Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not even sure how you guys manage to get the OTA to download overnight. After the update to .179 my car is now in the annoying deep sleep mode after 10pm which is really annoying me. Can't even turn the sleep off anymore. During sleep the car doesn't even connect to internet/3g at all.

I am not even sure how you guys manage to get the OTA to download overnight. After the update to .179 my car is now in the annoying deep sleep mode after 10pm which is really annoying me. Can't even turn the sleep off anymore. During sleep the car doesn't even connect to internet/3g at all.

When Tesla is ready to upload the update to your car they wake it via the cellular modem, probably via SMS, just like when you wake the car via the mobile app. Then it downloads the update. Doesn't matter if it's sleeping.

If it could be enabled/disabled while in motion I would definitely use it for what I would guess would be a decent driving style efficiency boost. But you have to be in park to toggle it. There also doesn't seem to be a way to change the PIN once it's set the first time?

Looks like I can be reset by entering the MyTesla credentials, which I'm assuming will clear the PIN and request to set it again next time Valet mode is selected:

IMG_7662.jpg

Yeah, thanks Marc!

Of course this is par for the course from the guy who wore a GoPro camera to his delivery and orientation and filmed it for all of us...

Hehe you're both welcome - minor correction though, for the record: I officially did NOT "wear" my GoPro during delivery; I simply held it for a few minutes and set it down on the armrests for the most part.

DANG
Same here. OTA update to 6.2/2.4.124. When I got back to the car I had an error message. Drive Assistance disabled. Contact Tesla Service.
Several reboots and deep reboots didn't clear it. I'll call them tomorrow.

Sorry to hear. I'm 2+ hours in and the car is playing music to entertain itself... Can't turn it down or anything. Hope TM can help you Dirk. I have ~300 mile trip tomorrow so fingers crossed mine doesn't go the same way.

I assume this is another iOS-only feature?

*cracks knuckles* *writes strongly worded letter about lack of Android support*

(I refuse to touch iOS, not even with a 15' poll)

It's not on my iPhone right now and there are no pending updates to the app. So I can only assume that there is an update coming; maybe even for Android!

iPhones aren't so bad. But I still miss the keyboard from my old Blackberry.

Good update, but the nav/energy planning really needs way-points. I'm going on a multi-destination trip on Friday where I don't need to charge to get to point A. The current software would say all is fine. But I won't have enough energy left to get to point B, and the most convenient charging location is on the way to A (which is 140 miles or so from the starting point.) if I could program A and B, the car could tell me to charge on the way to A. Without waypoints, when I'm at A and I set the nav to go to B, it's going to suggest back tracking which is not the ideal route.

I started the install in the wee hours, before I went to bed, and got up very early this morning, before my wife took the car to work, to check on the update, which succeeded. Since she really wanted to leave I was only able to check two things very quickly. One appears to be a negative, as I expected, and one is a huge and unexpected positive.

The expected negative, which may have a workaround that I admittedly did not have time to look for because my wife was antsy to leave for work, is that it appears the navigation system does not have an option to not route through superchargers. This, quite literally, renders it useless to me for pretty much any long trips at this point, because I don't have superchargers on the routes I'd be taking, and would be either just making it, or using HPWCs for some extra power. The superchargers currently are not a viable alternative.

I won't be able to play with the nav system again until this evening, so if someone discovers a way to use it and set a route that doesn't utilize superchargers but does require charging, please post how that's done. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the nav system anyway, as I rarely use it because I haven't been willing to trust it, and since it hasn't had way points or the ability to let me pick my own route, it just hasn't been one of the features of the car I've familiarized myself with. I'm posting that not as a complaint but as an explanation as to why I easily could have missed it if there is a simple way to select an alternate route.

