Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
windows 8
Lets remove the start button from windows (the most used button on a computer)
windows 8.1
Lets put the start button Back (but all it gets you to is the stupid metro screen)I call it the fake button.
windows 10
lets improve the start button that we put back in windows 8.1(mix of metro and other useless apps)
Tesla
Lets take away the instant power meter (the most important info on your display
Let the consumer decide what the UI should be, windows 8 disaster would never have happened .
I sure Hope Tesla reads these posts because this could turn in to Microsoft.

windows 8
Lets remove the start button from windows (the most used button on a computer)
windows 8.1
Lets put the start button Back (but all it gets you to is the stupid metro screen)I call it the fake button.
windows 10
lets improve the start button that we put back in windows 8.1(mix of metro and other useless apps)
Tesla
Lets take away the instant power meter (the most important info on your display
Let the consumer decide what the UI should be, windows 8 disaster would never have happened .
I sure Hope Tesla reads these posts because this could turn in to Microsoft.

Thats not a fair comparison.
The Tesla equivalent of taking the start button out would be taking the steering wheel out.
And to top it all, Microsoft insisted that nobody used the start button.

Hey Tesla engineers, if you're reading this - GOOD JOB ON THE UI. Get the functionality done, and release it. UI can be tweaked later too. You'll never please everyone! Just focus on pleasing me :), and I'm happy with the UI :)

If that's the case, then the feedback we are providing won't be incorporated. If it isn't, then our feedback might make a difference. Either way, there is no harm in providing the feedback. Tesla can take it or not. It's up to them. Why are you trying to silence people from expressing their opinions?

That seems like a really harsh and unfair characterization of folks who are trying to give constructive feedback. Just because you disagree means that others have a problem with change, really? How does that line of reasoning work?

Yes, we will all do that, but why should our ability to do that once the software rolls out negate our desire to provide opinions today based upon what we have seen? Multiple screen shots have been posted by multiple people, and the missing information we are talking about seems to be consistent across all of those screen shots. No sense in staying silent about things we see that are obvious omissions. Again, if Tesla has something else planned, then they can ignore this aspect of the feedback. But you shouldn't be advocating for people to stop discussing.

Folks are just providing feedback. You seem to be the only one who has decided anything, and you seem to want to decide for others.

Have you considered, then, that maybe some would like to save Tesla from suffering worldwide contempt? If you see that a train wreck is about to happen, do you try and stop the wreck or do you sit idly by hoping it won't happen?

To be honest, I find the only negativity in this thread coming from you. You seem more interested in picking apart other peoples' posts then you are in discussing the actual topic. If you don't agree with what someone said, maybe you should just move on instead of trying to pick arguments with those who have valuable contributions to make.

Bravo. Freedom of expression is what I like most!

Have you considered, then, that maybe some would like to save Tesla from suffering worldwide contempt?

Not anyone who's input so far has been, 'A fake analog clock, seriously?', 'I think it looks worse. I hope this is faked and not real.', ' But that looks ****ing awful. I mean, really, really dumb.', etc., etc...

- - - Updated - - -

@Krugerrand, I should know better than to mess with you ;) but, what's the harm in expressing opinions, negative (vehemently so) or positive? They are just opinions after all. It's impossible to please everyone, of course, particularly when it comes to any form of UI/UX but, if someone wants to vent, what's the harm?! :)

The harm is that the negativity gets toxic. But it's not that someone may not like the ie. clock design and says so, it's how it's said. It's also curious how one could be so judgmental and negative about something they've not seen and used firsthand and then claim they're 'trying to be helpful'. Doggy poo!

Not anyone who's input so far has been, 'A fake analog clock, seriously?', 'I think it looks worse. I hope this is faked and not real.', ' But that looks ****ing awful. I mean, really, really dumb.', etc., etc...

- - - Updated - - -

The harm is that the negativity gets toxic. But it's not that someone may not like the ie. clock design and says so, it's how it's said. It's also curious how one could be so judgmental and negative about something they've not seen and used firsthand and then claim they're 'trying to be helpful'. Doggy poo!

I am concerned that if I used less strident language the depth of my loathing for the changes might be overlooked. It might come across as a shallow pool of loathing, when in fact what we are dealing with is more like a Marianas Trench of loathing.

But that's just aesthetics, and as I said everyone has an opinion on those. Mine is no more or less valid than anyone's.

On the functionality, I stand by what I've said in the posts above. From what we can see so far, this seems like a step backward, for no apparent reason. But I will certainly concede that the final version released may be different.

Totally can see this:

NERD MODE
ON | OFF

It's entirely possible that Tesla is reacting to feedback from non-buyers that the UI is too busy or intimidating.

After all, there are far more non-buyers than buyers. If there are far more potential buyers who are non-buyers due to UI complexity, then that could be a driving force behind the 7.0 redesign.

Power users are always a minority of an audience. A very vocal--and often myopic--minority, but a minority nonetheless.

The possibility of a power user/ hyper-configurable mode versus a streamlined UI is best exemplified by the iOS versus android philosophies.

Nice, although the clock I don't understand... And with this design the charactristics of the car have changed a lot. Have to see it in action. Hopefully Rdio (Europe) music player is improved aswell. That more important for me... The improvements of the driving experience.

That clock is a design abomination. And don't take away my always present power meter, please. And can you explain why I need half my center screen taken up with an emoji of my car? The current user interface is a masterpiece of informative, intuitive design. It can and should be improved upon, but this is NOT it.

I've been looking forward to a UI update but if this is what we're getting, I surely hope one can opt for the classic interface.

It's entirely possible that Tesla is reacting to feedback from non-buyers that the UI is too busy or intimidating.

After all, there are far more non-buyers than buyers. If there are far more potential buyers who are non-buyers due to UI complexity, then that could be a driving force behind the 7.0 redesign.

Power users are always a minority of an audience. A very vocal--and often myopic--minority, but a minority nonetheless.

The possibility of a power user/ hyper-configurable mode versus a streamlined UI is best exemplified by the iOS versus android philosophies.
Unfortunately I think you're right. Version 7.0 isn't intended for us, it's intended for future mainstream buyers so the car looks more like a "regular" car that they're used to. Speedometers showing more than just speed and a battery level showing range might be too much of a change for some people. Maybe Tesla thinks the prominent range display increases "range anxiety" in the mainstream driver. If Tesla wants to downplay the electric part and emphasize the vehicle part of their EV, these changes make sense.

For those of us who focus on the "electric" in EV more than the vehicle, this dumbing down of the display is a big step in the wrong direction, but I understand why Tesla may be doing it.

These images are the same as the software during the D event except some background texture layers are now missing. During the D event Elon showed the software on the screen. It was also visible in test cars. This is the same software except some decoration. In terms of functionality, the leaked photos are exactly the same as the D event. In terms of aesthetics, the D event software was better. I disagree that flat design is better in this case.

In test ride videos when the driver disengages autopilot, the screen doesn't change. The toy car remains in the middle. Maybe Tesla should change that. It would be less terrible. In terms of user experience, removing functionality that exists is worse than not providing something.

I haven't enough bandwidth to read all the posts in this thread, so just one perspective:

Research upon research has incontrovertibly demonstrated* the analog clock face IS FAR MORE READILY understood by human brains - particularly when occupied by other tasks (like paying attention to the road) - than is a digital clock. I find that clock the most appealing part of the new rollout.

*on request. Or google it, any skeptics.

Unfortunately I think you're right. Version 7.0 isn't intended for us, it's intended for future mainstream buyers so the car looks more like a "regular" car that they're used to. Speedometers showing more than just speed and a battery level showing range might be too much of a change for some people. Maybe Tesla thinks the prominent range display increases "range anxiety" in the mainstream driver. If Tesla wants to downplay the electric part and emphasize the vehicle part of their EV, these changes make sense.

For those of us who focus on the "electric" in EV more than the vehicle, this dumbing down of the display is a big step in the wrong direction, but I understand why Tesla may be doing it.

Maybe the design process was something like this...:
-We need to clean up the UI to fit in the Autopilot display !
-OK, then we have to make space in the center, shrink the speedometer, but keep the circular feel..
-What about the powermeter ?
-Naaa.. it clutters the nice minimalistic feel of the speedometer ...hmmm
-How about using the nice round design of the new speedometer all over ?
-Yes ! We can put the powermeter as a nice round circle around the power usage graph !
- How about a ROUND clock to top i off ?
-Good idea ! Looks coool !
- Then we dont need the time and date display at the bottom do we ? It clutters the nice clean display.
-Yeah, good riddance !

That clock is a design abomination. And don't take away my always present power meter, please. And can you explain why I need half my center screen taken up with an emoji of my car? The current user interface is a masterpiece of informative, intuitive design. It can and should be improved upon, but this is NOT it.

I've been looking forward to a UI update but if this is what we're getting, I surely hope one can opt for the classic interface.
I like the analog clock which is much easier to read. Time, speed, power, regen are all analog values and they benefit from an analog display.

I like the clean simplicity of the new UI. It's much less cluttered. (I have shut off the side panels on my current display since I don't want lots of extraneous information nattering at me.) I don't want to watch the power and regen meters. I can feel the power and regen. They just clutter up the screen and are a distraction. I just need the speed.
I like the car display since it shows the surroundings much better than twisting my head all around.

If this is the new display. I vote YES!

I like the analog clock which is much easier to read. Time, speed, power, regen are all analog values and they benefit from an analog display.

I like the clean simplicity of the new UI. It's much less cluttered. (I have shut off the side panels on my current display since I don't want lots of extraneous information nattering at me.) I don't want to watch the power and regen meters. I can feel the power and regen. They just clutter up the screen and are a distraction. I just need the speed.
I like the car display since it shows the surroundings much better than twisting my head all around.

If this is the new display. I vote YES!
I think that the ease of reading analog vs digital presentations is largely a cultural thing. What you are used to.
The problem here is that a round analog clock takes up more real estate on the screen than a digital display, thus making it impossible to have the clock available all the time.
Nice that you are able to remove what you feel is distracting, wish I will be able to do the opposite. The regen meter is essential to balance the coasting and keeping track of momentary energy usage, like AC etc.
AND at this moment most of the cars have NOT the hw for autopilot and therefore the toy car is totally useless for us.

Speaking of analog clocks, don't forget that Teslatime's version has been around for awhile via a URL on the browser, thanks to Tesla Motors forum member Rumbles. I personally love it's design, both its "day" and "night" modes, and I believe it sets a high bar. I keep the browser pointed at this URL with the clock displayed in the lower half of the screen by default for everyday driving.

Oliver