Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 73 reports on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, here are some results for today's 7.0 push:

• 73 total reports
  • 71 over WiFi
  • 2 over 3G
  • With the correction of what seems to be a data entry error, all updates have been to autopilot capable cars.

It seems that the priority is to autopilot capable cars connected via WiFi...

For those that have done the upgrade to 7.0, but have not reported at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, I encourage you to enter your data soon. The shared info helps us all identify patterns in Tesla's update process.

Last edited:
It appears the car can be driven while 7.0 is installing. Anyone try this yet?
Would you try to use your computer while the operating system is updating?

I realize people are eager, but I don't see a lot of common sense in some of these posts. Best advice is to stay away. Don't touch the car while its updating, much less try to use it. And no, it will not charge while its updating, but will resume charging afterwards. If you need to charge as someone asked above, do so and the install the update later. It will still be there.

Turns out you can run around and do errands during the preliminary stages of the update, you just don't have access to anything on the center console (you can adjust some things like climate temperature using the scroll wheel selector). But once you park somewhere and actual updating stage begins you will be stuck there until the update finishes.

Turns out nothing.

You have one example that --MAY-- have turned out as you think it did, but you really have no idea if all the software is installed properly or not. You may not know that for some time. Actually you may really never know that.

I think about the last thing any one here should do is use your example as an indication that it is just fine to start driving their cars around while they are updating. This is not what Tesla intends. That's why they give us all sorts of flexibility with respect to when to schedule the update. They do this so that we will schedule the update for a window when we don't need to drive the car, because that is how the update is designed to operate.

You played with fire, and for now managed to not get burned. Please don't suggest others do the same.

With 73 reports on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, here are some results for today's 7.0 push:

• 73 total reports
  • 72 over WiFi
  • 2 are to autopilot capable cars on 3G
  • 1 is to a non-autopilot capabile car on WiFi

It seems that the priority is to autopilot capable cars connected via WiFi...

Though note that even the "non-AP" car that got the upgrade is a 70D, meaning that it is AP capable. I still don't see any indication that cars without AP hardware (pre late 2014) have gotten the upgrade.

I'm in no hurry. All it will do is make my car worse.

The tracker shows one car in the "00xxxx" VIN range which is well before Autopilot hardware availability.

It does, but that doesn't square with the chart by trim level; the 00xxxx car would either be an S60, S85, or P85 without Autopilot, and none of those are reported.

I'm guessing there was a data entry error on the VIN, which seems more likely than a data entry on the AP yes-or-no question.

It does, but that doesn't square with the chart by trim level; the 00xxxx car would either be an S60, S85, or P85 without Autopilot, and none of those are reported.

I'm guessing there was a data entry error on the VIN, which seems more likely than a data entry on the AP yes-or-no question.

Check the other v7 thread, someone without AP got it, and showed a screenshot. It is a slightly different layout, mixed old and new.

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

Though note that even the "non-AP" car that got the upgrade is a 70D, meaning that it is AP capable. I still don't see any indication that cars without AP hardware (pre late 2014) have gotten the upgrade.

I'm in no hurry. All it will do is make my car worse.

Thanks! I updated my post and here are the updated numbers:

With 77 reports on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, here are some results for today's 7.0 push:

• 77 total reports
  • 75 over WiFi
  • 2 over 3G
  • With the correction of what seems to be a data entry error, all updates have been to autopilot capable cars.

It seems that the priority is to cars connected via WiFi, and all updates are to autopilot capable cars...

For those that have done the upgrade to 7.0, but have not reported at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, I encourage you to enter your data soon. The shared info helps us all identify patterns in Tesla's update process.

I agree... Maybe Hank will look into it an contact the appropriate individual to correct their data.