The huge unexpected positive is that I'm fairly certain this firmware update has significantly improved the pack heating when on shore power. I say that because while it was 29 degrees F here when my wife left this morning, she left without a regen limit. That has never happened before in conditions quite a bit warmer than this. Add to that the following bit of information: we normally preheat the car, with range mode off, to warm the pack, for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes in the morning, before she leaves. This morning we did not do that, because I didn't want her to try to connect with the app before I saw car-side whether or not the update had completed successfully. I had timed the charge of the batter to end within about 30 minutes of when she was leaving, but I usually come pretty close to that. It has been our experience that no matter what we have done to heat the pack in the past when on shore power, the pack never heats beyond a regen limt of 30 if it is cold enough to limit regen beyond that, as it certainly was this morning.

I realize this is only one data point, but unless this was some weird side effect of the actual firmware update process, and not a feature built into the firmware, I am very pleased about this. It may mean we no longer have to preheat the cabin to warm the pack when on shore power, or that we don't have to preheat it as much, and / or that we can get more regen available from doing so.

I'm hoping to hear others confirm similar experiences. It'll mean even more coming from those who didn't just complete the firmware update.

Last edited:
Why is there a minimum speed on Blind Spot Monitoring? My previous car, a Lexus GS350, had this as well but I would like to have BSM at all times, especially when moving slowly in stop and go traffic on the highway - which is pretty much everyday for me here in Toronto. But I am guessing there is a technical reason why it doesn't work at low speeds, like below 30 km/h.

- - - Updated - - -

iPhones aren't so bad. But I still miss the keyboard from my old Blackberry.
And everyone should get prepared to move to iPhones when Apple buys Tesla, or maybe when Tesla buys Apple.

DANG
Same here. OTA update to 6.2/2.4.124. When I got back to the car I had an error message. Drive Assistance disabled. Contact Tesla Service.
Several reboots and deep reboots didn't clear it. I'll call them tomorrow.

I did the update while out and about at a park last night. I neglected to notice the estimated install time. I expected to be an hour before returning to the car (and would just read these forums if the update wasn't done when I returned!) I ended up running into a friend, and thus was over 2 hours before coming back to the car. Having sat in the car of a prior update, which didn't take too long, I was entirely expecting it to be done. When I got in the car, it was playing music, but everything else was non-functional. I waited about 10 minutes, and nothing changed. I definitely got worried, but just as I was debating calling Tesla, a message about update in progress flashed on one of the screens. Thankfully, the update finished up a minute later.

I unfortunately saw the Driver Assistance disabled message. It went away after a bit and I drove home. TACC was not functioning, and that Disabled message would reappear when I tried to engage it (or maybe it was a message about camera visibility, can't recall, either way it did not engage). However, about 10 minutes into my drive, I tried again (I was constantly trying actually), and it worked. Seems like something just needed to 'finish up' i the install process even after it said it was complete.

Got home around 6:00 pm, checked about an hour later and update was ready to go. Started the update and a couple of hours later it was done.

Sometime during the middle of the update, I thought I heard music, looked in the garage and the car was completely dark, but streaming audio, think it did that until right before update was done.

Just updated the wiki. A few comments:

1/ Why are we bolding and putting 6.2 in red? If it's to highlight the latest release, it's going to be short lived. As soon as the next version is out we're going to have to go back and un-do the bold/red color.
2/ If we want to do anything useful with this data, such as try to find patterns, wouldn't a spreadsheet be more useful?

Last edited:
Did you guys both miss the part of the release notes that said that "Cruise Control / Traffic-Aware Cruise Control Is Disabled" (in Valet mode)?

If not, just what are you referring to?

Will it disable TACC and switch to old fashioned CC or will it disable CC entirely?

If it allows old school CC with reduced power profile that might be a plus for those that want to drive in ECO mode with CC effectively.

First thoughts on 6.2

So right after the upgrade I had the "contact tesla service" "driver assistance disabled" messages.
This morning when I got into the car they were gone and all seems well. So the theory that maybe something isn't done calibrating right after an upgrade may have some merit.

