Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd share what the manual says about how blind spot works... Sorry don't know how to make the photos smaller.

(partial transcription of release notes)
Limitations and Innacuracies
Blind Spot Warning may not provide warnings, or may apply inappropriate warnings in these situations:
- (dirty)
- (weather)
- The sensors are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.
- (obstruction)

The way that bolded item is worded would seem to imply that if two Model S are driving side-by-side, they may interfere with eachother. Does anybody else agree with that interpretation? Can anybody with two autopilot equipped cars test this? Just curious.

Updated to 6.2 last night.

- noted that the radio starts in mute mode every time it is off for a while. Strange new "feature" that I don't particularly like.

That's better than currently. Right now even if I pause slacker before leaving the car the music seems to start as soon as I open a door, before I even get in. Personally I much prefer to always choose when to have the music start.

This is a recent addition to Model S. As efusco pointed out, previously it was a fairly major ordeal to get a charge cable locked into the charge port out. On my P85D there is an access port in the carpet directly behind the charge port (about 3" x 6" access cover). Behind it you can get to the back of the charge port where there is a lever that is supposed to manually release the cable.

In my mid 2013 P85+ there is also a manual release lever.
However it looks quite different, probably due to the EU charge plug being different to the US version:

Attachments

• EU charge cable release lever.jpg
    EU charge cable release lever.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 592
Interesting comment over in the Canadian subforum (Anyone in Canada receive the new 6.2 update yet? - Page 2) where one user states that 6.2 significantly improved supercharge times.

That would be consistent with what I was suggesting here:

So if this is really happening, we know Tesla can't actually be heating the pack much more quickly. That wouldn't be physically possible. So it must mean that Tesla has decided that the pack can accept some charging, from regen, at lower temperatures than what they were allowing the pack to charge at in the past. This makes me wonder what else Tesla may have decided the pack can handle. Also, if it is a lot of this "pushing the pack farther and harder" that is generally what Musk was referring to in his statement in February about the "upcoming firmware upgrade that was going to positively impact the entire fleet."

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This (pushing the limits of the battery farther because of what they have learned) would seem to fit the bill.

The way that bolded item is worded would seem to imply that if two Model S are driving side-by-side, they may interfere with eachother. Does anybody else agree with that interpretation? Can anybody with two autopilot equipped cars test this? Just curious.

OR a whole bunch of other things. On my prior car (Jag XF), I had problem where coolant level warning would chronically go on, even though coolant was fine. They replaced everything from sensors to tank to computer "head unit". Didn't solve. I was able to isolate it to this: only happened when I was in close proximity to a large cell tower. With 100% correlation. They never believed me, but I'm sure it was the cause. And I think as our cars get more and more sensors, they will be more susceptible to haunting by "ghosts" from the electronic ether. Say, that's going to be the name for my next band! "Ghosts from the Electronic Ether"

The HPWC issue with it limiting to 79A appears to be resolved as well (time will tell though).

I noticed yesterday that with the new software, the car seemed to be properly recognizing the 80 amp pilot signal from one of my two HPWCs. Today I tried briefly charging at 80 amps at the other one and it worked, with the actual charging amperage varying between 79 and 80 amps. So it definitely looks to me as if this has been corrected in 6.2

We are seeing bizarre Nav routings to a location that worked very well using 6.1 the day before. Instead of 3101 W Warren it took me to 999 E Warren. Starting over on E Warren, searching for the hotel gave the correct address (3101 W Warren) but the nav took me up the 880 for an exit or two before looping back. I didn't follow the directions but just drove west on E Warren until it changed to W Warren.

Andy,

I think that I can concur that something has changed with shore power with 6.2. This morning I had my car plugged in and on range mode in the garage. It was about 23 degrees outside and the car finished charging at 5:47am. I didn't leave the house until around 8:10 and I had no regen limit. This has never happened before even when I would preheat the car. Today, I didn't preheat it.

Interesting! Thanks for the report.

As for me, I saw a much less dramatic change today than yesterday.

