Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The occasions when I need an odometer reading are when I am away from my car, like when insurance sends me an email asking for it... So of course the app shows range and not odometer!
The occasions when I need to know my range are typically when I'm in the car... So of course the odometer is front and center and the range harder to see!
Then there is inside temperature, only visible in the app...
Overall I like the visual refresh, just give me a half screen app on the main display and a tab in the app that shows me everything and I will be happy.

If by "climate status" you mean the outside air temperature, the answer is that it is still in the same location on the center display.
If you mean the tiny fan and recirc indicators on the HVAC tab at the bottom center of that display, they are not present in the US version of V7.

The latter, I was hoping they were brought back in .77. I frequently reference it to make sure I'm on recirc mode when driving behind polluting trucks. I consider this a high priority fix for 7.1.

My experience with 7.0 throttle response is quite the opposite. I find that the accelerator now requires less depression, it is more sensitive than before. Except at really slow speeds, which makes it smoother from a dead stop. However, when rolling, a gentle tap on the accelerator yields quite a neck snapping acceleration. The overall driving experience is superior on 7.0 IMO.

Do you have a classic or AP enabled MS?

Real estate on the 17" monitor is more valuable to me than on the dash.
You're going to hide nav/traffic info just to show the brake lights?

First off, why does anyone need to see their brake lights? Driven mine for 3 years and have never needed to see my brake lights. If regen > 30 kW, brake lights will be on. Simple. Don't get it.

Second off, that's not my solution. This is my solution:

Tesla should move the toy car to a "car status" app and thus make it optional for those who like it. This would clear the way for the battery gauge to move back to its rightful location on the dash.

First off, why does anyone need to see their brake lights? Driven mine for 3 years and have never needed to see my brake lights. If regen > 30 kW, brake lights will be on. Simple. Don't get it.
Notably, this is false (or at least was, I haven't tested again on V7), so I guess it's not so simple? There are definitely other factors involved, and acceleration/deceleration seems to be one. I've had my regen pegged at 60 kW on downhill sections with the brake lights off.

I only really care because you should not be flashing your brake lights on the highway unless you're actually stopping. If they're coming on often, you're actually putting yourself in danger because those behind you will start ignoring them. It's nice to see how much you can adjust your position in the seat/on the pedal without kicking on the lights.

I hate not being able to tell if you are in P R D Or N if parked and the wheel is turned slightly. Having to turn the wheel to verify it is going to go the way you want is technology backwards for sure.
Car is parked and I'm back to driving my truck until they figure out a large majority of changes are detrimental.
Moving valid information out of the way for cutesy cartoon car in the middle on a classic reduces safety.
An analog clock in a digital highly tech car is an improvement? What a joke.
Love the car, hate the stupid backwards technology of this version and now probably going to sell it. Never thought I would say that. They better get it together and at least give us a choice. I expect improvement not regression.
How hard could it be to allow customers to select placement of information from a selection of choices anyway? They do it for the left and right of speedo with app selection. Why not allow a drag and drop design on the main screen of personal preference and when design is finished apply the settings to the instrument display
Now that is forward technology!

Last edited:
Since leased Model S have mileage limits, the odometer in the center display helps remind drivers of their limits. It also could bring more vehicles into the Service Center for their 12,000 mile checkups.

Or the car could just pop up a reminder. Wouldn't that be a more thoughtful solution? Also, lease owners can receive a pop-up reminder as well when they exceed their daily average based upon the annual mileage limit.

I like to know when my brake lights go on -- it's a very good indication of how effectively I'm using regen and what people behind me are seeing when I use regen at various levels. For me it's an important safety indicator.

Also, I hate the the phrase "toy car" as it could be applied to any graphic representation of the car, including those on the control panel. There are what, 5 of those graphic representaions on various screens? How about car "icon or profile"