Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still on .36, so can't comment on your specific question, but I did start a thread about a month ago, with some pretty solid data, indicating that at that time it seemed Tesla was still tweaking efficiency settings, based on the fact that my efficiency had improved from one firmware update to another. Here's that thread, if you're interested: My P85D's efficiency is still improving with firmware updates

Would be interested in seeing your updated trip numbers once you've upgraded to .71. I've also been keeping track of my daily commute but haven't really seen any real improvements since torque sleep was released in early-Feb. I'll upgrade to .71 tonight (assuming that's the release for which I got an update notification this morning) and report back by the end of the week on efficiency results.

Looks like 2.5.71 hit the following core systems:

Battery Management
Drive Inverter
Gateway
Thermal Controller

No Driver Assistance update this time, which is why it was faster than usual.

Have any idea whether the same update affects these systems equally on all cars? For instance, I can see it only updating the BMS on dual motor packs, but that same code may not apply to Rev D and earlier packs, which exclusively power single motors.

What's the thermal controller?

Would be interested in seeing your updated trip numbers once you've upgraded to .71. I've also been keeping track of my daily commute but haven't really seen any real improvements since torque sleep was released in early-Feb. I'll upgrade to .71 tonight (assuming that's the release for which I got an update notification this morning) and report back by the end of the week on efficiency results.

My RWD is still on .36 and I also noticed a big efficiency improvement. I had chalked it up to cooler weather making the a/c work less hard. My daily commute now averages 290-300 Wh/mi instead of 330-350 Wh/mi. Perhaps some efficiency improvement got baked into .36 and later?

Sure.

I'm still keeping records, and it doesn't look to me like there's been any improvement from 6.2.2.4.250 through 6.2.5.21 and 6.2.5.36. (My overall average, combining all trips, for the July and August trips that were on 6.2.2.4.36 averaged 274 Wh/mi. For August and September, on 5.21 and 5.36, the overall average is 275 Wh/mi. By comparison, June and July, on 6.2.2.4.236 was 286 Wh/mi.)

I'll keep recording data, but it is getting colder now, so it might be a bit difficult to make valid comparisons.

My RWD is still on .36 and I also noticed a big efficiency improvement. I had chalked it up to cooler weather making the a/c work less hard. My daily commute now averages 290-300 Wh/mi instead of 330-350 Wh/mi. Perhaps some efficiency improvement got baked into .36 and later?
I'm on .36 with classic P85, and have not noticed anything unusual. I suspect your improvement is down to weather that's more in the battery's sweet spot. Or, did you recently inflate tires or get alignment? Both can make big impact. Also wind, and speed of course, but I'm sure you know that given your tenure!

I'm on .36 with classic P85, and have not noticed anything unusual. I suspect your improvement is down to weather that's more in the battery's sweet spot. Or, did you recently inflate tires or get alignment? Both can make big impact. Also wind, and speed of course, but I'm sure you know that given your tenure!

Yeah. Nothing that screamed being any different to explain the difference other than cooler weather. I get into a "heat soaked" car now at 105 instead of 121 per the Tesla app, though sometimes it is in the nineties when I get back in the car to leave work.

I believe Gateway is to fix the LTE issues some of us have had since my service notes for pulling the fuse was called "Gateway reboot".

No, the Gateway is a separate embedded device that's physically part of the touchscreen, it's job is to act as the gatekeeper across the various networks on the Model S, passing information back and forth as needed and also is where Tesla does all it's logging. It also performs all the software updating in the car except for the IC and the CID. (Speedo / Touchscreen)

Have any idea whether the same update affects these systems equally on all cars? For instance, I can see it only updating the BMS on dual motor packs, but that same code may not apply to Rev D and earlier packs, which exclusively power single motors.

What's the thermal controller?
They usually send out a full package of files for all systems. If your car has something older than what they send out, then it updates that system. If the version is the same then it skips it.

The thermal controller is the module that controls all the HVAC and Thermal Management systems on the car, such as for cooling the inverter, battery, etc.

For the 25 people who received .71... do all of you have LTE by chance?

Because I try to understand the patterns in these upgrades. That's why I came up with the idea for the tracker to begin with. So we ask for a few pertinent features of the Model S (like AP/noAP, D or RWD), but we didn't think ahead to ask for LTE...

I thought about that a few weeks ago, but only changed the "3G" entry to "3G/LTE" since it's really unknown if the transfer happened over LTE or 3G (or both) at the time of download.

I'm pretty sure what Dirk is suggesting is that LTE would have been / would be another feature of the cars that we'd want to be tracking updates by, like dual motor vs. non-dual motor, auto pilot vs. non-auto pilot, LTE vs non-LTE, as opposed to whether the update came via LTE, 3G, WIFI, etc.

How the update came is relatively insignificant. If only cars with LTE are getting an update, that may be pretty significant.

Edit: I realize it may be a very daunting task, or actually not even possible for you, Hank, to add features to track this way at this late stage. On the other hand, I imagine to some extent you probably planned for this, as new models and features (P90D, Ludicrous Mode) are being added all the time.

C'mon Tesla Engineers, would any of you feel comfortable with this many updates to YOUR car and not knowing what's going on? Of course it's probably not Engineering that elected to keep us in the dark.
I work with software that is at worst responsible for a few million dollars in business activity over the course of a few weeks, and we update way less frequently. This stuff moves 4,800 pounds of electric sex as fast as 150 mph. I'm with you.