Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 6.2 last night.

- noted that the radio starts in mute mode every time it is off for a while. Strange new "feature" that I don't particularly like.

- I agree with others on this thread... The blind spot is not particularly useful or well done. My wife's MBZ has a much better solution. Alerts when directional signal turned on with a car in blind spot. Very visible note that there is someone there before directionals on...

If you're going to need to stop and charge for a while at some other charger, wouldn't you normally set the nav to bring you to the charger anyway, instead of your final destination? I imagine that's what Tesla expected. Whole trip planning doesn't work with random chargers, because there is too much variability in how long you are going to need to charge.

What I'd like to be able to do is use the trip planner to see how I'm doing energy-wise with my true destination as the end-point, since it may be doable. It's enough of a stretch that I wouldn't expect Tesla to say "sure, go for it, no charging needed." And I'm not crazy cowboy enough to just go for it with no back up, and no fall-back position. But let me put in the destination, start driving, see what the trip planner system tells me my chances are, see what happens if I speed up, slow down, etc., etc. As the trip progresses, and I see how I'm doing I can decide whether or not I need to make a stop or not.

If I have to just route myself to a charger, I really can't do any of that.

Got my 6.2, in Canada, the planning looks good for Supercharger based, but if I had it before my trip to Ottawa last week it would not help, since it would not know how much running around I would do after leaving the Kingston supercharger, sure I would make it to my destination, but then what, no way to get back to the supercharger again without a local charge (thanks Doug btw).

I got a new update notification too and kicked the install off 20 min ago. I suspect it's a re-push of the original 6.2 given the troubles I've had with the install yesterday as posted upthread - the TMC-forum-watching guardian angels (Hi!!) must have taken note of my plight :)

Yup, 6.2 (2.4.124) got pushed to me again this evening - Was that automatic given the partial failure last night? Or, was there some invisible hand involved? I wonder... (I didn't contact Service about the issues) - and this time, it was applied smoothly. No issues and warnings after. Phew!

Yup, 6.2 (2.4.124) got pushed to me again this evening - Was that automatic given the partial failure last night? Or, was there some invisible hand involved? I wonder... (I didn't contact Service about the issues) - and this time, it was applied smoothly. No issues and warnings after. Phew!

After a couple people visiting the Service Centers from the last round of failed firmware applications (some giving alerts, some not but giving weird behavior), I would not be surprised if Tesla added in an automatic "phone home for reapply request" if anything fails validation.

I got 6.2 this afternoon. I said "update successful" but then I got the driver assist disabled thing immediately. I started driving anyway. At one point it was complaining that the forward camera view was obstructed, which of course, it wasn't. Fortunately, the warning went away after a few minutes driving and cruise control resumed working normally. This is no big deal for those of us used to computers doing odd things but is definitely NOT what one expects from a car.

I agree with the others here who find the new blind spot warnings useless. I also expect its performance will improve, probably significantly, in the near future. And I expect the current arcs on the speedo are just a quick hack that will go away with the new UI in 7.0.

I also found TACC to be smoother and much more pleasant to live with. One more round of tweaking and it will be as good as an attentive human driver. Even as it is now I find it a huge advantage when in slow traffic. It eliminates for the most part the constant stress of dealing with slow traffic.

But the new supercharger navigation thing needs some work (in addition to the obvious things that have been mentioned here for months like intermediate waypoints.) I live in Redwood City, just south of San Francisco. I asked it to make a route to Lee Vining CA, which is on the other side of the Sierras, much too far on a single charge. There are a lot of superchargers around here so there are several possible routes. All involve going north toward Sacramento to pick up a charge, across the mountains near Lake Tahoe and then back south (the more direct routes across the mountains are closed until summer). But Tesla's Nav said to charge in Manteca (east of here on the way to Sacramento) but then gave up and said I would not have enough charge to make it to Lee Vining. It completely forgot about the chargers in Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. But strangely, when I asked it to route me to Bridgeport CA, which is just a few miles north of Lee Vining it found a perfectly good route (with a charge near Sacramento). I've never had any trouble computing my own routes so I guess I'll continue to do so :)

It seems like Valet mode should disable the Factory Reset function. The button is not disabled but I was afraid to actually try it.

The release notes say that Valet mode can be controlled via iPhone app but I can't find any way to do that. Maybe there's an update coming?

Got my update installed yesterday. A few things to add to the discussion:

1. I don't remember reading this as a new feature, but when you plug into a supercharger, the dash shows "supercharging" and "x Minutes remaining" now. Hope they update the mobile apps soon.

2. The blind spot detection definitely leaves something to be desired:
2a. It is barely visible when you need it... if you are changing lanes without looking (where you might be facing forward and able to see the dash instead) you shouldn't be driving a Tesla. If you ARE looking, you won't see the indicators.
2b. When driving along on the highway, I passed a ~42' semi... the blind spot indicator came on, then off, then on again.... for a contiguous vehicle less than 2 feet away? Hmmm...
2c. When you exceed 85 MPH, you get the popup "blind spot detection disabled blah blah" TL; DR at 90 MPH. The only message worth reading at that speed is "engine on fire" or "state/county department of highway robbery mobile post in median ahead*"

* A proposed future improvement in a Internet enabled social media world

I posted early this morning about what I thought could very well be a change to the way the pack is being heated in 6.2:

Well, I can't say any more about the change above, but I drove the car this evening and I noticed another change. It's not inconsistent with the one above.