Driving to work this morning I paid attention to TACC and blind spot warning.
TACC seems improved. It definitely felt smoother to me. I'll need a few more miles with it to have tried more scenarios, but overall this seems fine.
Blind spot warning was more of a disappointment. For one thing I don't look at my speedometer when considering a lane change. I look at the mirror - and that's where other implementations of this have the warning indication.
And even if I look at the speedometer, the white arc is way too unobtrusive. It does not stand out to me like an orange light on the mirror does.
Finally, when doing a perfectly safe (if maybe not perfectly polite) lane change in front of another car in the left lane the car suddenly beeped at me. I assume that was the lane change warning and if it was, that was a little more aggressive than I really wanted...

Why is there a minimum speed on Blind Spot Monitoring? My previous car, a Lexus GS350, had this as well but I would like to have BSM at all times, especially when moving slowly in stop and go traffic on the highway - which is pretty much everyday for me here in Toronto. But I am guessing there is a technical reason why it doesn't work at low speeds, like below 30 km/h.

I believe that the sensors look for objects that are within sensor range and appear to be moving at or near the same speed of the vehicle. Otherwise they would detect lots of objects that are stationary but send temporary signal returns. My understanding is that these systems return far too many false positives to be useful at very slow speeds. The same sensors are used for parking assist and the processing is different for that, so there also needs to be a speed where the software transitions to park assist.

Here's my take after driving home with it yesterday.

TACC - Amazing improvement, it no longer jerks in phases when the Tesla is presented with a car in front of it. The 30 second hold was great too. I take the 405 freeway from LA or OC, and in three spots where I have to accelerate again to activate it I no longer had to do it. So technically, I ONLY used the accelerator and brake pedals to get on the freeway and once I exited the freeway. It's like the relationship with me and my car has gone up to another level.

Blind spot - This to me its useless. for two simple reasons.
1) The warning signal is not clear on the dash, it's not presented well. Truth be told, I'm thinking there is some sort of link between the mirrors that have that screw once folded and the cars that don't. Call me crazy but I think there will be new mirrors. Article can be found here. Until there isn't a warning light in the mirror that signifies something in your blind spot I see this as a lost case. It's not something that can be added on without lights being installed at the edges of the drivers periphery.

2) Here in CA motorcyclists can drive in between cars. On the freeway they ride between the carpool and fast lane. This alone is enough to piss me off. Every time a motorcycle passes me the red lines come up and the steering wheel vibrates and there's a beep. I wish there was some sort of setting that would allow you to adjust this, just like the TACC. If you're in CA and you drive in the carpool or fast lane this could get anoying QUICK. But with this being said I'm talking about a case that's only relevant to 1/50 states.

Audio - The music I listened to was good, but was it better than it was? Can't put my finger on it, but then again I didn't give it a chance.

Valet - 5 years ago a valet driver curb rashed my wheels and claimed it was my fault. I've not used valet since then and I never will use valet. Granted this pisses off people in the car with me but I don't care.

Valet mode is super nerf mode. I put it in valet mode at a light and then floored it........ and..... 0-60 in like 15 seconds. Lol. Felt like I was driving an '81 Yugo.
Perhaps the hazard lights should be enabled for valet mode as well. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

If it could be enabled/disabled while in motion I would definitely use it for what I would guess would be a decent driving style efficiency boost. But you have to be in park to toggle it. There also doesn't seem to be a way to change the PIN once it's set the first time?
Thanks for sharing this tidbit!

Please do some more testing (wk and others). I'd like to get a confirm on whether that's the case. If so, it seems any owner that ever drives with a passenger should probably set up a PIN before a "funny" friend decides to pick a PIN for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you guys both miss the part of the release notes that said that "Cruise Control / Traffic-Aware Cruise Control Is Disabled" (in Valet mode)?

If not, just what are you referring to?
Yes, missed it the first time.

- - - Updated - - -

The release notes seem to indicate that the Trip Planner --will-- route you through Superchargers if your route requires charging, without giving you any other choices.
My recollection of Elon's (scribed in blogs...) commentary was that anywhere you've previously charged is also considered in the route planning.

- - - Updated - - -

P85+ with autopilot.
Tangent: This is a pretty rare configuration, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I can be reset by entering the MyTesla credentials, which I'm assuming will clear the PIN and request to set it again next time Valet mode is selected:
View attachment 76495
Excellent. Thanks for the image.