Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is version 2.7.56. I also used during the morning commute and also have the hold steering wheel message. For me if I didn't have my hands on the steering wheel after a couple of minutes a little flag would pop up from the bottom and tell me to "hold steering wheel." It is not the same as the red flag that say "take over steering immediately." It is a little flag with blue letters. If you hold the wheel for a few seconds it goes away quickly. If you ignore after a brief period a tone begins to sound. When you wait for the tone it seems you have to wait for a longer period for the "hold steering wheel" to go away.

Could there be different flavours of Autopilot??

You set Cruise to be same as speed limit by pulling Cruise Control wand and holding. However, if speed limit changes, cruise speed does not change. I would like cruise speed to adjust with speed limit. Has this been addressed in 7?

Many people have mentioned this. However, I remember when the speed limit reading feature was first introduced, there were a number of posts by people pointing out situations where it had misread speed limit signs, or cases where similar systems had misread speed limit signs, or the potential for not-very-funny (fatal?) pranks where someone with a spray can or sharpie changes a "35" sign to an "85" sign. I, too, would like it if the speed limit was auto-adjusted for me, but first I'd want to know with confidence that these scenarios had been addressed. (Limiting the maximum amount the system can change the speed limit autonomously superficially seems like an okay solution, but it also limits the usefulness of the feature.)

There is also the limitation that the car currently only updates the speed limit as it passes the speed limit sign post. I, like many people, often speed up when I first sight the increased speed limit, and I almost always begin to slow down when I first sight the decreased speed limit, having had one too many bad experiences with speed traps.

Having been around the block with it once (literally, around the block) here is my capsule review:

I hate hate hate hate the new, tiny, not-vertically-centered digital-only speedometer. Why not just remove the speedo altogether? Maybe they're saving that for 7.1. Other than that, seems OK.

If anyone was still wondering, the new layout is imposed even when TACC is not engaged.

PS: I hate the new speedo. Did I mention?

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who is irritated by the speedometer change. Annoyed to see that you're just about the only person who has complained about it.
Yes, I actually do want a somewhat-analog indicator of my current speed. Just about every other car has some form of this, regardless of dash design.
Also, I just realized that putting the indicator so high up actually causes it to get potentially blocked by the steering wheel, depending on seat/wheel positioning.

Also, I just realized that putting the indicator so high up actually causes it to get potentially blocked by the steering wheel, depending on seat/wheel positioning.

Yes, exactly. I hadn't even realized with the old layout that my steering wheel slightly occluded the top of the instrument panel. It didn't matter because it wasn't getting in the way of anything important, but now it's problematic.

Just took Autopilot for a spin on I-64. Other than a tendency to want to pull into exit lanes and then over-correct, it works. There may have been some maniacal laughter the first time the car drove itself around a curve. It's almost creepy since it's so far out of the normal driving experience.

The lane stripes were hit-or-miss on some sections of that drive. The sensor-fusion display in the instrument cluster does a good job of subconsciously cueing you to be ready to take over since the blue lines will diminish in length according to how far away the car has been able to compute the lane.

One note about automatic lane changes is that if you don't push the turn stalk past the detent, you need to hold it until the car has passed over the lane marker into the next lane or it'll jump back into the center of the lane you were trying to change out of.

So today I tried to use the Autopilot on the blue route in the image. Bottom line, it's not really suited for these roads, and was confused by left turn lanes in combination with sweeping corners. In one instance, it jerked over to the right lane, then back to the left lane for no reason. Luckily, I only had one car in front of me. On the plus side, it did slow down for tighter turns, although too late and too abruptly, and not steering smoothly. On the switchbacks on the right, i stopped it as I was not confident it would make the very tight turns.

Having said all that, and knowing it wasn't designed for those kinds of roads, it worked flawlessly on the freeway to my office. Lane changes worked great, and lane holding was much smoother, even at above speed limit.

View attachment 98002

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
+1 - Speed is not fully visible with my seating position. The lane keeping is quite impressive.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who is irritated by the speedometer change. Annoyed to see that you're just about the only person who has complained about it.
Yes, I actually do want a somewhat-analog indicator of my current speed. Just about every other car has some form of this, regardless of dash design.

In the original video, Marc complains about the turn signal stalk action. The quick blip didn't activate lane change and pushing the stalk past the detent required him to turn it off after the lane change is complete. If you hold the stalk partially down so that it continues blinking, the lane change will activate and you can release it once the manuever is complete. The only catch is that if you let go too early it might get confused and go back to the original lane.

Turns out you can run around and do errands during the preliminary stages of the update, you just don't have access to anything on the center console (you can adjust some things like climate temperature using the scroll wheel selector). But once you park somewhere and actual updating stage begins you will be stuck there until the update finishes.

In the original video, Marc complains about the turn signal stalk action. The quick blip didn't activate lane change and pushing the stalk past the detent required him to turn it off after the lane change is complete. If you hold the stalk partially down so that it continues blinking, the lane change will activate and you can release it once the manuever is complete. The only catch is that if you let go too early it might get confused and go back to the original lane.

Agreed. I learned that the hard way, the driver in the other lane probably thought I was drunk.

Installed. First impressions. Awesome. Auto-steer significantly better than I had feared given all the concerns listed previously.

tested on freeway, single-lane roads, dual-lane roads. Dual-lane with roadworks

only needed to take control twice:
1) Approaching traffic island (roundabout), it got confused and was going to drive over curb to the right. Fully expected and quick grab back of the wheel required. No warning though. Reinforces the driver is smarter
2) sharp, curvy, road up a hill. Tried repro on this a few times - appears to be worse on sharp right turn going over crest of hill.

I was amazed it worked as well as it did as I was purposely pushing the edge of the envelope.

Some additional notes:
a) Max batter power is now available on p85d, same label as p90d (under insane/sport switch)
b) there's a reset tire pressure sensor to complement the exposure of pressure sensors. Interestingly, the build in sensors appear more consistent and accurate than Fobo... Taking that off now :)
c) The interface is different. Perfectly acceptable, though understand the need for 7.1. I hope it's not too late for feedback to be received. My #1 is representing real-time energy use and regen.

it's been a long year since the promise of autopilot pushed me to the p85d and a long wait with it "coming soon", this is worth the wait

Great stuff, thank you and well done Tesla!

EDIT: Forgot to mention the user manual is updated to include better instructions on new features, incl. autopark limitations and use case, etc. (Hadn't seen this mentioned elsewhere, though fully admit I'm not keeping up with the deluge :))

Last edited: