Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the overall look, but non of the apps on the main 17" screen look updated at all. And although the dash looks nice, I wish the energy meter can be viewed without dedicated the entire side of the display to "Energy". I like to see "Trip" and "Media" at the same time on the dash, but I need the energy meter at all times.

The energy consumption graph has always taken 1/2 the screen. Are you talking about the kw usage thing around the energy graph?

OK.

I don't want to over-react. Really, I don't.

But that looks ****ing awful. I mean, really, really dumb. Why do I want a giant glowing picture of my car front and center in the display at all times?! WHY WOULD I WANT THAT? I provides no useful information. I remember what color my car is. I can tell the headlights are on because I can see the light in front of the car...and because there is ALSO a green "your headlights are on" indicator which as been retained in the upper left corner. All it does is waste space.

An analog clock? Really? And the only way I get the temp display is if I have that giant thing taking up half the display?

Oy. I can only hope I'm one of the last to get the update. Maybe I'll have sold/returned the car by then.

I couldn't disagree with you more... I LOVE this new interface...

No matter what Tesla does, they can't win with this. :p

Jeff

There are 2 people who posted pics, I assumed they were different people.

Firmware 7.0 - Page 4
and
Auto pilot beta testing out - Page 5

Different people posting the pictures, but clearly both from the same source -- the Tesla Owners Club Norway FB group. As best I can tell with google translate, no one other than the original guy is reporting getting the update. He's kinda funny he said he usually seems to get updates one or two months after everyone else, so he has no explanation for it.

Different people posting the pictures, but clearly both from the same source -- the Tesla Owners Club Norway FB group. As best I can tell with google translate, no one other than the original guy is reporting getting the update. He's kinda funny he said he usually seems to get updates one or two months after everyone else, so he has no explanation for it.

Ah, gotchya. So I guess it is only 1 person... maybe a fluke then.

OK.

I don't want to over-react. Really, I don't.

But that looks ****ing awful. I mean, really, really dumb. Why do I want a giant glowing picture of my car front and center in the display at all times?! WHY WOULD I WANT THAT? I provides no useful information. I remember what color my car is. I can tell the headlights are on because I can see the light in front of the car...and because there is ALSO a green "your headlights are on" indicator which as been retained in the upper left corner. All it does is waste space.

An analog clock? Really? And the only way I get the temp display is if I have that giant thing taking up half the display?

Oy. I can only hope I'm one of the last to get the update. Maybe I'll have sold/returned the car by then.

I agree completely. I'm just hoping this is a really early version of the UI, and not what we all should expect.

I would expect them to have a lot more fanfare surrounding the widespread release given how much this has been hyped, so this is probably a fluke, but I'm convinced it is genuine. No two people ever agree on UI stuff, but I think the new design is a big upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

In the original autopilot demo, that space was used to show other cars around you, graphically represented as blind spot warning and so on. I'd agree with you that it doesn't make sense in a non-AP car. Its quite possible that this version was pushed to his car by mistake and was specific to AP cars and that a non-AP dash will not look like this.

It's wonderful! It's awful! It's a triumph! It's a tragedy! :rolleyes::cursing: At first glance, I think the car image is odd. It's a lot of screen real estate to use up if you aren't using autopilot. I do kind of like the simplicity of the graphics, but I will hold my final judgement until I see it on my own car. I would also like to see it in the daylight, to see how or if it changes to a white background.

The car in this post:
Firmware 7.0

and this post:
Firmware 7.0 - Page 4

Appear to be different.

The lack of release notes on his build is telling. That alone tells me he's got an early release. While Tesla doesn't do a good job of updating them, they don't return a blank page! (What the guy in Norway is getting)

This looks amazing IMO. It looks much simpler and much more elegant. Also, people are always wondering when their regen lights are on, so this gives them the image. Would you rather prefer the dial that just repeats the number that the digital display reads out to you? To each their own i guess

Someone in one of my closed Facebook groups just posted a new set of pictures as well. He appears to be in California and his pictures are different. I guess its not just a one-off. I asked him if I have his permission to post here.

I found the source of the white car picture too. He is seemingly also from Denmark. His car is auto-pilot and he says the following:
Here is the dash when parked. When driving the lanes show up and other car avatars are showing. Also I get white, yellow and red shadows of cars I pass or that are passing me.

Correction: He later posted he is Danish, but lives in San Francisco. That is two California-based people reporting release of 7.0 -- He also said he got the download Wednesday, but didn't realize it was a big deal. LOL. I guess there are some people who aren't quite as obsessed as us.

Last edited:
Someone in one of my closed Facebook groups just posted a new set of pictures as well. He appears to be in California and his pictures are different. I guess its not just a one-off. I asked him if I have his permission to post here.

Saw this,

its possible 7.0 Release notes will be uploaded as a website later, and 7.0 is indeed rolling out.

I'm thinking rollout probably next week.