's possible most of those were SC updates. The 41 others in the tracker started getting the newest update yesterday and today. It would surprise me if your P85D doesn't get the update by the weekend, but I'm not particularly surprised yet.

Which, if I recall correctly, you got at a service center, right?

There were only 8 P85Ds on .251 in the tracker, and only 3 on .253. I didn't bother to check, but it's possible most of those were SC updates. The 41 others in the tracker started getting the newest update yesterday and today. It would surprise me if your P85D doesn't get the update by the weekend, but I'm not particularly surprised yet.

Yeah, was staged at the service center. Not sure if I updated the tracker...

My P85D vin 71XXX is now also on 2.5.21...

Nothing exiting new from what I can tell.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438769046.478621.jpg

(with apologies to Bernstein and Sondheim)

I hear clicking
So much clicking
I hear clicking and ticking hooray!
Brand new firmware
downloading in my car to-day.

I hear ticking,
So much ticking,
I hear ticking and clicking al-right!
Point two-one’s here
and it makes such a pleasing sight.

(with apologies to Bernstein and Sondheim)

I hear clicking
So much clicking
I hear clicking and ticking hooray!
Brand new firmware
downloading in my car to-day.

I hear ticking,
So much ticking,
I hear ticking and clicking al-right!
Point two-one’s here
and it makes such a pleasing sight.

Tinm, you clearly need to know about this thread: Tesla Poetry / Limericks / Haiku