Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crosspost from the "lane keeping still not available X months after delivery" thread:

Model X design opened for sig reservation holders today.
One of the standard features listed is "Autopilot Convenience Features with self-parking and automatic lane steering".
Could this mean 7.0 (or whatever release includes lane keeping) will be made available when Model X is delivered?

model-x-standard-ewuipe-and-sig.jpg

I think we're still months away from these new, designable Xs being in the hands of new owners.

I don't think so. Call me optimistic, but the latest newsletter from Tesla that was emailed en masse just yesterday states that they are "on track for first deliveries in late Q3 of this year". Late Q3 is this very month of September, so any time in the next 30 days still qualifies as "late Q3".

I'm well aware of "Tesla time", but I still believe they can deliver if but a few Model X sig models (which are pretty standardized in options as it is) in the next 30 days. Not months away.

Heh. MAN I'd like to see that, as I have several family members that are in line. But given the delays of 7, and the fact that they are claiming 7 will be in the X ...

Well, perhaps this is all correct. If Xs hit the streets in late Q3 then perhaps 7 will as well, and yeah, we're within the 30 day glide path of that ... so maybe...? ::crosses fingers::

I'd definitely be happy to see them delay 7.0 and come out with a better UI.

They've delayed enough. They're in trouble if they delay more (angry people waiting for autopilot.........) and in trouble if they release with the UI that some people dislike. I think I'd go for the latter and fix the UI as we go.

I don't think so. Call me optimistic, but the latest newsletter from Tesla that was emailed en masse just yesterday states that they are "on track for first deliveries in late Q3 of this year". Late Q3 is this very month of September, so any time in the next 30 days still qualifies as "late Q3".

I'm well aware of "Tesla time", but I still believe they can deliver if but a few Model X sig models (which are pretty standardized in options as it is) in the next 30 days. Not months away.

Deliveries, yes but they did not say who to. Could just be founder deliveries and they would still be technically correct...

They've delayed enough. They're in trouble if they delay more (angry people waiting for autopilot.........) and in trouble if they release with the UI that some people dislike. I think I'd go for the latter and fix the UI as we go.
Releasing the awful, worse-than-6.2-firmware beta version of 7.0 onto the numerous no-autopilot-hardware Model Ses which have *perfectly good firmware right now* would be an awful mistake.

Releasing it on new Model Xes would be... understandable, although it would still be a mistake which would need to be fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if said software dev thought that that was the take away regarding power meter then they really missed the point (IMO). Not gonna do a rehash of the debate here, but the issue is not that it can't be switched back on, it's that it forces us to give up half the IC to display something that used to be default.

Exactly. Furthermore, it relocates it to a distracting section of the screen next to the wiggling energy graph.

The power meter belongs right. where. it. is. now. on version 6.2. I use it whenever I'm on slippery ground to make sure I don't lose traction by putting in too much acceleration or braking.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the v7 media screen shared by a Tesla employee in one of the FB groups.
As you can see, his HVAC is running and no information/feedback is provided. And it took Tesla, what, almost a year to come up with this?

Oh my god. This is another regression. The current HVAC gives a lot of visual veedback and I use that feedback *all the time*.

Tesla, you do not remove information which was previously being reported from cars which have already been shipped. That constitutes "making the car worse after delivery". DO NOT DO IT.

So you're good with further delays if they decide to rework the UI based on feedback from this forum? Or would you rather it be released & let people provide feedback for future releases?

Absolutely delay it in order to fix the obvious design flaws. Specifically, the information which is currently permanently available (power meter, status of HVAC, 'status line' date and time, etc.) and visible when driving needs to be present in the same visual locations where it was before. I suppose it's OK if it can be turned off in options, but for those of us who have gotten used to it, we have to be able to keep looking at it right where it is.

I do not want to be driving a car with *worse* UI than the car I bought. Frankly, I'd consider that to be a defect created by Tesla Service which they would be obligated to repair under warranty by reverting the software.

There seems to be no sanity in the removal of the data. I could restore all that data while keeping the new skin and the "toy car", trivially. Just put it back, please, Tesla. Don't be idiots. Please.