Lots of good first impressions here. As a less-than-2-week owner that does not have perhaps as many things set into memory and ways of using his MS, here's my first impressions:
- Couldn't at first figure out what was wrong after getting in my MS after the update. Could not get any addresses to be found for Nav, then noticed my Slacker was out. Finally figured out my LTE was non-existent, so I rebooted the 17" and all was well again. Odd.
- I'm OK with most of the UI changes. It's just cleaner. I do miss having time (not date) on the instrument panel. Agree something isn't quite right with the new climate display. Also am OK with th bigger half-display for music, but wish Tesla would just get rid of the blank album cover if there is never going to be one for XM.
- I do also have a problem with important things in the instrument panel being almost cutoff towards the top... I only had this issue with perhaps some warning icons in the old interface. Moving the steering wheel isn't an option because of long term shoulder comfort, as the seat is already bottomed-out. I have similar issues in other vehicles - Lexus, BMW, MBZ... Comes down to some of us have torsos that are just a bit longer and legs a bit shorter than average, making our eye level a bit higher than average when we are seated. I'd really like Tesla to drop the important stuff down just a tad again in 7.1 and not forget some of us odd-dimensioned owners. ;)
- Autosteer worked very well on a busy rush hour interstate this morning... I was pleasantly surprised. Impressed with the MS staying as centered as it did and didn't appear to wander... I took hold of the wheel in a construction area going probably 45-50 where the concrete was uneven, there were painted lines, but also large black gaps in the shifting sections of the roadway... Would likely have gone over to the other lane too far otherwise. It's always a bumpy area that causes you to take a firmer grip even without Autopilot. Will definitely use Autosteer more in the future, but will keep paying attention to what it's doing.
- TACC is much smoother when approaching a slower vehicle in front. It was far too abrupt in the past. Good tweak in 7.0, but probably more that can be done. My previous Lexus with Radar Crusie Control was smoother than even 7.0 still appears to be.
- Side Collission Warning -- appears to be a good enhancement. From the new instrument panel displays, it sure seems like the MS is more aware of what's going on around than it was before. Need to spend some more time with this, as I think it may have been fooled a couple of times with construction vehicles and long flatbed semi's alongside me (large low open areas between the axles). Not sure on that though as I had Autosteer going and was paying more attention to it. ;)
- Vehicle Hold. Great. Seems just like what I had in my former MBZ, and is a great extension to the too-quick former Hill Assist, and some other brand implementations.
- Climate Control speed definitely seems to get cooler faster. I can't say if it takes less energy to do it though.

Overall, IMHO a very impressive release. Thanks to any Tesla Engineers reading this. Looking forward to 7.1 hopefully refocusing a little on some creature comforts like UI, USB/Music enhancements, and please, an easy entry/exit option so the steering wheel moves out of the way when you exit and comes back into position based on your profile once you get back in -- like other even less expensive luxury brands have -- hint hint. Given where I like my seat position to see e most in the indicator display, I'm gonna wear out my bolster if I don't get the function soon or will soon resort to creating another profile and go through all that rigmarole manually switching back and forth each time I get in and out.

Last edited:
Initial Thoughts:

Autopilot / Driving Updates:

• So awesome! Well done Tesla. This is the beginning of autonomous driving and I really am looking forward to using it more.
  • A few instances where it held the lane in the middle, where I would have planted the car a little more offset inside. I was on city streets - didn't leave room for bikers, etc. on my right side. I know it's meant for highway use right now, just sayin'.
  • Lane change. No problem once you get used to it.
  • TACC seems smoother.
  • Max Power for P85D Insane? Thank you!
  • Updated Hold - I actually liked it when it would free roll a little but, like neutral. But I suppose more "hold" action is safer and probably better.
  • Self-parking - I wasn't able to get it to activate. I tried like 10 times but I must be doing it wrong...

7.0 UI Updates:

• Overall, I LOVE the new flat look design palette. It's beautiful and pleasing to look at.
  • TPMS pressure sensor data - glad to finally see it (45psi for me all around) - but I think it should ALSO be shown on the large screen, not just by changing your mode on the dash display.
  • I like having left side as Media / Nav, right side as Trips. Without the regen showing on the dashboard - I think this was a mistake to remove it. There's plenty of room to put it back. I liked the analog gauges on pre-7.0 better.
  • Clock - I can't think of anyone that would choose to display the analog clock in one of the 2 valuable areas left or right. I think it's a complete waste. I'm really surprised Tesla would do something like this. It seems totally against the spirit of the smart choices they usually make. I think it's completely useless to put it bluntly. That said, the time and temp are persistent on the large display, so it's not that big a deal.

A great day today for Tesla Motors! Look forward to driving more than I usually do, which is already ridiculously satisfying.

and please, an easy entry/exit option so the steering wheel moves out of the way when you exit and comes back into position based on your profile once you get back in

I created a profile with seat further back, angled forward and steering out of the way and named it "Exit".
My wife and I drive about as often in the car, so we use this to help switch out to avoid the dreaded "squeeze into seat and press my name to avoid muscle cramps". ;-)

Thanks! I updated my post and here are the updated numbers:

With 77 reports on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, here are some results for today's 7.0 push:

• 77 total reports
  • 75 over WiFi
  • 2 over 3G

It seems that the priority is to cars connected via WiFi, and all updates are to autopilot capable cars...

As Max* reported, at least one person now seems to have gotten the upgrade on a "classic" Model S.

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S - Page 2