My wife had returned home from work and her hour drive with the Tesla, so the pack was good and warm. The car sat around for about 45 minutes, and then I took it on a very short trip, where I then let it sit in the cold for close to two hours. The temperature was probably about 35 degrees F, give or take. I didn't preheat the car, and when I started on my very short (5-7 minute) drive back home the regen bar was at about 15. I had range mode on, so I would have expected it to stay there for my entire trip home. Well, I'm not sure at what point it happened, but at some point before I got home the regen line disappeared entirely!

Assuming my car is not malfunctioning, and somehow pack heating and regen changes have been incorporated into 6.2, I'm really not sure how to explain that. Clearly the pack could not have been heated significantly in the very short time I was driving. I know people here have talked about Tesla learning things about the batteries' real capabilities with respect to supercharging and the taper, and how perhaps Tesla could now be somewhat more aggressive. I wonder if perhaps Tesla has decided that for short bursts of regen, the pack can accept that kind of charge while at lower temperatures, without damage, and has modified the regen limits and associated pack temperatures accordingly. If so, that would also explain what I saw this morning, (although that could also be explained by having heated the pack to a higher temperature while on shore power.)

I'll be driving the car tomorrow, and will not have charged it immediately before. It will have been on shore power. I'll preheat the cabin for a while first, as I always do, and see how my regen tomorrow compares with what it has been in the past.

I'd be interested in hearing if others are seeing changes consistent with what I'm seeing.

I think I expressed this elsewhere (maybe in this thread), I believe something has changed wrt battery heating and regen restriction. I still haven't been able to do anything scientific but at a high level, the regen limit seemed to be on more often than not and even after underground parking was sometimes still on. Since 6.1....200 it seems that I have never seen regen limiting. The temperature has warmed up a bit so I can't categorically state this improvement until the temperature goes down again but I feel that I was seeing more regen limitation before even at these temperatures.

I think I expressed this elsewhere (maybe in this thread), I believe something has changed wrt battery heating and regen restriction. I still haven't been able to do anything scientific but at a high level, the regen limit seemed to be on more often than not and even after underground parking was sometimes still on. Since 6.1....200 it seems that I have never seen regen limiting. The temperature has warmed up a bit so I can't categorically state this improvement until the temperature goes down again but I feel that I was seeing more regen limitation before even at these temperatures.
I'm on 6.2 and got the battery limit yesterday morning (it was 42F / 5C and the car was parked outside over night). The limit disappeared within about 5 minutes of driving. This was MUCH quicker than on 6.0/6.1 when the car (this one or the previous one) was parked outside in about 40F.

I am of the opinion that:

1) 85D range may have been somewhat improved. My normal morning commute was pretty steady at 360Wh/mi, but for the past two days on 6.2 it has been in the low-mid 340s.

2) Energy -> Trip - predictions seem very real...perhaps even historical? On 6.1, I would always come in a half inch or more higher than the prediction for any trip. As you can see in this morning's example, closely mirrored by yesterday's, that the prediction and actual was pretty much right on.

TRIP.jpg

I think I expressed this elsewhere (maybe in this thread), I believe something has changed wrt battery heating and regen restriction.

I remember you had written something after you had received version .200 at the SC. But then it was after that you were asking about the regen limit lasting for a while, so I thought perhaps you were just discovering things were working pretty much normally.

I'm on 6.2 and got the battery limit yesterday morning (it was 42F / 5C and the car was parked outside over night). The limit disappeared within about 5 minutes of driving. This was MUCH quicker than on 6.0/6.1 when the car (this one or the previous one) was parked outside in about 40F.

OK, good.

So if this is really happening, we know Tesla can't actually be heating the pack much more quickly. That wouldn't be physically possible. So it must mean that Tesla has decided that the pack can accept some charging, from regen, at lower temperatures than what they were allowing the pack to charge at in the past. This makes me wonder what else Tesla may have decided the pack can handle. Also, if it is a lot of this "pushing the pack farther and harder" that is generally what Musk was referring to in his statement in February about the "upcoming firmware upgrade that was going to positively impact the entire fleet."

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This (pushing the limits of the battery farther because of what they have learned) would seem to fit the bill.

Last edited:
My local service center called me back after I asked what the weird "charge port lever" message meant. Apparently there's a manual charge cable release lever you can get to inside the car, and for whatever reason the car thought mine was in the wrong position. They said if it happens again, they'll replace the charge port.

My local service center called me back after I asked what the weird "charge port lever" message meant. Apparently there's a manual charge cable release lever you can get to inside the car, and for whatever reason the car thought mine was in the wrong position. They said if it happens again, they'll replace the charge port.
That is interesting! In the very early days of post-Model S release there were a couple cases of people who's charge cable became locked in the charge port rendering the vehicle undriveable and it took a major, on site, demolition to get the cable released. It seems that Tesla quietly installed a safety release to avoid the complexities. May have to dig around to see if that release lever is something customer accessible.

Those of us who share the car with other drivers and/or with a rambunctious 10-year old boy who enjoys cranking the sound to max after everyone else has exited the car, then leaving the sound set high deliberately so that the next person to enter the car will be blasted -- we will appreciate the radio starting in mute mode.

Or an alternate feature that Tases 10-year old boys when they leave the sound set to max. Or just at random -- that'd be fine, too. I love my son, and suspect I'd love him even more wrapped in duct tape.

- noted that the radio starts in mute mode every time it is off for a while. Strange new "feature" that I don't particularly like.