This isn't a toy; it's a car. Many of us evaluated the UI carefully before spending $80K+ on it. Downgrading the UI involuntarily is really unacceptable. Tesla needs to be very conservative about making UI changes to the car *after it's been sold*. Particularly the parts of the UI which are used while driving, when people must gather information in a split second while focusing on the road. The original UI was actually exceptionally well-designed, and it's a serious mistake to delete data from it.

- - - Updated - - -

At the Shareholders' mtg, Elon did say something to the effect of 'assuming the beta testing goes well', which I interpreted to mean 'if no major changes required'. (Of course, with all the complaining by people who haven't actually used it yet, maybe they have decided some major changes need to be made :).)

God I hope so. This is a "re-educate the guy in charge of the UI redesign" level of design failure, because they seem to have ignored basic principles for expensive, high-risk-usage scenario UIs like those in cars (or nuclear power plants for that matter :) )

Principle #1: if your old UI layout permanently displayed a piece of information in a particular place, YOU HAVE TO KEEP DISPLAYING THAT INFORMATION, and you should probably keep displaying it in the SAME PLACE.

You probably know that you're a less safe driver for the first month or so in a new car, mostly due to getting used to the core dashboard controls and layout. NOBODY wants that experience to suddenly happen to them in their OLD car at random due to the manufacturer issuing an "update". That's actually deeply unsafe.

Last edited:
Sorry, I do not agree with many of the posts here. I like the new UI and I'm looking forward to it along with the new autopilot features. If it's really a problem, I trust that Tesla will add the information in to other areas of the UI. They are customers of the product too and they can't please everyone all of the time.

Absolutely delay it in order to fix the obvious design flaws. Specifically, the information which is currently permanently available (power meter, status of HVAC, 'status line' date and time, etc.) and visible when driving needs to be present in the same visual locations where it was before. I suppose it's OK if it can be turned off in options, but for those of us who have gotten used to it, we have to be able to keep looking at it right where it is.

I do not want to be driving a car with *worse* UI than the car I bought.

Principle #1: if your old UI layout permanently displayed a piece of information in a particular place, YOU HAVE TO KEEP DISPLAYING THAT INFORMATION, and you should probably keep displaying it in the SAME PLACE.
Spot on. +1000
I find the pictures fun as "conceptual renderings of a design idea". I'd be very unhappy and would certainly be in communication with Tesla about remedies if this ended up in my car. They seem like a distinct step backwards.

Sorry, I do not agree with many of the posts here. I like the new UI and I'm looking forward to it along with the new autopilot features. If it's really a problem, I trust that Tesla will add the information in to other areas of the UI. They are customers of the product too and they can't please everyone all of the time.
I agree with you. As much as I'd like the clock on the instrument panel, I lobe everything else about the new UI.

I really do think the top priority should be "don't break things which are already working for people who already have their cars". (I'm still somewhat pissed about the introduction of random lowering of charging speed on perfectly good circuits based on a deranged algorithm; this caused one person to need to return his car and get a full refund, if I remember correctly, but it's caused trouble for a lot more of us. That was due to paranoia about fires -- which is more justifiable than breaking things because "we felt like a UI update".)

After "don't break things which are already working", frankly, I'm not too picky.

I really do think the top priority should be "don't break things which are already working for people who already have their cars". (I'm still somewhat pissed about the introduction of random lowering of charging speed on perfectly good circuits based on a deranged algorithm; this caused one person to need to return his car and get a full refund, if I remember correctly, but it's caused trouble for a lot more of us. That was due to paranoia about fires -- which is more justifiable than breaking things because "we felt like a UI update".)

After "don't break things which are already working", frankly, I'm not too picky.

There was a post by wk057 the other day in which he said that for the first time, after a recent firmware update (i'm not sure if it was to .36 or to .46) he saw the charging speed come back up after being lowered. I'll see if I can find the post and copy it here.

So, I've no idea when this was introduced, but I just witnessed my wife's P85 recovering automatically from the charge rate throttle issue after some time. (Based on external monitoring)

On-grid at the moment, and charging both Model S. At some point the P85 dropped back to 60A from 80A with the whole charge speed reduced nonsense for whatever reason (I've never been able to find a reason). I checked a little while later and it had recovered on it's own to 80A. I've never seen it do this before. Usually once it drops it never returns.

I still wish they'd add an option to just disable this "feature" at your own risk.