The car had completed its charge by about 5:30 AM, and I didn't drive it until about 3:00 PM. I had started preheating it at about 2:15 PM, on shore power, with range mode off, with the temperature in the 30s. When I left regen was at about 30, which is about what I would have expected it to be at in previous versions of the firmware based on the conditions and the preheating. Unlike my short drive last night, when the regen limit disappeared immediately, on today's drive the regen limit may have moved up and eventually gone away a little faster than before, but if so, the change was not in any way drastic. I was on the phone some, so can't give exact numbers, but 10 or 15 minutes into my trip the regen limit was only up to 40 or so, and I think it must have been close to 25 or 30 minutes before the regen limit was gone completely. The temperature was 38-40F as I was driving.

We are seeing bizarre Nav routings to a location that worked very well using 6.1 the day before. Instead of 3101 W Warren it took me to 999 E Warren. Starting over on E Warren, searching for the hotel gave the correct address (3101 W Warren) but the nav took me up the 880 for an exit or two before looping back. I didn't follow the directions but just drove west on E Warren until it changed to W Warren.

I have similar issue introduced in 6.1 (200), that continues in 6.2 (unsurprising consider only a few days between).
After 200 was installed by SC, navigation "moved" my home location (incl hwpc location) from pl SE address to pl NE address. Noticed pretty quickly as these addresses are 1.1 miles apart.
After making "note" to TM, I corrected by deleting home place and charger location then searching manually to correct.
After OTA update to 6.2, exactly the same thing happened with home being "moved". One again, worked around after recording verbal note to TM.
Does make me wonder if anyone at TM files bugs from these notes?

I'm a little bummed that trip planner only does one-way trips. We're guaranteed enough charge to reach our destination, but not enough to get back. On trips where there is no charging at the destination, this is something we'll have to plan around manually.

I don't understand the need for round-trip routing. When you get to your destination, when you navigate on the return trip you will be routed through the same superchargers as before and based upon your current SOC. Obviously if you are traveling where you require more than one Supercharger stop in one direction, there is no way to have sufficient charge for a round trip. It's kind of redundant, isn't it?

I've just received and installed the new firmware 6.4.1 today, April 1st.

I'm truly delighted to share how totally awesome and valuable I find its new "ticket avoidance mode" that I unexpectedly discovered! Once again, Tesla proves that it rocks with its superior innovations that drive us Model S owners forwards into the land of the nearly unbelievable!! Why has nobody on this thread yet discussed their own experience and opinion of this seriously improbable new feature?

Here are the details, direct from the Tesla team itself: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153168166852801&fref=nf
TeslaTicketAvoidanceMode.gif

Something inside is telling me that the mothership is already set to resend me the new firmware upgrade tonight, I think because my new firmware version number isn't quite what I was expecting.

Last edited:
I don't understand the need for round-trip routing. When you get to your destination, when you navigate on the return trip you will be routed through the same superchargers as before and based upon your current SOC. Obviously if you are traveling where you require more than one Supercharger stop in one direction, there is no way to have sufficient charge for a round trip. It's kind of redundant, isn't it?

No because you can have a trip that doesn't work in reverse. For instance, if the last leg of your trip is 150 miles from the Supercharger, you don't have enough range to get back to that Supercharger to get back home. There are also less extreme cases where the trip is possible, but the Tesla's charging guidance won't be long enough for your round trip needs.

Obviously with proper planning this is mitigable, but given how spotty destination charging is in 2015, this seems like something that should be baked into the product.

I made the mistake of enabling it to show my wife. I think now she may insist on my using valet mode when she is in the car. That car is too damn peppy for her. Just for the record, I've never done a launch with her in the car but even if I overtake with forceful pedal she audibly gasps.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is afraid of my wife finding out exactly how fast the shiny new family car accelerates. Ironically, she LOVES roller coasters...

No because you can have a trip that doesn't work in reverse. For instance, if the last leg of your trip is 150 miles from the Supercharger, you don't have enough range to get back to that Supercharger to get back home. There are also less extreme cases where the trip is possible, but the Tesla's charging guidance won't be long enough for your round trip needs.

Obviously with proper planning this is mitigable, but given how spotty destination charging is in 2015, this seems like something that should be baked into the product.

I agree with this. I got into a sticky situation while down in Big Bend a few months ago. Ended up okay but was pretty annoying.